Pix: Custom kerambit & Skean-Dhu

New toy alert: I liked Dan Koster's kerambit design enough that I went to my favorite local knife maker (Lynn Dawson, Prescott Valley, Arizona, lynncustomknives@yahoo.com), for a tactical carry version, which turned out to be about an ounce lighter than the HI version. (If DIJ hadn't been so S-L-O-W in sharing his design, it might have looked more like his :rolleyes::p).

I also got the idea from a cantina discussion to get a custom Skean-Dhu made. Only I didn't just want a highland gentleman's decorative carry blade.

Top pic: the kerambits compared. Lynn's is bead blasted 440-C (Rc 58-60), with a convex edge and black micarta grips. Some at the SWKK saw how well it could be concealed and how fast it could be employed.

Middle Pic: Lynn's Skean-Dhu in 1/8" ATS-34 (Rc 58-60), with black micarta grips. About 4 oz. Able to shave a ripe peach.

Bottom Pic: The Skean-Dhu from the top showing the traditional "jimping".

Attachments

• kerambits_1.jpg
    kerambits_1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Skean-Dhu.jpg
    Skean-Dhu.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Skean-Dhu_Top.jpg
    Skean-Dhu_Top.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 60
Yup, dayumed nice Karambit and also very, very, quick as Jim says.:cool: :D :cool:

Now that looks like a real Skean Dubh although I like the looks of the traditional carved handle better I'm betting this one is more comfortable.:D

Jim has some really nice pieces in his collection and some of the best kydex scabbards for khuks I've ever seen!!!! :D :cool:
I just can't see any ever being any better and I especially can't see any ever being made that are more beautiful.
And that's a lot coming from me! :grumpy: ;) Usually kydex is way down on my choice for scabbard or sheath material.:barf:

It's freakin beautiful!
Well done indeed.
The mailman missed me this morning but he's coming back this afternoon with my new Dankura ( I Think)
It might just be the necker and the kerambit with the Tom Krein sheath.
Either way, I ll post some tiny pics.

Interesting sgain dubh. I think it is true to the original spirit of the "black knife."

Nice work! 8 inches and only 4 oz. I love ATS-34. That's something I'm going to have to add to my list for when I'm not so broke! Thanks for sharing.

Norm

There was some good Skean Dhu stuff in this old thread... Maybe it was the discussion good Rio Jim speaks of... :p

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310729&highlight=Skean+Dhu

I'm with Yvsa- that may not be totally traditional but looks mo' better in the hand. I still need a SD; custom is the way to go. Many junky ones for bagpipe players, Cold Steel's isn't quite there either. Spare me the fake jewel hilt, too. Maybe a semiprecious real rock, if one has to have one.

Ad Astra

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the Skean Dhu, I first gave Lynn a composite graphic showing a more traditional handle. However, I wanted form to follow function and didn't want anything ornate. So no setting of a cairngorm, or interlaced knot design either. I wanted a full tang with micarta slabs, and something that would lie well in the hand. I also wanted a blade that would work well for daily carry and a variety of other uses, like a SCUBA sleeve knife. Attempts to simplify the traditional grip usually wound up with something akin to a commando shape. Also with no hilt, I wanted a good grip that would keep me from sliding onto the blade. Finally, I fell back on the K.I.S.S. principle and opted for a concave grip. That also cut unnecess[font=&quot]ary handle[/font] weight. There are traditional grips with a straight or stag handle, so I felt I had a little maneuver room. By the bye, Lynn is expecting her first child, so she was getting kicked by a 10 lb bowling ball while on the grinder:barf:;). Her husband, Dennis Cook is also a fine knife maker, and she learned her art from her uncle, Barry Dawson from Durango, Colorado, who does very nice work.

Its a wicked looking skean. Just the kind of thing to take drinking in the company of a dozen drunken Scotsmen.
Have you tried it in your sock?
Is it light enough for the sock to hold up or does it need some ribbon ?

DannyinJapan said:
Have you tried it in your sock? Is it light enough for the sock to hold up or does it need some ribbon ?
I wore it in my kilt hose yesterday at the 2005 Prescott Highland Games, and it was light enough, but then I was wearing the traditional hose garters. I wore another that was 1.5 oz lighter, on a 20 mi backpacking trip, with no hose slippage. The kydex holds it securely with the pocket clip over the top of the hose, and the garter holds it firm enough to draw without taking the sheath with it. The knife will fit in the sheath either way -- blade forward or toward the rear.

Back