Pix from Afghanistan

Sylvrfalcn, I don't have any good bug or snake stories to share. ...But how about a really good recipe for an effective insecticide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1/4 Dishwashing liquid
1/4 Water
1/2 Beer

Place all ingredients into a spray bottle, shake a little to mix. Aim and spray. A semi-mist works better than a direct stream, unless your dealing with the really big ones. Your looking to moisten the critters just enough to thoroughly cover their bodies, submersion is not required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The beauty of this concocction is that it's NONTOXIC to humans, pets AND actually the insects themselves! The way it kills is this:

1) The dishwashing liquid acts as an surfacant by breaking down the surface tension of water. As an example, 'you know how if you carefully fill up a glass to the top with water -you can still add a few more drops. The water forms a sorta rounded 'dome' before it finally has to spill over from the volume. A surfacant will prevent the water molecules from being attracted to themselves and creating this surface tension.

2) Alcohol is a bipolar molecule. One of it's ends is soluble in water and the other is soluble in lipids (oils, fats, waxes). So it will dissolve lipids and still rinse away clean with water.

3) Insects DO breathe. But they don't utilize active respiration like larger animals. Instead they have a 'lung apparatus'. Which is basically
a permeable membrane that oxygen passively diffuses accross and this fully meets their oxygen needs.

*So anyway, the beer dissolves/washes away the oily protective cover that many insects have on their bodies and the dishwashing liquid allows the water to run freely into all the nooks and crannies (i.e. the water covers their 'lungs' and they drown/suffocate).

This is a tried an true recipe! I am unfortunately involved in a war for the kitchen with a colony of ants. One misting stops them in 2-3 seconds. A coarse spray will knock a Black-Widow out of her web cold dead in just as short a time. Las Vegas has a large Black-Widow population. Average size is 3/4" accross the legs, with a 3/16" abdomen bulb. The largest one I've seen was 1 1/2" across leg span with a full 3/8" abdomen bulb! I'm sure that b!tch has widowed some husbands in her time :( Have not tried this formula on cockroaches yet (don't have any in the apt. -thank goodness). Imagine it might take a little longer to work on them, 'cause their as tough as nails. But seriously, if anyone is looking for an effective alternative to those neurotoxin insecticides sold in stores, please try this! It's cheap to make, nontoxic and works.

somehow fitting....that a cat would know how best to get rid of bugs. ;)

In Savannah, my cats would eat the water bugs and leave the legs behind...how nice of them, eh?

Thanks Bill, sounds like something worth giving a try here at home. Unfortuneately, no can do over there. General Order Number One prohibits, among other things, alcohol of any kind. Beautiful mountains, bombs, and beer? We should be so lucky:cool:

Sarge

Dear Bill the Cat; thought I'd share an old dream of mine, not seen much anymore, but still effective...bet you know how it feels...ever been in a old shed completely widow infested? So that with every turn you struck another web? I have. Did I mention it is nearly too dark to see?

This has happened a few times in my life. And used to be a periodic dream. Always took it as a warning...then the Rattlesnake dreams surplanted it....

One good thing about Montana...no more black widows...not like California. Oh, there's one or two, but nothing to jump at.
Once in San Bernardino I feel asleep with my hand dangling in a web....right next to the sofa..
munk

My best friend once used a 45 Gold Cup Match and 230 gr. ball to take out a really big black widow that was out of reach in the shop once. One shot did it. Can't say I blamed him.

Pleasant dreams all. I for one have no problem admitting some of the above posts give me the willies - how badly will remain to be seen when/if I wake up in a cold sweat at 4 AM this morning.

No black widows, no centipedes, no tarantulas, no rattle snakes. There's a reason that Maine's slogan is "the way life should be!";) :p

Now if we could just get rid of mosquitos, black flies, ticks and tourists.....;) :D

according to the Audubon field guide, SW Maine has the Timber rattler on the edge.

What do you got? Three of them? Last seen heading south?

NO mosquitos where I am in Montana, but have the ticks, black flies, and tourists. Would Maine have as many jobs without tourists?

munk

Would Maine have as many jobs without tourists?

Maine's economy would likely tank without them to be honest. Its not the tourists I mind so much as the ones who move up here and then try and make Maine just like where they came from (ie. no hunting, no carry permits etc etc.....). Of course we've got native residents who think that way, but not nearly as many.:mad:

Sarge, take me along as your Supply Sgt. We WILL have alcohol -- guaranteed>>> B. Martino

Even if Bill has to make it himself.

not the tourists I mind so much as the ones who move up here and then try and make Maine just like where they came from (ie. no hunting, no carry permits etc etc.....). >>> Maurob

and that, is the story of man...
but as you say, more and more local's feel that way too...ban ban ban

munk

I've thot they would myself. I don't do the seabugs, but chitin is chitin, right?

Looks like youse guys had some fun last night, talking creepy crawlies.

Iceland, by the way,is bug-free. They only have a few species of any animals, for that matter. Mice, arctic fox, puffins, and ravens, plus seals sea lions, that's about it. Gotta like fish if you live on an island, tho.

Keith

Wow, and to think we have no large, poisonous spiders in Poland... we're sooo lucky:)
Sylvrfalcn, I wish you luck in Afghanistan; hope you guys will be fine and will kick some butts before you come back home :cool:
Btw, did you ever meet up there someone from the Polish sf squad called GROM? They've been sent to Afghanistan few weeks ago and I heard their job is mostly to protect the bases, so I immediately thought about yours:)
And again, what do the Afghans say about your khukuri? They use large knives, too, so it could be quite interesting to know their opinion on the subject.

Sharri;
I haven't quite got there yet, the pics are from guys already there.
How close am I to leaving? Well, I've got sore arms from all the shots they stuck us with yesterday, and we'll be starting our regimen of anti-malaria pills next Tuesday.
I don't know exactly what units are on the ground where I'm going, but I'll try and look up the Polish SF guys and let you know when I get there. I do know a Polish mine clearing team has been operating over there for some time now. Don't know if you've ever been around mined areas, but I can tell you those guys are my heroes. To see innocent civilians, especially children and elderly, that have been maimed and crippled by land mines, is a horrible horrible thing. Mine removal isn't flashy or exciting, so it doesn't often make the news, but you can be proud of the job your countrymen are doing. They're making a difference.

Sarge

of all the thankless jobs...I've thought that too, Sarge; those guys looking for mines do all the hard work for little recognition. I don't think I've read of a skirmish the US has been involved in the last 10 years when a team hasn't been injured or killed.

Painstaking...can't drift off...must pay attention..can't get excited...what a job.

It is against human nature to do that job.

munk

Heroes, Truly. These guys are like the super-trashmen! If you consider trash to be hi explosives layin around your neighborhood, that is.

Buddy of mine was wounded in Desert Storm when his tank hit a landmine. Shaped charge shot shards of metal thru the bottom of the tank, he was wounded by ricocheting metal in the leg, all 3 crew were bleeding from nose, eyes, ears, from concussion. Other than than and having to kill people, he said it weren't that bad.

Keith

I agree with you totally, Sarge, those people are doing a great job. And a dangerous one, too. Few days ago one of them was badly wounded and is now coming back to Poland to recuperate. I am in fact very proud that our soldiers are there side by side with the best troops of the world, trying to make a difference. I'll be looking forward to get any news from your part, and wish you again all the best in Afghanistan!

If my memory serves me one more time I think I recall a group of Polish pilots flying out of England during WWII -- guys who just would not quit. Hats off!

Your memory is as good as always, Uncle Bill. During the Battle of Britain there were two Polish fighter squadrons 302 and 303 (100 men in total) who proved themselves to be among the best pilots of all, scoring more then 160 Nazi planes. Ironically, when some of them came back to Poland after the end of the war, they were immediately arrested by the communists and spent long years in prisons. The others, who decided to stay in England or USA stayed in business as well. I heard at least one of them was later flying in Air America:)
When I was thirteen, after I read a book about them, I decided I would be a pilot:)

Your memory is as good as always, Uncle Bill. During the Battle of Britain there were two Polish fighter squadrons 302 and 303 (100 men in total) who proved themselves to be among the best pilots of all, scoring more then 160 Nazi planes>>> Sharri

I wanted to say that typical of age you remember long-ago facts and actions, but can't recall what you had for breakfast. We are all going down together..

What happened to those Poles sounds a lot like the Apache Scouts hired by the Government to tract Apache 'hostiles', without whom, (and old Al) Geronimo would have been hanging about for many more years. They shipped them off to federal prison with the 'enemy' they'd worked to capture and later, Florida, I believe.

Studying US history shows the Federal government an equal opportunity destroyer: they crush the bad with the good. Makes no difference to the big machine where the treads go and who gets squashed. Kind of beautifull in it's way...defines 'idiot stupid'.

munk no breakfast, just rant

There ain't no justice.

I have a pal, old retired college prof today, who got drafted into the French Foreign Legion at age 16 during the dark days of France during WWII. He was captured by the Nazis and later "liberated" by the Russians. When he finally got back to France they told him he had to finish his tour of duty in the Legion and shipped him off to Viet Nam where he served for 4 years.

Back