Plain edge Adventurer?

Lee D

BANNED
I have an Adventurer that I like, except for one thing...the serrated blade. When I bought it there was no mention of it being serrated, but I went ahead and kept it anyway.
I find myself not carrying it very often because I...
1. Know Victorinox steel runs a bit on the soft side, and
2. I despise sharpening serrated edges.

So I’m gonna ask the more knowledgeable members here...is there an EXACT SAME KNIFE with a plain edge blade available?

Thanks in advance
Lee

I have an Adventurer that I like, except for one thing...the serrated blade. When I bought it there was no mention of it being serrated, but I went ahead and kept it anyway.
I find myself not carrying it very often because I...
1. Know Victorinox steel runs a bit on the soft side, and
2. I despise sharpening serrated edges.

So I’m gonna ask the more knowledgeable members here...is there an EXACT SAME KNIFE with a plain edge blade available?

Thanks in advance
Lee
That's annoying. Did you get a slide lock type? Pretty sure the new liner lock replacement has a plain edge blade. Maybe best ask the merchant about the blade specifics, if buying online.
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Adventurer

When I ordered a Trailmaster/Trekker a couple of years ago I received the OHO serrated blade instead of the plain edge nail nick I was expecting from the description. It turned out the latter variant was no longer in production and the description hadn't been updated. It was a common website error. I did find one eventually (was sure to ask first) and sold the OHO unused.

That's annoying. Did you get a slide lock type? Pretty sure the new liner lock replacement has a plain edge blade. Maybe best ask the merchant about the blade specifics, if buying online.
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Adventurer

When I ordered a Trailmaster/Trekker a couple of years ago I received the OHO serrated blade instead of the plain edge nail nick I was expecting from the description. It turned out the latter variant was no longer in production and the description hadn't been updated. It was a common website error. I did find one eventually (was sure to ask first) and sold the OHO unused.
It is the slide lock, which is my preference. I found this one on sale and the pics didn’t show it being serrated, so I placed the order without checking for variations. Oh well... live and learn

Vic steel may be soft but their serrations last longer than the plain edge.

Sharpening Vic's serrations isn't so hard if you have one of their pocket sharpeners. Just run the cut side of the blade lightly along the narrow edge of the sharpener and finish with a swipe on the other side. I think there's a "how to" video on Youtube by Victorinox.

I do accept that serrations don't suit all purposes. That's why I like the pairing of the serrated large blade with the PE small blade of the serrated Spartans and Recruits.

Never heard of a side lock Adventurer being serrated. Probably need to check my inventory. ;) I have a few spares if you're interested. I ordered them back when they discontinued the knife. It of course was later re-introduced as a liner lock. They aren't real commonly seen at dealers.

The only place I have seen side locking Adventurers has been fleabay. Dealers sold their inventory years ago.

Last edited:
Never heard of a side lock Adventurer being serrated. Probably need to check my inventory. ;) I have a few spares if you're interested. I ordered them back when they discontinued the knife. It of course was later re-introduced as a liner lock. They aren't real commonly seen at dealers.

The only place I have seen side locking Adventurers has been fleabay. Dealers sold their inventory years ago.
Thank you sir, that’s very kind of you.
I can’t remember where I bought mine but it most definitely wasn’t Fleabay

Thank you sir, that’s very kind of you.
I can’t remember where I bought mine but it most definitely wasn’t Fleabay

I did some searching after reading about the serrated edge. I was curious. I saw a boys scout version with the serrated edge. Feel sure it was a liner lock version as it is current inventory.

Lee D Lee D I would suggest you call them and verify whether it is serrated or not or side locking vs liner lock. DLT's price is great if that is what you're looking for, and one I wouldn't match. I paid more than that years ago.

I’ve decided I’m moving it to a camping bag. The basic tools for camping (cap lifter and can opener) and that serrated blade should work well for cutting up snacks for my granddaughter, as well as food prep. Who knows, it might be the perfect folder for camping?

*and thank you 22-rimfire for your input

Last edited:
Yes. I think it's called the Picnicker. It's liner locked main blade and cap lifter, just a tab embossed "PRESS" to close. Same knife as the Adventurer, with the plain blade instead of serrated also has the corkscrew instead of Phillips driver. I just checked, Amazon has SAK Adventurers with plain blades.

Last edited:
If you really don't want the serrations, they are not hard at all to remove. I did it on my one hand trekker with the Lansky. You could do it just as well on a good wet stone. The steel is easy to work with and the result is very nice. I enjoy my trekker much more without the serrations and the blade looks like it came from the factory that way.
Bob

If you really don't want the serrations, they are not hard at all to remove. I did it on my one hand trekker with the Lansky. You could do it just as well on a good wet stone. The steel is easy to work with and the result is very nice. I enjoy my trekker much more without the serrations and the blade looks like it came from the factory that way.
Bob

Do you have a picture of it?

Bob
Looking at mine, it seems like I’d have to remove a lot of material.

Looking at mine, it seems like I’d have to remove a lot of material.
Me, I would just buy another if possible as the serrated version may just come in handy for tasks like cutting snacks for your grand daughter. Might be a little small for car camping (cooking), but would certainly do in a pinch. The newer models don't have the more aggressive serrations like yours. I have one of their models with both the long blade (plain) and the long blade finely serrated I suspect for seat belts or bandages. I do like Vics serrations on their knives with a plain edge near the pivot and serrated toward the tip. To me that is a good functional design (versus the opposite on many partially serrated knives). The Adventurer was my favorite SAK for years!

The Adventurer was my favorite SAK for years!
It’ll probably be used for summer sausage, cheese, fruit, veggies, tomatoes for sandwiches... nothing requiring a larger knife, so I think it’ll do the job. I bring 4-6” fixed blades for anything else.
If I remembered correctly you’re the fella that carried one before downsizing...also, are you the one who coined the phrase “111mm Tinker”? I’d never heard that one before but it definitely stuck with me.

It’ll probably be used for summer sausage, cheese, fruit, veggies, tomatoes for sandwiches... nothing requiring a larger knife, so I think it’ll do the job. I bring 4-6” fixed blades for anything else.
If I remembered correctly you’re the fella that carried one before downsizing...also, are you the one who coined the phrase “111mm Tinker”? I’d never heard that one before but it definitely stuck with me.
I would do the same. But I try to keep my plain edge One-Handed Trekker for woods use but it gets forgotten more often than not unless I really plan my accessories when I head to the woods. My planning focus for woods wandering is photography gear, so I often don't think about adding a knife beyond my regular carry. Works fine in most cases. But the larger saw does come in handy for trimming a branch, or plant say that might be growing next to a mushroom from being distracting in a picture.

I did downsize to the Small Tinker from the side-locking Adventurer. Loved that knife and that's why have a few spares. I only buy spares of my favorite knives or the ones I really depend on. I may change back at some time? I do refer to the Adventurer as a 111mm Tinker (without the small blade). I have always liked the Tinker's tool set and thin two layer design. Never was a cork screw knife person.

Back