Plate quench 1095

the plates would not be touching the bevel, so i cannot see how it would work, but i am eager to read other responses.

Just to clarify. I'm not proposing that it works, but I was sent this screen shot and asked if it did. Hence, this post. I don't see how his could work well, if at all.

just doesn't sound reasonable, especially with 1/8" stock. now if he said he got those results after a hot brine quench, it might be believed

HOT brine quench ? Any time you heat a quenchant you slow the cooling rate. I don't have the numbers at hand , but brine , water , oil, plate quench are in that order of cooling rate. Quenchant temperature , blade thickness ,HT temperature are the limiting factors. If plate quenching the most practical is aluminum. Make sure your HT coupons are similar to the blade as far as thickness.
Plate quench is too slow for 1095.

With all the debates of slower oils not working on 1095, why anyone would claim that plate quenching it would work is beyond me.

With all the debates of slower oils not working on 1095, why anyone would claim that plate quenching it would work is beyond me.
That's my thought. But the guy who is saying this is basically telling me I don't know what I'm talking about ( which is admittedly often the case). I just told him to go ahead and try it if he's so sure.

Last edited:
I am FB friends with Tim... but couldn't find this discussion.... link?

Won't work with blade geometries that pull away from the plates. I don't doubt that 1/8" x 1" bar COULD harden between steel plates. What was the temperature and dimensions of the plates?

Does 1095 not require a fast quenching oil? Like less than a second or two to get below the magic temperature? Doesn't seem like aluminum plates would get there that quick.

Note: on the topic of bevels not touching the quench plates, for most all steels that can be plate quenched, bevels not touching plates isn't an issue. For AEB-L/13C26 the temperature must fall below 1100⁰F range in 2 minutes for full hardening to happen. The thin bevel portion of blade will be well below that temp is well less than 2 minutes.

Ken H>

I am FB friends with Tim... but couldn't find this discussion.... link?

Won't work with blade geometries that pull away from the plates. I don't doubt that 1/8" x 1" bar COULD harden between steel plates. What was the temperature and dimensions of the plates?
The discussion was not with Tim. Another person just posted that screenshot.

fastest steel i have plate quenched was O1 and it was unbeveled and 3/32 thick and even then i feel like i was pushing it

Rubbish, I have tried to plate quench thin(.072 & .090) 15n20 and it gets hard but not that hard and not even close to what a proper quench would bring.

Any idea what the TT chart shows for how fast 15n20 requires on a quench? If it happens to require a fast quench while 1095 might require a slower quench the results could be different using a plate.

I think the thread was deleted. The guy proposing plate quenching 1095 didn't appreciate me wanting more proof than his word about someone else's screenshot of a post. Crazy right?

Back