• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Please DELETE this Mess. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool story.

Yet here you are.

Probably because he has a point about everybody saying they have a “custom” knife at mid-tech prices sucking up half a page. If I sharpen a piece of rebar on the garage floor and wrap 550 cord around the handle, is it a “custom fixed blade”?

Just did.

No.
Still not wringing my hands.

Yep, like I said, simply curious. I’ve seen you invest much more time for much less outcome and/or entertainment.

Nope. Still no point. Price does not dictate custom status. I want to know what he thinks does.

Yay.

Whatever.

I think Paratrooper nailed it in one sentence. I could sharpen a piece of rebar, wrap the other side for a handle and call it a custom fixed blade.
This again seems to be an argument about somehow vetting the custom entries to meet some quality criteria, not at all about separating fixed and folders, nor do I see how doing that would fix this issue. Crappy customs would still be sold in the custom section, just like crappy production knives are still sold in the production knife section.

Yeah half of it was in jest but I guess only a few got that. I grew up on the West side of Chicago to a single welfare mother. I'm far from entitled. So I'm soooo very sorry that it came across as snobbish - heck I was trying to have some fun. But the real reason I started the thread was exactly what I said in the original post - I, PERSONALLY, would like to see separate threads. That's it. I'm sorry my approach drove a semi through people's insecurities when it comes to money as it was not my intention.

And what was your question Ant Dog?
You can read, correct? The sentences in that post that end with “?” were my questions.

In today's market, there seems to be a "grey area" as to what dictates a custom knife. BUT, again, all I was saying is that I, PERSONALLY, for whatever my reasons are, I would like to see it split into two categories. And that's it.
In that case, I'll just agree that, regardless of my opinions about your reasons, I don't think separating them is a bad idea at all.

I'm the opposite of the OP. I would like to not have to wade through all of the folders to see the fixed blades. But I would've just sent Spark a PM about it. But it's not that big of a deal to me. Some of the folders are pretty nice although I would never pay that much for a folder, unless I won the lottery; maybe.

So are you just suggesting a fancy custom section?
Also, am I right if I assume that folders are generally being posted the way you like? (Aside from being mixed in with fixed.)
If this is a popular peeve, I guess one could just put fixed or folder in the title?

Asking because I'm new, Is a knife that the customer designs and the maker executes considered a custom regardless of price?

I'm the opposite of the OP. I would like to not have to wade through all of the folders to see the fixed blades.

This. I'd also like to have a separate Individuals -> Custom Fixed section, as I'm not too interested in pre-owned Custom Folders (currently, at least). And Custom Traditionals would be cool, too :)

That being said, the OP could have put it better.

Then there's the Fixed Blade section that is for production fixed blades as I understand it. Yes, more and more as of lately, the Custom Knife section is being flooded with these sub $500 custom fixed blades.
Here are some custom fixed blades which were all under $500-00 when new. Are you saying these are sub-standard?
There are many excellent custom makers that choose to make an affordable user/edc. Why does price disqualify them from being sold in the custom knife section?

Okay, I'm not sure how important ad/or relevant this is but I see it as a problem and a hinderance to my buying/selling experience here on BF. Not like I can sell anything much for whatever reason (probably cause I don't play "I'm Desperate" or Bottom Basement or "Lowball me to Oblivion" but anyways)

The Custom Knife Section - cool place I like to hang out. Lots of good albeit expensive knives that I love looking through and sometimes buying (cause I can't sell anything here)

Then there's the Fixed Blade section that is for production fixed blades as I understand it. Yes, more and more as of lately, the Custom Knife section is being flooded with these sub $500 custom fixed blades. Which in my opinion detract from the true customs and push down the quality items. (Again, my opinion) Right now 8 of 20 on the first page are fixed and we're not talking Loveless here.

I really wish there was a Custom Folder and Custom Fixed section, independent of each other. Would make my time here easier and more enjoyable.

So what do you guys think? Anyone care? Buller? Please no fireworks. Thanks in advance for whatever you choose to contribute to my little rant here. :rolleyes:

Quoted for posterity

Yes, I like fancy expensive folders and I want their own section for those and those only. And every single person who likes $500 and under fixed knives is somewhat of a peasant or something? It's fascinating to me the way the post was taken by some. My favorite knife (not sure why) is a "SUB$500" Pacific Cutlery fixed blade Timba so go figure. 🗡️ It's also interesting to me that this forum is not divided by race, age, or class but obviously by money. 😩

It was taken that way because you made it sound that way by including it in your OP.

If your only point was that you want to see custom knives for sale separated by fixed and folder, why even include a price point? You muddied your own water there, mate.

Would you mind the sub $200 handmade/custom folders I have in the new custom folders section?

Yes, I like fancy expensive folders and I want their own section for those and those only. And every single person who likes $500 and under fixed knives is somewhat of a peasant or something? It's fascinating to me the way the post was taken by some. My favorite knife (not sure why) is a "SUB$500" Pacific Cutlery fixed blade Timba so go figure. 🗡️ It's also interesting to me that this forum is not divided by race, age, or class but obviously by money. 😩
You wrote the original post where you stipulated price and inferred that everything under that price was inferior.

You argued that point and continued the sarcastic comments as though you are better, and understand more than the rest of us.

Now you try and justify your poorly held position with insults?? Well done.:rolleyes:

My guy, you made it about money in your very first post. Maybe you didn't mean to, or were trying to convey something else, but there are a lot of talented custom knife makers on this forum putting out some really nice fixed blades for well under $500 and, again whether you meant to or not, you came in and took a crap on all their work without exception. You're absolutely going to get blowback for that, even if the end solution you end up at is a fairly good idea.

Maybe you didn't mean to, but you did it to yourself. "... the Custom Knife section is being flooded with these sub $500 custom fixed blades. Which in my opinion detract from the true customs and push down the quality items.... "

In other words, you wrote that any sub $500 custom fixed blade is neither a "true custom" nor a "quality item."

All you really wanted, I'm guessing, is splitting custom folders from custom fixed blades, which I support.

If all you are asking for is a split between custom fixed and folders, that is simple enough, and each can give their opinion. However if you ? what deserves to be called a custom fixed(which seems to bother you only if mixed with folders), then that gets to be much trickier. Other than the simple answer custom, who is to decide. Price is not a good indicator of quality, and often is more due to popularity. What I might think is pure junk another might cherish. I know of one knife maker that makes some knives that look to be sharpened scrap (I am thinking beer bet), but people buy them(at a decent price) and are proud of their purchase. All in the eye of the beholder.
But at best we can only give opinions, if you want to get anything done take it to the administration.

Last edited:
I have no problem with the idea of dividing Custom Knives (Individual) into fixed vs folder sections but further subdivisions by price point seems like a solution in search of a problem.

... sub $500 custom fixed blades. Which in my opinion detract from the true customs ...

How would you describe/define true customs ? This is issue, not the Fixed vs Folder thing.

Sounds more like you want a split in the customs for sale section between true customs and not so true customs.(???)

If you're going to split in Fixed and Folder this R. Loveless ends up between the not so true customs and that's exactly what you DON'T seem to like.

It seems to come down to the money issue and that can never be the criteria. Do you see my point ?

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back