Please help dumb noob

Hi all!
I feel like a complete idiot here... I've been into knives my whole life, well before I ever found BF. I've owned and sold many, and have been on a real edc fixie kick for about a year now.
I've had smith and sons, winkler, carothers, trc, esee, spyderco, Bradfords etc....but I have yet to ever see a busse in person, and with such an amazing reputation as just the grandaddy of fixed blades, well I think I want to find one to try.

Here is my problem: why am I having so much trouble learning about busse? I've read the whole website through like 3 times today, I understand everything I read, but why cant I find like just a list of current models in production, along with specs and prices like every other maker I've researched? I can recite the rules for ordering by heart but I cant find the foggiest info about the knives themselves, I wouldn't even know what I would want to order.

I did find the bussecollector website which had a comprehensive list of all past models, but again no pictures, but at least I could then google the names and find out what each model is. And then the sale thread confused me too, there are so many acronyms.

I am willing to throw myself out there as an idiot in order to learn more lol. Could anyone point me in the right direction where a total noob can get an education on busse knives?

From the pics I found, the one that it seems like I would want is a Busse Combat active duty, with FFG satin INFI, and I'd be ok with a number of different handles. For a sheath I'd love a taco kydex, but I could always have it made if it didnt come with one. That seems the most appealing size/configuration I've seen so far. Max OAL 7-8, blade 3-3.5 is the size I like.

Based on that info, can I please ask for input from the Busse lovers on two things:

A) Any other models you think are similar size that i should look at?
B) If that is the one I decide I would like, what would be the best way to get it? Do I just watch the exchange, or do I place an order via email, or place a WTB request? And if I find one used in decent condition, or even new, what would be a fair price range I should expect?

Thank you all SO much for whatever time you could spare to help me understand how things work!
Merry Christmas!

I think that the Exchange is the best place to learn...and....you'll see available knives. Some Sellers are even motivated to type out the whole model name (and not just the acronym).

You cannot have only one........

BTW, what does WTB stand for? IDK :D

:thumbsup:

I think that the Exchange is the best place to learn...and....you'll see available knives. Some Sellers are even motivated to type out the whole model name (and not just the acronym).

You cannot have only one........

BTW, what does WTB stand for? IDK :D

:thumbsup:
I thought the exchange might be a good place to start too, but over the first several pages it was almost all the big bruiser models....which in all fairness seems to be what busse is famous for LOL. Not many recent posts of the sub 8" edc sized blades I like.
WTB = want to buy, asking if anyone has a X to sell in the exchange :D
Thanks for the input!

Good luck, Sir. It takes awhile to learn The Way of The Bussekin.

Try online searching for Busse Collector. com. Which I see you started. Also the Archive of Busse Bad Mojo. Punch model names in Google Images. And look.

Also absorbing a lot of info on here helps

Best yet? Find someone on here that knows a lot, and lives on your area. Take them to lunch, and take good notes.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
OP I too had the same issues on the Busse website with the simplest most obvious questions of what knives can you buy.

So glad you posted I didn't have the balls to although I had the same questions and have found very similar issues on other Knife maker websites.

Apparently making great knives does not a great website designer make.

Watch the exchange and research the knives that interest you. I found that most of the knives here are usually priced fairly. Thats a lot of what
you have to learn is handle material, blade finish , with or without a sheath ( some of these knives come with expensive fancy sheath)
and then how bad the Hog beat on it. Pretty hard to do usually takes a lawn mower or some kind heavy equipment to do much damage.
If you are not in a rush most all of them show up over time .
Welcome and have fun

The Park Ranger has a 4” blade and a saber grind. Not quite what you’re looking for, but it’s pretty awesome. But like you said: Busse isn’t really known for knives in the size category you’re looking for.

A few to models consider , then you can start with Scrapyard and Swamp Rat . Keep you busy over the holidays
t4i8svL.jpg

I'm a relatively new piglet here and can understand your frustrations in learning the way of the Busse.

Busse doesn't have much in the way of production in-stock sales. That's predominately what function the exchange forum here serves. Most of their offerings are limited run, you order what you want, wait a while for production, and count down for the credit card and shipping "dings". There are some "current-standard" offerings on the Busse website, but again, they're built-to-order with a wait time. (Highly recommend the CG Ratmandu, aka RMD, and BG battle mistress... The Rucki and AK are also awesome if short swords are your thing. I do have both and lov'em.) But again, we have no idea how long those "current-standard" offerings will be there.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of standard nomenclature to what each knife model is... There's not much rhyme, reason, or correlation between knife name and knife size/material. Occasionally, the handle shape (SF, ASH, SH, or NF, etc.) can make its way into the knife name, but not always. Often those will be knives that have gone through different iterations/versions.

The two major types of steel at play now are INFI (proprietary) and SR101 (proprietary heat treated 52100). Usually, anything with a Busse name on it is INFI, unless it's "Battle Grade", which is the SR101 version of what was once offered in INFI. Anything Swamp Rat is usually SR101, unless otherwise noted, like the recent run of INFI FHFG Ratmandu (INFI steel, Full Height Flat Grind). Really, I think the RMD series of knives are some of the best 5" knives out there, whether it's INFI or SR101, saber grind or FHFG.

Some designs are much more utilitarian while others are much more combat-oriented or.... Even just sexy/badass/baller, depending on your preferences. But they're all beautiful; all can be as practical as you make it.

Standard offerings usually come with choices of canvas micarta or G10 handles. Occasionally, you'll get chances to score some nice custom handles that are truly works of art.

Welcome to the insanity!

I’m gonna make it as easy as I can for you...

Buy that Boss Street that’s listed in the exchange and never look back. You’ll be set.
One word... Infimandu!
Both beautiful, but both a good chunk bigger than what I'm looking for. I drive for a living, so sub 8" overall is really what I've found to be the sweet spot.
Good luck, Sir. It takes awhile to learn The Way of The Bussekin.

Try online searching for Busse Collector. com. Which I see you started. Also the Archive of Busse Bad Mojo. Punch model names in Google Images. And look.

Also absorbing a lot of info on here helps

Best yet? Find someone on here that knows a lot, and lives on your area. Take them to lunch, and take good notes.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Thank you for the advice!

OP I too had the same issues on the Busse website with the simplest most obvious questions of what knives can you buy.

So glad you posted I didn't have the balls to although I had the same questions and have found very similar issues on other Knife maker websites.

Apparently making great knives does not a great website designer make.
I'm thinking it's an error, because if you look at the custom site its perfect!
All models are listed with stats and pics just like every other knife website I've ever see. Weird haha

Watch the exchange and research the knives that interest you. I found that most of the knives here are usually priced fairly. Thats a lot of what
you have to learn is handle material, blade finish , with or without a sheath ( some of these knives come with expensive fancy sheath)
and then how bad the Hog beat on it. Pretty hard to do usually takes a lawn mower or some kind heavy equipment to do much damage.
If you are not in a rush most all of them show up over time .
Welcome and have fun
Yeah I just spent a bit more time doing just that. I'm starting to see the picture clearer. I think if I keep a watch on it eventually something will click for me. Thanks !

The Park Ranger has a 4” blade and a saber grind. Not quite what you’re looking for, but it’s pretty awesome. But like you said: Busse isn’t really known for knives in the size category you’re looking for.
Definitely a good looker. Too big for my edc taste, but as a bushcraft outdoor knife I could see that in my future if I'm impressed with my first one haha.
Thanks

The link below is where I go to reference all the current/former models. Save it in your favorites.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/busse-2019-offerings.1634299/

Here is a link to a lot of the color options.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/color-combination-vault.1678560/

Like you said, I also find the old Busse Collector website pretty helpful with past models.
https://www.bussecollector.com/catalog/

I have Buy Brown kydex sheaths on all of my Bussekin. Best in the business.
https://buybrownind.com/

I've only been a Busse piglet for a year and have learned a lot. It doesn't take long...

Busse EDC I would go for the Park Ranger, Cultellus, Boss Street, Mean Street, Active Duty, or the Mentor.

Last edited:
When I think "Busse EDC" I think Anniversary Mean Street (AMS). For something a bit bigger that spans the EDC and Outdoors Blade catagories I like the Son of Badger (SOB). For a Kephart-ish camping/bushcraft knife I like the Hog Badger and the Boss Jack.

And dont be afraid to try, or feel that SR101 versions of any blades you want to try are "inferior" to its INFI counterparts. It's great stuff, and I actually prefer it's edge holding capability when used for "normal" knife use.

I don’t have any Busse knives. That doesn’t mean I don’t want any, just don’t have any. The smaller Busse I wish I did have is the Anniversary Mean Street. I had a Swamp Rat Rodent Solution that was a sweet knife, but ended up trading it for a Gossman Tusker Companion. I also just got one of the new flat grind Infidu’s. The Ratmandu is one of the few Bussekin that you actually can go online and order (everyone should own at least one RMD). Otherwise it’s a wait and see what’s coming up or eyeing the exchange like a hawk.

Good luck my friend and Merry Christmas!

The AMS, Mentor, & Whiskey Warden are asking the smaller Busse's is like to have... I would LOVE to see more small blades in SR101 (OAL ~7", and thin).

I've got a bunch that I'd be willing to part with to hook a new piglet up. I've got a mentor (no sheath) and a swamp Warden with a neck sheath that I'm pretty sure will take a tek lock.
tu72cyy.jpg

You can email me at christconnell at Yahoo when you're ready.

The swamp rat rodent 3 in sr101 might be up your alley, otherwise I'd recommend taking a look at the busse combat Game warden in INFI.

Back