Please help dumb noob

Don’t feel too bad. When I first got into Busse a few years ago, I was looking at the old site, with outdated models listed. I saved up some cash to order an AMS, and found out how wrong I was. Still need to get me one of those.... For edc, of the ones I own (not many), I would recommend the the Swamp Rat Mini Vex and the Scrapyard Scrapivore. Welcome to the insanity!

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind, a lot of Busse models are designed for heavy use and things you wouldn't try with other brands-- even thick stock blades.

As such, some Busse's are pretty thick behind the edge and sometimes are ground with generous edge bevels.

I had to experiment with grinding my bevels to get my blades to perform like I wanted.

here's one I had professionally zero-ground:
RKzdJzu.jpg

RNmyjFn.jpg

cK1kMKV.jpg

that knife gave meaning to the phrase "scary sharp" :eek: !

here's a same model <SARsquatch> I convexxed myself:
OBOhWYB.jpg

my favorite Busse model, the HG55 <Hog Grade 55>, didn't release it's inner beast for me until I ground it down to around 18 deg. per side...she's a mean motorscooter now!

before:
fGS41O4.jpg

after:
2RAQKB9.jpg

imho, INFI is the best balanced, easy to grind steel available...it's tough and works like a tool steel but has stainless-like qualities <due to heat treat I've been told>...but I had to tweak the edges on my users to get them dialed in like I like.

BTW, I do all my edges by hand...I don't trust myself with power grinders, I'd waste too much steel. :thumbsdown::oops:

And remember. Everything we all do, we’re all new in the beginning. I’ve been following and purchasing Bussekin since 2013. If you were going to a Busse Trivial Pursuit Tournament, you'd want me on your team - but there’s still much more for me to learn.

Good luck. And like someone’s already mentioned - Velkommen to the madness. PS - Try to restrain talking too much about your newly found passion to your family and friends. They’ll start looking busy when they see you coming. And be prepared for: “You spent $300 on a knife?!?” They really, really don’t understand. Do they?

Here's one I picked up not all that long ago- Its *almost* the smallest I have which is a Swamp Rat Rodent 3" - But this is the smallest with a full ergo handle. I've always been intrigued by this particular design as I thought with that shape it must drop right in the hand, and I was right. So don't discount the "Trail Scalpel" This is a Custom Shop but the regular ones can be had very reasonable. Even this one which I got with a Pirtle sheath was such a bargain I just couldn't pass on it.
OH OH OH :eek: I see Park Ranger mentioned some- YES! Killer little blade! I will never let mine go - That one was a total hit. There's lots of smaller blades but as you know now, kind of 1 and done and what's made is what's made - Different flavors may come along or.... may never again~ one of the many nuances of "Busse World" ~ :D
trailandlasanta.jpg

Last edited:
PS - Just buy a Ratmandu. RMD for short. You’ll get one eventually. And you just might be shunned by other, serious Bussemun if you don’t have one.

That’s my own term. I like to invent appropriate words. ”Cockney” for Busse Man. A man who is an aficionado of Busse Combat products. That includes Swamp Rats and Scrapyards.

And me? I have three RMD’s. Two CS (Custom Shops), and a user. I don’t use the real pretty ones. Another secret? If you buy judiciously, and take good care of it, they generally hold good value.

Last edited:
PS - Just buy a Ratmandu. You’ll get one eventually. And you might just be shunned by other, serious Bussemun if you don’t have one. Me? I have three. Two CS (Custom Shops), and a user.
While I agree, they are a bit bigger than the requirements set forth by OP. But, yeah. I had a dozen kin before finally getting an RMD, and it is darn close to being my favorite. The hype is real.

Yessiree. Thanks. I just reread his post. My only excuse for confusion is that while I was originally checking his post - I was ordering a Subway sandwich - and thinking of the 815,943 Christmas related activities I had to conduct before tomorrow morning. Y’all have a great Christmas. From Richmond, Virginia.

Last edited:
A few to models consider , then you can start with Scrapyard and Swamp Rat . Keep you busy over the holidays
t4i8svL.jpg
Great collection! I hope mine doesn't look like that in 6 months haha. What's the little guy above the blue one? And the blue is a custom trail scalpel I believe, correct? Beautiful as well

Last edited:
If you are looking for a user, consider that the INFI steel composition changed around 2002. There was cobalt and nitrogen (or at least more of it) which was probably more expensive to produce. Not knocking the newer INFI, but if I was going to shell out roughly the same amount I would prefer the older.
My favorite resource for steel is Zknives and for really scientific stuff Steel Nerds.
Once you narrow down what kind of steel is best suited for your needs then you can focus on blade shapes, grinds, and what looks best in your eyes and feels best in the hand. The latter is difficult since I have never seen anything besides the big names in stores, but most high end knives hold their value so resale is always an option.
This site is the best for seeing what's out there!
Check out the link below, his app is incredible and totally free. Zviad is a treasure to the knife community!

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/infi(pre_2002).shtml

A few to models consider , then you can start with Scrapyard and Swamp Rat . Keep you busy over the holidays
t4i8svL.jpg
Here's one I picked up not all that long ago- Its *almost* the smallest I have which is a Swamp Rat Rodent 3" - But this is the smallest with a full ergo handle. I've always been intrigued by this particular design as I thought with that shape it must drop right in the hand, and I was right. So don't discount the "Trail Scalpel" This is a Custom Shop but the regular ones can be had very reasonable. Even this one which I got with a Pirtle sheath was such a bargain I just couldn't pass on it.
OH OH OH :eek: I see Park Ranger mentioned some- YES! Killer little blade! I will never let mine go - That one was a total hit. There's lots of smaller blades but as you know now, kind of 1 and done and what's made is what's made - Different flavors may come along or.... may never again~ one of the many nuances of "Busse World" ~ :D
View attachment 1254049
ok I've definitely been sold on the idea of a custom shop trail scalpel, I've seen enough beautiful pictures like yours that I'm now convinced! Thank you everyone for all the great advice and info! Can I please ask for the senior hogs to help me spot one for sale at a decent price? I see a couple on ebay for 500-700 which seems high. It looks like generally they go for 350 on the exchange so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for something like that. Thanks all!

Back