Please help me choose first kukri

I hope to use this for bushcrafting in the NE.Us. i will be replacing an axe or hatchet. I am 6'4" slim build , wear sz large glove, 64 in good condition.
I am looking for a competant chopper, splitter.
I am looking at the Ciruwa Ang Kohla 16.5 " vs the M43.
I see a black friday special on a 15" Diktel Villager Special. Would i be happy with this one?
Any advice welcome.

Any M43 or Ang Khola would be great for chopping! And at those prices, you’re a winner!

Personally i find m43 more versatile overall, better for chopping/cutting and able to baton through anything it doesn't split outright. Cak has thicker blade geometry more dedicated toward splitting. Like kvaugn says my klvuk performs beyond its appearance and pretty much every HI piece i own is quite capable for bushcraft. Khukuri finds where they belong. Start with whichever sings the loudest. You will return

I bought a KLVUK 10+ years ago and with a little fine tuning, it pretty much replaced all my hatchets.
Himalayan imports has one of these 15" 21 oz on black friday special for 138.00
I am thinking to purchase. What fine tuning did you do on yours?

I have have had a few very rustic KLVUK knives. They are light to carry, very keen of edge, and generally cheap enough that you don't fret about wailing on them ;)

They tend to be a good all 'rounder if a bit light for splitting. Then again, in my limited experience with bushcraft, I think they will do my survival tasks better than a monstrously thick knife.

I have often said, while I have had literally 100+ HI products, if I were dropped into the wooded wilds, I would feel really well served with a KLVUK and a basic sharpening stone. Very handy knife.

I would email Yangdu directly and see what she has on hand. Keep us posted. Lots of crazy good deals today. You seriously can't go wrong:)

Edit to add:
Check out the khuk Yangdu has under the Happy Thanksgiving thread! For $100 that is a steal!

I have have had a few very rustic KLVUK knives. They are light to carry, very keen of edge, and generally cheap enough that you don't fret about wailing on them ;)

They tend to be a good all 'rounder if a bit light for splitting. Then again, in my limited experience with bushcraft, I think they will do my survival tasks better than a monstrously thick knife.

I have often said, while I have had literally 100+ HI products, if I were dropped into the wooded wilds, I would feel really well served with a KLVUK and a basic sharpening stone. Very handy knife.

I would email Yangdu directly and see what she has on hand. Keep us posted. Lots of crazy good deals today. You seriously can't go wrong:)

Edit to add:
Check out the khuk Yangdu has under the Happy Thanksgiving thread! For $100 that is a steal!
I have sent email to Yandu for this blade. Thank you. I hope to hear back soon.

I agree with all that posted so far. I think the Diktel Special from the other day would be great. Also that Thanksgiving special would be great too. I like something 15-16” and around 20-24 oz. the villager utility knives are great too. My personal choice would be a BAS.

A good choice. I have one heavier thicker khukri and a lighter faster slasher...

I also have a magnum Cold Steel khukri machete, and no name beater khukri, and used to have a Busse khukri ( a KZII).

CGM4jFD.jpg

uscS6VC.jpg

You will love the khukri you chose. Just be careful when unsheathing. Never grip your fingers arround the sheath where the belly of the knife is. I have a traditional sheath that is sliced through. Draw the knife with your fingers clear, and keep pressure on the spine of the knife.

My HI khukri are lovely to swing!!

Hand convexed it to shaving sharp with a pad of closed cell foam (from an old sleeping pad iirc) and different grits of sandpaper. Sanded the rough edges on the handle and especially the butt cap smooth. Soak the handle every 6 months or so in boiled linseed oil. I do this by wrapping in an oily rag overnight.
I think mine is 16" and 20 oz's iirc. It's a good tool.
Khuks use a little different chopping method from a hatchet. More swing from the elbow with a wrist snap and a 3 fingered swiveling grip instead of a full arm swing.

Last edited:
I know I’m really late here but I bought a VUK from HI last year and I have been more than happy with it!! It’s my beater lol and it has treated me very good

I was going to recommend what you just bought so looks like your in good hands sir! Villager Utility Khuks (VUKs) are cool too but the edge is not as hearty as the AK for heavy chopping although if you could carry both then you got the chopping, kitchen, and game processing down. If it turns out that the CAK doesnt take enough meat per chop for your likin then simply add some weight and go for a 20" Ang Khola but some find the weight of a 20"er a bit much depending on your fitness. Great choice! You did good! Folks here wont steer you wrong!

Nice stuff Big Fatty! I like that pointy one bottom middle. Whats that? I had a Scrapyard Dogfather CG I lost in a house fire I really liked but never found it after the fact. Really hard to loose that much steel but I succeeded! Ha!

I was going to recommend what you just bought so looks like your in good hands sir! Villager Utility Khuks (VUKs) are cool too but the edge is not as hearty as the AK for heavy chopping although if you could carry both then you got the chopping, kitchen, and game processing down. If it turns out that the CAK doesnt take enough meat per chop for your likin then simply add some weight and go for a 20" Ang Khola but some find the weight of a 20"er a bit much depending on your fitness. Great choice! You did good! Folks here wont steer you wrong!

Nice stuff Big Fatty! I like that pointy one bottom middle. Whats that? I had a Scrapyard Dogfather CG I lost in a house fire I really liked but never found it after the fact. Really hard to loose that much steel but I succeeded! Ha!
I wound up buying the Thanksgiving special 16.5 24 oz CAK as well as a Sarge knife.
Unfortunately still waiting for USPS from December 28th.
Last tracking is still at Reno distribution center.

Back