Please help me identify the kami (yes, again...)

It sounds like the real thing. I don't think any of the other Nepal khukuri companies put kami marks on their blades, let alone one that would look like Kumar's mark. The lack of "U.B." and the kami mark on the right side suggest that it is an older blade. It was only after Uncle Bill passed away (in 2004 or 2005) that the "U.B." was added to HI blades in his memory.

Also, the wraparound leather straps is an older type of frog, most often seen on military issue khukuris, but also on some of the older HI blades.

Following is an example of something similar. It's a BAS model (15.5" OAL, 22 oz) by Kumar with his marking on the right side. Also, the "KM" is typical of Kumar's earlier blades. The sheath has a pair of leather straps, though not quite the same as yours, I think.

View attachment 715491

Please post a picture when you can. You have to use the "Upload a File" button in the lower right area of the Reply window.
It sounds like the real thing. I don't think any of the other Nepal khukuri companies put kami marks on their blades, let alone one that would look like Kumar's mark. The lack of "U.B." and the kami mark on the right side suggest that it is an older blade. It was only after Uncle Bill passed away (in 2004 or 2005) that the "U.B." was added to HI blades in his memory.

Also, the wraparound leather straps is an older type of frog, most often seen on military issue khukuris, but also on some of the older HI blades.

Following is an example of something similar. It's a BAS model (15.5" OAL, 22 oz) by Kumar with his marking on the right side. Also, the "KM" is typical of Kumar's earlier blades. The sheath has a pair of leather straps, though not quite the same as yours, I think.

View attachment 715491

Please post a picture when you can. You have to use the "Upload a File" button in the lower right area of the Reply window.

Yes, that's it! The markings look identical to the BAS that your posted!
Thank you

I've tried to upload photos for 2 days and it says error occurred while uploading.
Prior to this.....no problems.
I'll continue to try,

If you get an error posting pics, try resizing the pic, using your resident photo app, saving it under a new file name, and then try to upload again.

NIce! Looks pre- Uncle Bill. The kami mark since is usually on the left side of the blade with the UB on the right where your kami mark is.

Looks like a great knife and I love the art work on the karda or chakma, probably both but I can only see one.

NIce! Looks pre- Uncle Bill. The kami mark since is usually on the left side of the blade with the UB on the right where your kami mark is.

Looks like a great knife and I love the art work on the karda or chakma, probably both but I can only see one.
Thank you. Glad to know this is legitimate. I watched this for awhile somewhere else and couldn't take it any longer so I bought it. I also bought another, this time from Yangdu and that's when I noticed the markings in different locations which cause a red flag. Thank everyone for confirmation! This forum is awesome!!

Hello everyone.

This might be one of the most common threads here, the "please help identify kami" one.
First - I am not such a lazy mxxxxxxxxxxr that would open a new thread instead of looking it up first. From what I gathered, there is no sticky with the UPDATED, GATHERED kami marks for Himalayan Imports (that would help a lot of people like myself...).

Before posting, I looked up on the web ( http://www.himalayan-imports.com/kami.html#kami-mark-guide , http://www.novarata.net/files/files/KamiSignsMarks.pdf , http://www.novarata.net/files/files/NewKamiKey2.pdf - just to give you some examples ) but I couldn't say for sure what the kami that made my kukri is/was.

So, here I come here, asking all those who have the knowledge to help me identify the bladesmith that made my 16.5 inch Chiruwa Ang Khola (when I bought it - 11 Dec. 2016 - I asked Mrs. Yangdu for this info, but she didn't answered, and I didn't insisted...) :

I already mentioned the blade was bought at the end of 2016, but I don't know if it is an old or new stock.
So, is it Kesar Lal, Durba, Vim, or another kami ?
I love your Chiruwa Ang Khola! I love this knife so much that I own 6! Thank for posting!

Korbin, I took the liberty of editing your post a bit. This is Yangdu's showroom so we pretty much don't advertise for other makers.
Pictures may look similar but using side by side you'll find the reason for the price difference. The adage you get what you pay for applies here. I suggest watching the daily deals, there are some tremendous values.
Shipping to Romania you have to be wise I reckon. Maybe order multiples or find friends to help split the shipping cost alone. Shipping is bad enough even within the US now days, over seas is expensive.
One of my first Khukris, a BAS made by another company was the coolest knife I could have ever owned! I continued to buy from this company while watching every video I could find on YouTube. I then heard about 2 of the top Khukri companies, Himalayan Imports and another company. I continued to research and am so glad I zeroed in on Himalayan Imports!
Ordering my first knife was a Chiruwa Ang Khola, followed by a Hanuman AK. Then I called and talked to a precious lady who personally handles every knife before shipping,...should I disclose my secret? Well, no secret, Ms Yangdu as I'm so thankful I discovered what y'all have known for years! She suggested to me certain knives for my collection and one was the BAS. Of course I did what she suggested.
(Let me insert this, Himalayan Imports knives have been breathtaking in every way)!
2 months later, I remembered the first company I bought a BAS from. Digging it out from the bottom of my HI knives, I did a side by side comparison to my "first love" and HI. The other knife was no comparison to Himalayan Imports knives!
HI quality, outshines the other company in every way!
This is why there is a pricing difference between the 2!
Buy Himalayan imports!!!

George Azar George Azar : Thank you. I love the blade shape of your Hanuman too (with those deep fullers) [the handle is nicely crafted, but I prefer the traditional style ones myself, with the Harhari - : the round circles in the handle]. I would like to ask you what those 6 mini-knives are...aside from karda and chakmak, what else is there ? What would be their purpose ?

OFF-TOPIC :
With all due respect, as to manufacturer "X" versus manufacturer "Y"... or, better yet, dealer "X" versus dealer "Y"... I don't want to offend anyone, and this is just my personal opinion ; if you take common sense into account, both companies buy from the same class. Let me detaliate : the kami's live in the same country, Nepal. From both companies, the kami's have a long tradition and skills from many years of hard work, they tend to use the same raw material for the blades (leaf springs). They use the same (most of the time) type of tools : hammers, anvils, forge, and the same kind of heat treatments.

The most obvious difference between "X" and "Y" I found would be the quality control and finishes of the blades; in that respect, Himalayan Imports sets a standard (and only one other company can claim to be close to) [HINT : it is not company "Y"].

Don't get me wrong, I too love HI and without talking about the price, I think it is by far the best : they have a great reputation, there are a lot of users that swears by them (and it is impossible that so many people can be wrong at the same time), the warranty is real (as stated by so many people), Mrs. Yangdu is a great person and the image of the company (as Sal is for Spyderco), not to mention about what Bill Martino's goal was - to help the nepalese people be known, and help the hard-working kamis. I also love the shape of the blades (more in line with the traditional style) and the markings (I might be wrong, but I think HI were the first to individualize the kukris).

That aside, I like diversity ; I want to learn more and, to do that, I must experience for myself. In my country, it is said that "smart people learn from other people's mistakes, regular people learn only from their mistakes" ; that puts me in the second cathegory :).

That's why I want a similar shaped kukri from another company. I want to be able to compare the two and learn from that. It is also about the price/performance ratio (as detailed above : same source for the raw materials, same kind of manufacturing, HT, etc.) - even if that's not the main reason, just one to consider.

There is also the psychological aspect : I would rather use a lesser quality knife/blade to work with instead of a working piece of art. As an example, I tend/prefer to use my Tramontina latin-styled machete and not my Fallkniven A1; one costed ~10 USD, the other more than 300 USD, one I see as just a tool (that I too am attached to :D ), the other as the companion that I trust my life with.

Last edited:
George Azar George Azar : Thank you. I love the blade shape of your Hanuman too (with those deep fullers) [the handle is nicely crafted, but I prefer the traditional style ones myself, with the Harhari - : the round circles in the handle]. I would like to ask you what those 6 mini-knives are...aside from karda and chakmak, what else is there ? What would be their purpose ?

OFF-TOPIC :
With all due respect, as to manufacturer "X" versus manufacturer "Y"... or, better yet, dealer "X" versus dealer "Y"... I don't want to offend anyone, and this is just my personal opinion ; if you take common sense into account, both companies buy from the same class. Let me detaliate : the kami's live in the same country, Nepal. From both companies, the kami's have a long tradition and skills from many years of hard work, they tend to use the same raw material for the blades (leaf springs). They use the same (most of the time) type of tools : hammers, anvils, forge, and the same kind of heat treatments.

The most obvious difference between "X" and "Y" I found would be the quality control and finishes of the blades; in that respect, Himalayan Imports sets a standard (and only one other company can claim to be close to) [HINT : it is not company "Y"].

Don't get me wrong, I too love HI and without talking about the price, I think it is by far the best : they have a great reputation, there are a lot of users that swears by them (and it is impossible that so many people can be wrong at the same time), the warranty is real (as stated by so many people), Mrs. Yangdu is a great person and the image of the company (as Sal is for Spyderco), not to mention about what Bill Martino's goal was - to help the nepalese people be known, and help the hard-working kamis. I also love the shape of the blades (more in line with the traditional style) and the markings (I might be wrong, but I think HI were the first to individualize the kukris).

That aside, I like diversity ; I want to learn more and, to do that, I must experience for myself. In my country, it is said that "smart people learn from other people's mistakes, regular people learn only from their mistakes" ; that puts me in the second cathegory :).

That's why I want a similar shaped kukri from another company. I want to be able to compare the two and learn from that. It is also about the price/performance ratio (as detailed above : same source for the raw materials, same kind of manufacturing, HT, etc.) - even if that's not the main reason, just one to consider.

There is also the psychological aspect : I would rather use a lesser quality knife/blade to work with instead of a working piece of art. As an example, I tend/prefer to use my Tramontina latin-styled machete and not my Fallkniven A1; one costed ~10 USD, the other more than 300 USD, one I see as just a tool (that I too am attached to :D ), the other as the companion that I trust my life with.
Korbin, my intention is not to get people to do as I say but rather share my personal "revelation" how H I became my favorite!
I must say, I've never used "X" or "Y" because they are both too beautiful! But when it came to my life....
Let me back up. I've own many different types of guns. If "SHTF", there would be one rifle and on handgun I would grab.
If I had "X" or "Y" Khukri with me, and I really needed it in a life threatening situation, I hope to have proven that the knife I have with me can help me survive in my situation. Example: wildmike.

wildmike ? (please excuse my ignorance...)

Yes, I understand. Ideally, every knife should be used - and, maybe, someday, I'll do that, I'll be that kind of person (I admire those who don't care about scratches, dings, etc.). As to guns...Here, in my country, it would be a pain in the arse to even own an airgun (I thought about that, and I'm a police officer :) ) ; you guys in States are so lucky...

wildmike ? (please excuse my ignorance...)

Yes, I understand. Ideally, every knife should be used - and, maybe, someday, I'll do that, I'll be that kind of person (I admire those who don't care about scratches, dings, etc.). As to guns...Here, in my country, it would be a pain in the arse to even own an airgun (I thought about that, and I'm a police officer :) ) ; you guys in States are so lucky...

I haven't used any knives myself as I stated. I'll try to share "wildmike's" forum link. He actually used a HI knife to build several small cabins, shelters and a survival tool. Actually it was a M43 he used.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/my-famous-m43-kukri.1041119/

That is a beautiful old Hanuman! Disco still sucks and Kumar still rocks:thumbsup:

All Nepali Khukris are not equal. The ones that come through HI are expected to have even higher standards than what you get in Nepal. I have head by many that have traveled to Nepal specifically to educate themselves to the process and they for the most part are unable to find the quality of knife we get through HI. And yep I am blowing their horn because Yangdu and Uncle Bill decided way back that to sell these knives here in the US they would have to compete with us picky westerners who expect everything to be perfect, polished and purdy. Not possible with natural materials. Nonetheless they try and the Kamis that work for HI know this and the shop manager holds them to this. Yangdu puts her hands on them herself and makes sure of this. If they have a crack or blem then you probably already know what happens to them. Nepalis dont have the same expectations from the product as we do. Its a tool that needs to work and they do but we simply expect more and they deliver more than most. Thats just my two cents.

Back