Please help me identify the kami (yes, again...)

IMG_9600.JPG
Purna. I think it's a bulls head. Early marks were quite intricate, later not as well defined.
When I first saw it, I knew it would be a difficult mark to create on every knife but it is unique and he's a good/excellent kami.
This is the Kami mark to verify identity. Thank you

Pretty sure that's Purna, I can see where it looks like a cow now. Used to have more horns and was a bull.

Called him the Bull Head kami.

I believe I have a Purna 15" BAS @21oz I bought during Christmas time, it's awesome.

Yup! Purna does first class work!
a16443c4bbd990463a5d151833caa266

ff382f249c9af145aad537e41dd21d31

I keep wanting to comment on this but whatever I say cant possibly be enough to express my fascination and amazement with these Kamis skills. Amazing craftsmen they are!

Last edited:
Yup! Purna does first class work!
a16443c4bbd990463a5d151833caa266

ff382f249c9af145aad537e41dd21d31

I keep wanting to comment on this but whatever I say cant possibly be enough to express my fascination and amazement with these Kamis skills. Amazing craftsmen they are!
That's a beautiful knife ndog!

Being familiar with hand forged blades since the very early 1980's I've come to appreciate the hard work and performance these type of knives achieve.
I've only been introduced to H.I. and since 2017! I'm so amazed I've not heard of the quality and capability these knifes can do.
Being familiar with the American Bladesmith Society, or as I'll refer to later, the ABS, and Bill Moran and many other premier knifemakers( I'm only including hand forged knives), they worked hard to preserve the hand forged knife i the US and other countries.
Without making this too long, their test included your knife being able to shave hair, cut through 2, 2x4's and cut into a 1" free hanging hemp rope and still be able to shave. Also put a blade in a vise grip and bend it 90 degrees without it breaking and still be functional.
I've wateched these blade achieve all these tasks except the bending.
If they can do that and Ms Yangdu and some Kamis were exposed to this community, their knives can command $500-1000+ dollars and bring wealth to their poverty strickened area! I hate to see such great talent not get rewarded for their quality of work! The American people are looking for this type of "undiscovered" work!
I know.....I've been their for many years and want to let others discover this talent as well!
If I can help in any way, I will be honored to do it!
George

I'd love to see Kumar get his ABS Master ;)

Yes, Kumar is the 6 point star. I don't know what Ram Kumar's mark is yet.

ndog what is that knife brother?

Also, thanks for posting the BirGorkha picnic! Never seen that before.

Last edited:
Just got my Fox Folly and was wondering about it's kami mark. Thanks in advance.

...put a blade in a vise grip and bend it 90 degrees without it breaking and still be functional. I've watched these blade achieve all these tasks except the bending.

There was an infamous "destruction test" of a 12" Ang Khola (from HI) done on YouTube around 2008 (no longer available). As I recall, after the knife survived all kinds of other abuse, a couple inches of the tip were put in a vise and the blade was bent without breaking. The end of the blade stayed bent (at 45 degrees or so?). Then the middle of the blade was clamped in the vise and the handle was repeatedly struck with a sledgehammer. The horn grip fractured, of course, but the stick tang didn't break -- it bent roughly 90 degrees.

After the sledgehammer treatment, the blade (with tang) ended up bent at the tip and tang, but it was unbroken!

There was an infamous "destruction test" of a 12" Ang Khola (from HI) done on YouTube around 2008 (no longer available). As I recall, after the knife survived all kinds of other abuse, a couple inches of the tip were put in a vise and the blade was bent without breaking. The end of the blade stayed bent (at 45 degrees or so?). Then the middle of the blade was clamped in the vise and the handle was repeatedly struck with a sledgehammer. The horn grip fractured, of course, but the stick tang didn't break -- it bent roughly 90 degrees.

After the sledgehammer treatment, the blade (with tang) ended up bent at the tip and tang, but it was unbroken!
I just was under the assumption these knives were capable of doing everything required to pass the test! I posted links of requirements and other info. I sure wish we can get these Kamis the exposure they need!! They need the money and absolutely deserve it!!
Knives in these ABS communities go from hundreds to thousands of dollars and HI deserves it!

I can never remember all the marks but I thought the leaf was Anil. Thought Ram Kumar was like a Nepali flag.

But again my memory of these things is not trustworthy at all.

I've looked all over for a picture of Purna's original mark but can't find it. I'm sure Meister Tall will have one in about 4 seconds.

I'll have to check at home, I know I have a few of his blades with the early marks.

stwm- Ndogs knife is the knife in that video. The first prize knife made by Purna. I want to say it's a Salyan but don't quote me on that, I'll deny all knowledge and ever being here that day if I'm wrong.
She's a beauty for sure and I was quite jealous for quite some time but I got over it, I'm ok really. A small beach towel to soak up the tears, a little time on the kitchen floor curled up in a fatal position sucking my thumb and I forget all about it.

Back