Please need help on handle fastener type/name

I was browsing knife styles this weekend and ran across these. It's an interesting method of handle attachments. I like the hollow style screws that you can then take off the scales yet still be able to put some parachord through as a lanyard. The bad part is I can not find them anywhere. I have called them by many names and still nothing on the searches. Can anyone tell me what these might be called? It's the threaded fasteners that are still hollow like the tubes. I love the idea. I have called them (knife handle fasteners hollow, threaded tube fastener, threaded bolts with through hole along with many other random names trying to get an idea of how much these would cost and what sizes they come in. Also checked all the major knife makers suppliers with no luck. Any help with finding these would be appreciated. I spent several hours searching every supplier and google images with zero hits. I am wondering if this is a custom thing from this maker. Its a
Pohl Force November One Santos Wood Outdoor Gen2 2065, fixed knife

88Mft8m.jpg

to8hwT6.jpg

6aicDB2.jpg

sex bolts
Thank you for the reply. I looked at sex bolts but could never find any that were hollow like these. I actually have several sizes of sex bolts in my parts box for knife handles. None of course that are hollow. I have been searching more and more and it seems like they use these on most of their knives. Not familiar with the brand so much though. Thanks again, I will keep looking until I find these. I would really like to try and use something like this. At least use one for a lanyard and regular sex bolt with it.

They probably had them custom made for their knives

They probably had them custom made for their knives
That might be it, because I am going blind looking at hundreds of pictures and manufactures and seeing nothing that looks like this. Its a great idea in my personal opinion. You get a removable scale as well as the ability to run a lanyard if you like. Just something that caught my eye. Thanks for you alls help, it's appreciated.

You could probably come away with bicycle chainring bolts. Come in steel or alu, anodysed as well.

YES, that's it. Chain ring bolts. never heard of them but learning now. After looking it seems it is a variant and I found a knife maker that uses them as well SouthPaw Knives. THANKS A MILLION guys. Much respect with the knowledge here. Beats the bruise on your forehead from banging head on wall lol.

You can get chain ring bolts at JENSON USA or on EBAY I have used them a few times on knife builds

You can get chain ring bolts at JENSON USA or on EBAY I have used them a few times on knife builds
Thanks appreciated. Now I know what they are I have been looking at so many different styles and COLORS. How did I miss these for so long? I guess I just have not been into bikes for a long time so never had a reason to look for them.

Also check out the axles of inline skates
You might like them as well
Thanks, checking those out now as well. Looks like that might work. I am going to order some chainring bolts and some of these axle bolts and see what I can with them. Thanks for the help. Usually I accidentally discover stuff like this. In this case I had never seen the bolts and without a name its a challenge to search them. Appreciate the help from the community.

if I want a hollow pin. I just use tube. I flare each side and the scales aren't going anywhere. Flaring can be done with 2 ball bearings in a vise (if you have three hands) or make a simple flaring die like i did to go in an arbor press. IMG_20180410_074226850_HDR.jpg

if I want a hollow pin. I just use tube. I flare each side and the scales aren't going anywhere. Flaring can be done with 2 ball bearings in a vise (if you have three hands) or make a simple flaring die like i did to go in an arbor press. View attachment 1176143
Thank you for the idea. I will have to try that. I have never tried to flair tubes. I have used them a couple of times. Nice looking knife by the way as well.

if I want a hollow pin. I just use tube. I flare each side and the scales aren't going anywhere. Flaring can be done with 2 ball bearings in a vise (if you have three hands) or make a simple flaring die like i did to go in an arbor press.
Not to hijack this thread, but where did you get your flaring dies?! Knife looks great! :thumbsup:

Not to hijack this thread, but where did you get your flaring dies?! Knife looks great! :thumbsup:
I cut down 2 pieces of 1/2" round w2 to 3/8" about 1/2" from the end. This fits a 3/8" hole in my arbor press ram and plate with a shoulder so they don't bottom out. I then chucked the reduced end if the rod in a drill and ran it while grinding it on my grinder. I had marked the angle of my counter bore on the work table of my grinder so the dies will press at the angle I have relieved my handle material holes. I then hardened the dies.

Here's a link to some photos of what I did. https://photos.app.goo.gl/mYU7LSMwAf9SQTCR7

Last edited:
Back