Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition

Canadian Member of Parliament (MP) sponsored e-petition against Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) import ban

As most of us in the knife world know the latest "interpretation" of a prohibited weapon by CBSA has tossed the Canadian knife market on its head. Even more worrying are the implications if other enforcement agencies adopt this interpretation.

Thankfully we have a glimmer of hope in the form of an e-petition sponsored by an MP in the House of Commons.
  • The Canadian International Trade Tribunal has deemed one-hand opening knives prohibited from import.
https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-1552

This is just live as of the last hour. Please sign it and help show some push back to this ridiculous overreach by the CBSA!

Please post on this thread that you have signed the e-petition, thank you!

Last edited:

The Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives Customs Notice 18-01 has prohibited the import of one-hand opening knives. This includes a knife that requires a thumb stud on the blade to be manually pushed by the thumb to open the blade. This type of knife should not be confused with an automatic blade, sometimes called a switchblade or any other type of centrifugal opening knife.

The CITT has taken it upon itself to include one-handed opening knives of the import banned list as prohibited, although they are not a prohibited weapon and legal to own in Canada. I repeat a one-handed opening knife can be purchased legally in any store in Canada as it is not considered a prohibited weapon under Canadian law.

What's next banning kitchen knives!

I feel bad for Canadians, because it's only going to get worse over time. Every year their national politics grows a little more extreme, and their people grow a little less free.

I expect they'll soon have those British-style ban boxes you can surrender your deadly SAKs and steak knives and what not into soon enough.

When I travel there ever year I always make an effort to pick out the most Canada compatible pocket knives to take with me. I used to carry a pink Cold Steel Tuff Lite Mini (~1" blade) but now I'm not sure even that's a good idea, because you can open it with one hand.

Last edited:
I just signed, thank you for posting this.

I hope that common sense prevails on this matter and border services get set straight, I have a CS Rajah II with the flipper tab broken off that I am reluctant to send in for repair for fear of it being intercepted on the way back.

I feel bad for Canadians, because it's only going to get worse over time. Every year their national politics grows a little more extreme, and their people grow a little less free.

You mean like how they got rid of the long gun registry, and I was able to buy a 12 inch barrel shotgun and get it delivered in the mail?
I can buy a 12 or 14 inch barrel rifle at Canadian Tire today if I don't mind racking up the debt on my credit card. ;)

It's all about the stupidity at the Border.
I was hating the Border before it was cool to do so. :D

Signed. I found this a silly law. And never saw the point of it. If it is for security reasons I imagine they would have to ban fixed blades too, since they are already open and ready for use, so it would be even faster to go from inanimate object to dangerous weapon. The only difference being a flipper can be hidden a little more easily, but so can very small fixed blades, which can be equally as dangerous in the wrong hands. The law just doesnt make any practical sense.

Hi fellows, thank you for the support!

If any of you are Registered with other knife forums, please make a post about the e-petition noted in the OP!

Thanks again,

JC :)

I expect they'll soon have those British-style ban boxes you can surrender your deadly SAKs and steak knives and what not into soon enough.
I think you’re right on the mark, unfortunately.

Signed it a day or two ago.

stabman stabman I couldn't agree with you more, although I'd imagine this was a political decision made by CBSA brass that was passed down to rank and file members to carry out, so I'm not sure how much blame we can really lay on the actual border guards (other than the fact that they're just doing their jobs). Still, it's frustrating beyond belief though.

Signed. I found this a silly law. And never saw the point of it. If it is for security reasons I imagine they would have to ban fixed blades too, since they are already open and ready for use, so it would be even faster to go from inanimate object to dangerous weapon. The only difference being a flipper can be hidden a little more easily, but so can very small fixed blades, which can be equally as dangerous in the wrong hands. The law just doesnt make any practical sense.

This wasn't a law. It was a policy change by the CBSA/CITT to ban the importing of one handed opening knives. I would suggest to read this to understand what happened, https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html . If we want to to be better than the people who made a bad decision based on uninformed opinions we cannot make the mistakes.

Last edited:
This wasn't a law. It was a policy change by the CBSA/CITT to ban the importing of one handed opening knives. Please read this more carefully before making uninformed comments, as uninformed comments & opinions is what led to this decision being made in the first place. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html

Almost every article I have read, including articles on this forum stated it was a law so I did think I was informed. I can start compiling a list of all the articles on knife making forums, news sites, videos etc. saying it was a law.
And this section of the criminal code (a set of laws) has this to say about "Prohibited weapons":
prohibited weapon means
  • (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

• (b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)
So I tried to make myself as informed as possible, if I interpreted it wrong I apologise, but you assuming that I didnt try to inform myself is just as big a mistake, all of us canadians that enjoy this hobby are in this fight together, and alienating one another by whatever means, in this case, assumptions, doesnt help any of us. As muddy as it all is, it is very easy to misinterpret what the actual law is, which is why so many sources may be doing it, not just me.
Have a great weekend mate. :)

Almost every article I have read, including articles on this forum stated it was a law so I did think I was informed. I can start compiling a list of all the articles on knife making forums, news sites, videos etc. saying it was a law.
And this section of the criminal code (a set of laws) has this to say about "Prohibited weapons":
prohibited weapon means
  • (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

• (b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon; (arme prohibée)
So I tried to make myself as informed as possible, if I interpreted it wrong I apologise, but you assuming that I didnt try to inform myself is just as big a mistake, all of us canadians that enjoy this hobby are in this fight together, and alienating one another by whatever means, in this case, assumptions, doesnt help any of us. As muddy as it all is, it is very easy to misinterpret what the actual law is, which is why so many sources may be doing it, not just me.
Have a great weekend mate. :)

I understand the confusion, however there is a massive difference. One of the main reason for the outrage is because the new CBSA mandate goes against the actual Canadian law. These knives (one handed opening) are legal to own, and carry in Canada, however the CBSA mandate bans the importing of these knives. Thus, they're banning the import of a completely legal item under false pretences. See how the devil is in the detail? You can quote other sources being incorrect, that doesn't really matter. Was just pointing out the difference, you came onto bladeforums to learn (I saw in another post) now you're learning :) . No need to get upset or offended, I wasn't trying to be rude... just correcting your statement.

Last edited:
What the hell is going on with this stuff? I cannot stand the attack on folding knives. They are TOOLS. The idea that they are all lethal, civilian-flaying, oppression machines is absolutely insane. Ugh. You can bet your ass I signed that petition.
Couldn't have said it better!

Back