Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition

I'm from germany, but I made some crap experience with my local customs office as well, they tried to bring me to court for allegedly importing "Military Hardware (Same charge as if was trying to buy a Hellfire Missile lol)" when in truth it was a completely legal part for a toy gun. So I am more than a bit sour with customs here as well, I'll send a donation nonetheless.

I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through, for the sake of a part for a toy.

Regarding your donation, on behalf of Canadian folding knife owners, I thank you :)

Glad to hear there's preparations being made to mount a legal challenge. As well, I received an email from a Canadian knife retailer on March 9th stating that they had been with working with various groups and organizations on both sides of the border including the American Knife and Tool Institute as well as government here in Canada to try and find a resolution to all of this. All of this news has definitely raised my spirits regarding this particular circumstance.

Knife manufactures, and the entire knife community, can help stop this ridiculousness. Please read the article, and think about helping out us Canadians. Thank you!!

http://knifenews.com/attorney-asks-knif ... gislation/

Donated to the campaign pretty much as soon as I was made aware of this today in an earlier post. The more awareness of this the better though! :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this! I will certainly support it!
One thing that is scary from the Gofundme campaign though, that there is no getting around, is this;

"The first step is to Issue Action in the Superior Court of Justice; request suspension of the force and effect of the CITT decision and section 84(1) to permit the government and legislators to rewrite or redefine what is and what is not a ‘prohibited weapon’ in Canada."

Knife nuts should be the ones to rewrite or redefine what is and what is not a ‘prohibited weapon’ in Canada!:p

Seriously though, I don't trust legislators to get it right.:(

While we may not be able to trust the legislators to get things "right" as far as implementing laws as us knife knuts would like to see things, at the very least, they hold elected positions so we (if you're Canadian and able to vote) can try and sway them through the Democratic process with our votes...imho, it's still better than the current alternative of leaving decisions like this up to a government body made up of non-elected personnel (à la the situation with firearms up here).

Imho, it's also a step in a better direction as governments can change; today's unfriendly/non-committal government can always be voted out for a government more favourable towards us in the future.

Donated to the campaign pretty much as soon as I was made aware of this today in an earlier post. The more awareness of this the better though! :thumbsup:

While we may not be able to trust the legislators to get things "right" as far as implementing laws as us knife knuts would like to see things, at the very least, they hold elected positions so we (if you're Canadian and able to vote) can try and sway them through the Democratic process with our votes...imho, it's still better than the current alternative of leaving decisions like this up to a government body made up of non-elected personnel (à la the situation with firearms up here).

Imho, it's also a step in a better direction as governments can change; today's unfriendly/non-committal government can always be voted out for a government more favourable towards us in the future.
True. Good points. I will make my first donation on payday and try to build some optimism for the future. I plan to donate monthly until the goal is reached and I encourage everyone who is able to do the same. It is our best chance at righting the situation.

One thing (out of many) that pisses me off about this whole mess is the lack of actual standards and clarity.

Example... I bought a Buck flipper at Canada’s largest Tire store today. They have lots in stock. These are now apparently illegal but available everywhere in Canada but a Spyderco Ladybug that can be loosened to open with gravity or with one hand is illegal? Nutty.

Federal or Provincial law? Cool. Border Services law? WTF.

I donated in any case....

The petition is getting close to 6,000 signatures now and the legal challenge fund is over $5,000

It is very nice to see people taking the time to contribute.

Keep spreading the word guys!

Canadian knife owners are really stepping up and rallying around this. The government e-petition is very close to 7,000 signatures, and is also very close to being the #1 petition!

Here another interesting video on the subject:

Please keep spreading the word, this petition is will make a difference if it keeps growing at this rate.

Other things you can do are:write your Member of Parliament, contribute to the GoFundMe legal fund, and keep talking about it with anyone who will listen.

True. Good points. I will make my first donation on payday and try to build some optimism for the future. I plan to donate monthly until the goal is reached and I encourage everyone who is able to do the same. It is our best chance at righting the situation.
Just made my first donation!

Hope this goes well.

Got my Lum Tanto from Blade HQ today. The dinged me for tax and duty but did not open the package and handle the knife.
I'm happy for you!

I had a fixed neck knife opened less than a month ago from the blue US dealer... taxes and custom fees and a terrible repackaging with Canada customs tape all over :(

WOW!!! :[

I inquired about buying a Spyderco Delica 4 Zome S30V, from a U.S.A. dealer:

Me:
----

"Hello,

I have done a lot of research, and I’m confident that Canada Customs will allow this knife to come through their system, because of it’s locking configuration.

Please advise, ASAP (before your inventory runs out), that you are willing to ship one of these to my address. I will take full responsibility, if the knife is seized, and not hold you liable, in any way, shape or form.

Thank you very much,
Sincerely,
XXX"

Their response:
-------------------

"Hello,

Thank you very much for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, I have indefinitely suspended shipping folding knives to Canada. I understand you are willing to take responsibility for the shipment and I agree, this will probably pass through customs, but it just isn’t going to happen. Hopefully, this mess with Canadian customs will get resolved soon.

Thanks again,
XXX"

My response:
---------------

"XXX,

Your decision only enables the unlawful ruling that a government department has established, when their only role is to enforce laws set forth by a government consisting of actual voted in individuals.

We Canadians can sign a petition, to tell our government what we think, and contribute to Go Fund Me, to help lawyers fees, to try to help our cause.

Another way to show we are not going to just sit back, is to keep buying knives from the USA, when they are not available in Canada.

In disagreement with your decision,
XXX"

Back