Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition

I just now signed the petition. I also wanted to mention to the blade member who had their knives confiscated at the border, W5 just loves doing exposes on those that think they can do whatever pleases them even when the law states otherwise. I would encourage you to call CTV and hear what they have to say about this matter. Your friend, Trevor Calhoun.

This is our, Canadian, mess. It’s up to us to clean it up.

I don’t think that badgering a foreign knife retailer because they don’t want to deal with our Canadian border services is helpful. I would direct my ire to those responsible, not those simply caught in the crossfire.

I just now signed the petition. I also wanted to mention to the blade member who had their knives confiscated at the border, W5 just loves doing exposes on those that think they can do whatever pleases them even when the law states otherwise. I would encourage you to call CTV and hear what they have to say about this matter. Your friend, Trevor Calhoun.
Hmm. That may be a hard sell as the canadian media is not knife friendly at all.

CTV has already done a positive story highlight the problem the CBSA has created re this issue.

It might even be linked in this thread.

You just have to spin the story that people with only one hand or arthritis are being discriminates against since they need easy one hand opening knives.
Well my old arthritic hands are looking rather swollen and "gnomish" so maybe they can use me as an example. :p

Wow. This is scary. One hand openers??? If I was a Canadian citizen I would certainly sign that petition. I just don't understand why people allow other people who want to control every aspect of their lives to be put into these positions of power. For the Canadians, I honestly think that part of the reason is that they're still part of the commonwealth. Many of them are just accustomed to being ruled over.

For the Canadians, I honestly think that part of the reason is that they're still part of the commonwealth. Many of them are just accustomed to being ruled over.

Not even close to being correct.

And the laws have not changed.
The knives being seized at the Border are perfectly legal to own in Canada.
That is why there is a government official with a petition to get the CBSA to stop what they are doing, because they are not actually enforcing the law.

Not even close to being correct.

And the laws have not changed.
The knives being seized at the Border are perfectly legal to own in Canada.
That is why there is a government official with a petition to get the CBSA to stop what they are doing, because they are not actually enforcing the law.
Sorry. I didn't realize that this was a single agency taking it upon themselves to interpret some law. Here we call this legislation through bureaucracy.

I apologize.

Sorry. I didn't realize that this was a single agency taking it upon themselves to interpret some law. Here we call this legislation through bureaucracy.

I apologize.

No worries. :)

There's been plenty of confusion about the issue with people around here when they hear about it.
Most folks don't even know the issue exists at all, because they can buy the one-hand opening knives at Canadian tire, Walmart, the local gun store or Amazon without ever hearing about the CBSA over-reach.

I do not have a favourite CDN political party. My least favourite one is whoever is currently in power, as they have the greatest power to really annoy me by doing something stupid. It was CBSA that created this mess, however it was the Liberals who started the ball rolling by saying that they would introduce new knife laws.

The one stat that I recall, said that in 2017 there were about 167 knife related fatalities in Canada. The number may be off a little, but is somewhere in the ballpark. I'm pissed-off at our current government because of what they both have and have not done. Marijuana is about to be legalized and its use therefore normalized. At the same time I've heard no discussion from them concerning distracted driving. These two things will contribute to the deaths on TENS OF THOUSANDS of Canadians annually.

I'm not trying to argue that the use of marijuana should not be legalized. It's rare that we get new rights. However I do think that it is VERY, VERY WRONG to take away an existing right without a really good justification. If the number of Canadians killed by use of a folding knife of any sort, or even by use of a fixed blade knife, ever approaches the increase in deaths due to distracted driving or driving while using marijuana, then that issue should be addressed. When the difference between the two is of a magnitude of about 600 to 1, restricting our right to acquire and possess knives of any description is kind of obscene. Someone may have once thought this was a shrewd political move. We need to show them it was a stupid thing to do, for both practical AND political reasons.

Was any consideration given to the gender aspect of these new regulations? The number of women who carry a small knife in their purse, out of a fear of being raped, is much higher than you'd think (1 in 8). These new restrictions may save the lives of a few men, but what will the cost be to women? I for one would be very pleased, if I saw that these issues received adequate consideration, before these laws are carved in stone.

Last edited:
No worries. :)

There's been plenty of confusion about the issue with people around here when they hear about it.
Most folks don't even know the issue exists at all, because they can buy the one-hand opening knives at Canadian tire, Walmart, the local gun store or Amazon without ever hearing about the CBSA over-reach.
The question of what is and what is not a legal folder in Canada prompted this reaction from me. I took a very deep breath and ordered a couple of different models. I then tracked them very closely and noticed that one purchased from a U.S. vendor, spent an unusually long time in Customs. They all eventually arrived unopened. Someone may have spent some time staring at it through an x-ray machine, but presumably they then decided not to see if it could be opened with one hand.

They likely feel much the same as my noisy next door neighbour, who was been watching me very closely, as the catapult in my backyard nears completion.

I just received notice that the 2018 Forum knife I purchased many months back has been received by Canada Post for shipment but only after Canadian Border Sevices added almost $25 to the price in new duties because I am importing a steel product from the USA. New process as of July 2018. I know these duty scenarios are very random but still picking it because it is a steel product is pretty low. The whole knife must weigh less than 3 ounces including the elk covers.

The link on the Canada Post site brought me too - Countermeasures in Response to Unjustified Tariffs on Canadian Steel and Aluminum Products listings.

Damn!

,,,Mike in Canada

Last edited:
I just received notice that the 2018 Forum knife I purchased many months back has been received by Canada Post for shipment but only after Canadian Border Sevices added almost $30 to the price in new duties because I am importing a steel product from the USA. New as of July 2018. I know these duty scenarios are very random but still picking that is a steel product is pretty low.

The link on the Canada Post site brought me too - Countermeasures in Response to Unjustified Tariffs on Canadian Steel and Aluminum Products listings.

Damn!

,,,Mike in Canada

What kind of knife is it?

What kind of knife is it?
It's a really nice Buck folder. Couple big threads on it in the Trads sub.

So the latest seems to reflect the change talked about over the summer. They raised the duty free amount to $150 but then they said they'll start charging tax on "everything".

So the latest seems to reflect the change talked about over the summer. They raised the duty free amount to $150 but then they said they'll start charging tax on "everything".

Ok
I was looking for the ray of sun shine.
I thought maybe it was a one hand opener and they’d moved on to just taking more of our money.
Lol
Wishful thinking.
So as we stand now....

we’re not allowed to import any one hand opening knife ( potentially. Depending on the border agents mood/interpretation of the rules)

Plus turn up the tariffs/taxes on anything else that is allowed.

Good times.

Ok
I was looking for the ray of sun shine.
I thought maybe it was a one hand opener and they’d moved on to just taking more of our money.
Lol
Wishful thinking.
So as we stand now....

we’re not allowed to import any one hand opening knife ( potentially. Depending on the border agents mood/interpretation of the rules)

Plus turn up the tariffs/taxes on anything else that is allowed.

Good times.
Taxes feed the system. If they bounce all the knife orders then no more taxes.

Last knife I got from the USA was from Blade HQ so no doubt a flagged shipment and it opens fine with one hand. Right during the summer panic.

It sailed through customs with no hassle.

Back