Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition

That is good to know, but also those aren't the type of knives that are being targeting by the CBSA.
I have heard of people locally not being able to import Leatherman multitools, of all things.

The Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives Customs Notice 18-01 has prohibited the import of one-hand opening knives. This includes a knife that requires a thumb stud on the blade to be manually pushed by the thumb to open the blade. This type of knife should not be confused with an automatic blade, sometimes called a switchblade or any other type of centrifugal opening knife.

The CITT has taken it upon itself to include one-handed opening knives of the import banned list as prohibited, although they are not a prohibited weapon and legal to own in Canada. I repeat a one-handed opening knife can be purchased legally in any store in Canada as it is not considered a prohibited weapon under Canadian law.

What's next banning kitchen knives!
Last I checked Baseball bats, Golf clubs, and hammers kill a lot of people every year when used as a weapon :eek:

You just have to spin the story that people with only one hand or arthritis are being discriminates against since they need easy one hand opening knives.
We have a few members of this board with disability's who absolutely need one hand operated knife.

The reality is I bet most people are stabbed with a kitchen knife. They are cheap, every where, large and pointy.

It would be interesting if you could get statistics on what actual knives are being used in crimes.

Got an email about the petition yesterday.

"This is to inform you that petition e-1552, which you signed on the petitions website of the House of Commons, was presented in the House of Commons on January 30, 2019. You will be notified once a government response has been tabled. Please do not reply to this email, as this address is not monitored. If you have questions about the e-petitions process or encounter technical problems, please visit the petitions website at https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/ or contact the Clerk of Petitions at PMB-AED@parl.gc.ca. "

This border ruling was a win for big corporate in Canada. Very skewed exception for businesses that basically have a grandfathered license that today is almost impossible to aquire to continue to import knives that the CBSA will prohibit to regular citizens. I hope they talk about it during the debate.

This border ruling was a win for big corporate in Canada. Very skewed exception for businesses that basically have a grandfathered license that today is almost impossible to aquire to continue to import knives that the CBSA will prohibit to regular citizens. I hope they talk about it during the debate.
This is a completely incorrect state. Corporations like blades canada, cannot even get the FBL. If this truly did help "Big corporate" we would of already seen corporations take advantage of it, but no FBL licensed corporation has been importing knives that other companies or citizens cannot also import. Knives are a small niche market in Canada. The CBSA ruling affected everybody let's not turn this into something it isn't.

Last edited:
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I had a look at the petition and I am very certain it will be rejected by the House of Commons.

The single most important thing in a petition is justification. You have to specify the cause of your objection and provide valid justification for the objection raised. All I see is a one-line statement calling for the ban as implemented by the CBSA to be repealed. Excuse me?With only one line, how do you even expect to convince the Members (especially the fencesitters) to vote in favour of it?

If I were the Speaker, I would have immediately dismissed this kind of one-line petition on the grounds that it was created on a whim. And if I were an elected Member, I would vote against it for the same reason even the issue highlighted is real.

Sic semper Tyrannis

Laws are ment to be broken. When the people are oppressed they must fight back.

WHAT TO STOP THE BAN?

Smuggle so many of them in they cant stop it. The Canadian government is smoke and mirrors.

I'm sure this message will be taken the wrong way by many. BUT remember you were born free in the image of GOD. YOU dont need permission to own a knife from any one. Any knife. Anywhere.

The deeds of man make a knife evil. So why condemn the good because of the bad ?

For me, the main reason to fight this importation ban on knives is this. Once a right has been taken away, it is very difficult and a very time consuming job to try to get it back. This is the way in Canada, and its not just happening with knives.
People want to feel safe, and the government and agencies are going about it the wrong way.
I disagree with the ban, and cant wait to vote on our government again. Bye bye.
I must say, thanks to kniferights hard work and dedication to their work, it looks like some states are starting to think logically. Thats good news!
Anyways, just my thoughts. I have more, but i dont want to bore you all. Lol.

Tried to sign it but it won't let me - guess Canadian Border Guards are not interested in the opinions of us Americans.

Back