Please sign Canadian knife import ban e-petition

Canadian Member of Parliament (MP) sponsored e-petition against Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) import ban

As most of us in the knife world know the latest "interpretation" of a prohibited weapon by CBSA has tossed the Canadian knife market on its head. Even more worrying are the implications if other enforcement agencies adopt this interpretation.

Thankfully we have a glimmer of hope in the form of an e-petition sponsored by an MP in the House of Commons.
  • The Canadian International Trade Tribunal has deemed one-hand opening knives prohibited from import.
https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-1552

This is just live as of the last hour. Please sign it and help show some push back to this ridiculous overreach by the CBSA!

Please post on this thread that you have signed the e-petition, thank you!

Last edited:
It looks like this issue has touched the nerve of a lot of people because the petition is over 4,000 signatures already and is the third highest active petition!

Keep telling people about the issue and get them to sign!

Happy to rport that there are over 4,500 signatures so far.

Keep spreading the word about this petition!

The petition is now up to a little over 5700 signatures so great work getting the word out, everyone!

The petition will definitely send a message to the sitting government but, let’s face it, it is unlikely to bring about any actual change. I think the real chance we have at overruling or overturning this arbitrary decision is through the court challenge that Johnny Canuck linked to above.

That said, the gofundme doesn’t have even a fraction of the momentum (at least not yet) that the petition has so far. I’m thrilled to see that, so far, 107 of us have donated almost $5300 to this legal fight but there is still a long ways to go.

Hopefully manufacturers and retailers (big shout out to knifecenre.com owner Howard Korn for jumping in early on with an almost $500 donation!) will start to take notice and help out but I’m also hopeful that knife collectors, enthusiasts, and users will all band together an kick in a few bucks too.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but if even 10% of Canadians who carry a pocket knife kicked in just 5 bucks each this thing would be funded on no time.

Last edited:
Up to almost 7000 signatures on the petition! Bust sadly, still only 133 donations for the court challenge. That said, those 133 donations total $6340, so awesome job so far!!

Time to give this thread a bump!

The petition is up to 7544 signatures and while it has slowed down, the signatures are still coming in fairly strong.

The gofundme for the court challenge has been a little slower to grow. There are now 158 individual donations for a total of $7155 in raised funds. A great start but still a long ways to go.

The number of individual donations to the legal fight is just 2% of the number of people who have signed the petition.

I think this legal challenge stands a reasonable chance of success. If nothing else, it stands a far better chance than just having a petition entered into the offices record during a sitting of parliament!

Here's hoping the legal challenge gets enough funding to move ahead!

I'm not going to lie, I am more than a little disappointed that we don't see the names of any Canadian knife retailers in the list of contributors for the legal challenge. You would think they would want to contribute, even minimally, to help ensure their own livelihood. I can understand independent outdoor retailer/ gun shops where knives don't account for much of their sales volume,but there are Canadian companies who's sole business is selling knives and all we hear from them is crickets...

I don't get how the one shot we have at successfully overturning this decision can only garner the support of 186 contributors (some of whom are actually Americans who were happy to chip in a few bucks to help their neighbors to the north out - Thanks guys!!).

Over 8000 people took the time to sign the petition, so this issue obviously matters to someone. However, of the 8262 who have signed so far, just 2.2% seem to have cared about the issue enough to put their money where their mouths (keyboards in this case) are and donate even a few buck to the legal challenge. I don't mean to sound like a nag here,but come on guys.... We can do a lot better than that!

Also, if you have the time, join me in writing a few politely worded emails to some of the retailers you routinely buy knives from (here in Canada and even in thew USA) and ask them what they are doing to earn our continued business in the face of this ridiculous ruling.

This seems like it can actually be a relatively easy win for us, for once, but I have this sinking feeling that the whole thing will die before it ever gets going due to a lack of genuine interest....

https://www.gofundme.com/canadian-knife-rights-law-suit

Signed and emailed my MP. We really need to put pressure on our MPs, send them non-stop emails, hand written letters, phone them, visit them at their office to discuss the problem. A petition can only go so far. Enough is enough.

i'm embarrassed to admit I only found out about this last night. from a youtube comments section at that. by the time I looked into it the e- petition was over, but I just emailed my MP.

i'm embarrassed to admit I only found out about this last night. from a youtube comments section at that. by the time I looked into it the e- petition was over, but I just emailed my MP.
Thanks for emailing. Hopefully we can all put a stop to this asap.

Back