Plumb Manufacturing Thread

Great thread. Love the history.

I've got quite a few plumbs - a few to add to this.

Plumb USA stamp.

a smaller Plumb victory Connecticut pattern (one of my favorites). I have three Plumb victory axes (one of which was Operator's).

1930s Plumb advert featuring Peter Mclaren:

ScannedImage_zpscb4f3aca.jpg

My favorite axe that I own is plumb, and it's not even an axe. It's a mutant. I put a plumb hatchet head (heavy hatchet) on a 21 inch boys axe handle. It now resides in my truck, I need to make a new cover for it though....and resend and oil the handle

I have one of those hewing hatchets by plumb too, I haven't used it though, I should probably get rid of it for another heavy hatchet head that I can use for a copy of the first onev

Great info and pic's...Thanks for taking the time !

Attachments

• IMG_4745.JPG
    IMG_4745.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4750.JPG
    IMG_4750.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thanks for the thread. Interesting that Plumb advertised its axes as having "twice the life". Below is an ad from the December 3, 1921 Saturday Evening Post which said that the bits were "double tempered for two full inches above the cutting edge". These days, ANSI standards call for hardening at least a half inch back from the cutting edge, and Council Tool aims for 1-1/4 inch from the edge.

books

[Note the stamps on these pictured axes: PLUMB U.S.A.]

Nice post!
Here in Australia recently at Bunnings they stocked a Plumb axe but the head was stamped Hultafors bruks sweden, and came with a Coopers tools branded file. Was about $50au.

Plumb small rafting / Boys axe

Tom[/QUOTE]

Does it have a hardened poll?

edit to add: I think I see the temper line. Pretty much my dream axe right now.

Last edited:
Plumb small rafting / Boys axe

Tom

edit to add: I think I see the temper line. Pretty much my dream axe right now.[/QUOTE]

I believe that it does have a hardened poll. I tried a file on it and it just slide off it.

Tom

Nice post!
Here in Australia recently at Bunnings they stocked a Plumb axe but the head was stamped Hultafors bruks sweden, and came with a Coopers tools branded file. Was about $50au.

Thanks for confirming that those (Cooper) Plumbs sold in Australia are made by HB. $50 seems like a steal.

Here's a current production axe from Plumb that is made in Sweden (!) and supposedly available online.
The Plumb Tasmanian [model ATR45C32]
4.5 pounds, 32 inches

1780.jpg

This axe lists for less than $100, the catch is that it seems to be sold only in Australia.
It appears in the 2010 catalog for Cooper Tools (parent of Plumb, Nicholson, Crescent, etc) in Australia.

This Plumb Tasmanian looks suspiciously similar to the Arvika Five Star made by Hults Bruk:
pic12b.jpg

The axe above the Arvika is the Black King, also made in Sweden and sold in Canada.

In the past, Plumb made a Tasmanian model in the USA for export to Australia.
From YesteryearsTools:
Plumb%20Racing%20Color%209.jpg

http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears%20Tools/Plumb%20Co..html

edit to add: I think I see the temper line. Pretty much my dream axe right now.

I believe that it does have a hardened poll. I tried a file on it and it just slide off it.

Tom[/QUOTE]

Oh, man. Your lucky we have a sea between us or else I might have tried to steal it from you.

Great choice for a thread, Operator. Really good stuff. Thanks.
bow.gif

I only have a few photos to add. This is my 5-pound waffle-poll rafter and a pre-Permabond scout style hatchet.

Plumb%20axes.jpg

And here's a Jersey I recently gave to a friend.

2-Banana%20grind.jpg

Those were used to slaughter cattle. As they came through the chute each was struck on the head with the poll of that tool.

Back