Plumb Manufacturing Thread

Wow, that thing really is a monster. It seems like it would still be balanced decently though, as the bit isn't too far out from the head. Should split with the best of them.

My Plumbs, just for fun.

3,2 Rockaway

Half-hatchet

BSA Hatchet

A nice, lighter-weight DB

Just rehandled this monster 5lb Dayton - a beast!

15290959058_b91e9f787c_b_d.jpg

That looks like a Connecticut to me. Fine axe in any case.

Just rehandled this monster 5lb Dayton - a beast! I reused the handle it came with but put a ton of effort into thinning and shaping the handle

15454513006_8058c5f38d_b_d.jpg

Good morning fellas,

That is just a great example of a refurbishment :thumbup: What was the idea behind the "flare" behind the cutting edge? I see this design often enough but have never asked...is it to keep the cheek from binding? Is it at all unique to Plumb and does that feature make it better for splitting vs other duties?

Thank you,

Those are called 'phantom bevels'. They are functional, serving the same purpose as a high centerline on an axe head. But they're also decorative, hence the name 'phantom'.

Many 19th century axes were made with wrought iron bodies with steel bits forge welded in. Wrought iron had to be considerably thicker than steel to have the required strength for an axe head. It was discovered that deep bevels allowed those axes to penetrate deeper while still releasing from the wood and not getting stuck. Those bevels came to be a hallmark of a top quality axe.

As the Bessemer process and other new steel manufacturing systems came to be wrought iron went by the wayside. Axes became slimmer. It was found that a simple high centerline was all that was necessary to provide the strength and chip-breaking ability in a quality axe. But traditions die hard. Many people still preferred the stylistic appearance of bevels on an axe and the makers were happy to oblige them. Virtually all the major axe makers made axes with these phantom bevels in them. They are still popular today, though unnecessary. And let's face it, they still look good.

When I closed down my electrical contracting business I found an old axe in the tool room. The head is all rusted and the handle has electrician tape on it. I took it home anyway and recently decided to see if I can clean it up. I cut the handle off, bought a new one from the local hardware store. Sanded off the rust and poured some cold blue on the bare metal. Then I stained the handle since it is so pale. It started looking pretty and I don't plan to use it so I clear coated the whole thing. I figured old tools are meant to be stared at and fondled.:pAxe 7.jpgAxe 8.jpgAxe 6.jpgAxe 5.jpgAxe 4.jpg

Just Picked up this Plumb Boys Axe at a Garage Sale... person selling didn't know the history. Haft is 28", head feels about 2-2.5 lbs.

Does anybody know how to tell how old this is? Want to make sure it's quality steel before I invest time into restoring. I understand that there are some contemporary tools that have used the Plumb name (origin China?) that are of lesser quality cast steel. Anyone know how to tell the difference?

Thanks
~Barrnone

Plumb_BoysAxe_1_zpsefjjvmmk.jpg

Plumb_BoysAxe_3_zpsl0qaszg6.jpg

I very, very much appreciate your work on the history of PLUMB axes! My favorite vintage axes are PLUMB. Next to PLUMB I really adore COUNCIL TOOL AXES. They have also earned respect in my family. My grandfathers all the way back to my great, great grandfather were lumberjacks on both sides of my family all the way back into the 1840's.

My grandfather's axe was a Council Tool axe that he purchased from his brother for $1.00. It served him for a lifetime. He took care of it and sharpened it in a proper way(wet grindstone) and it never had a unbalance appearance because he cared. Also, my family was poor and each tool was precious and must be taken well care of. One of my cousins owns that axe and refuses to let anyone have it. She says it will go to her only son.GOOD FOR HER!

Ripshin

Do the numbers above the square Plumb logo correspond with head weight? I'm most familiar with 3,2 Plumb heads, but I saw a 6 Plumb Jersey on the bay recently, and it was listed as a 6 pound head.

WOW! This is quite the informative thread! I know much more about Plumb now than I did a half hour ago. :cool:

Is this the original handle for this Plumb Anchor hewing-hatchet? It has numbers stamped on the bottom like another Plumb hatchet I have, maybe all manufacturer's did this though. What year did Plumb use this logo? This is a big hatchet.....5 1/8" cutting edge.

11907162_882515345172680_495620476956471094_o.jpg

11265392_882515265172688_3268912262991723928_o.jpg

11950291_882515295172685_4882257730353474023_o.jpg

I saw this one over the weekend but was unable to buy it. It's an Ames era Plumb. The sticker on the handles says, "A McDonough Co".

There are some clear die marks on the poll that weren't ground off.

Plumb%20broad%20hatchet.jpg

I had posted one of these in this thread before but the Photo is gone.

The top one has a Y&P light stamp and the bottom one is stamped FRP medium. Both have octagon handles and I suspect are original.

P1010010_zpsfxcr2hwo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010013_zps54fpfqgj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
P1010014_zpsgbyc7p7s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Both very nice but I especially like the look of that lower handle.

Are either of the handles kerfed?

Both very nice but I especially like the look of that lower handle.

Are either of the handles kerfed?

No kerfs. The older one (YP stamped) was painted white at one time which I think is correct for its time period.

I do know that not all replacement handles came with saw kerfs already cut in back in the day, so there is that also.

Who knows where these are made, anymore. $30 isn't going to kill you either. Seems to me a classic brand name on an offshore-made lowest-bidder tool is about all that's left of n. American industry. That same $30 (without CDN 13% goods and service tax) ought to get you a real prize at a flea market/garage sale, and a fortuitous Plumb or Y & P anchor stamp on it will actually mean something.

Who knows where these are made, anymore. $30 isn't going to kill you either. Seems to me a classic brand name on an offshore-made lowest-bidder tool is about all that's left of n. American industry. That same $30 (without CDN 13% goods and service tax) ought to get you a real prize at a flea market/garage sale, and a fortuitous Plumb or Y & P anchor stamp on it will actually mean something.

Stamp says made in USA when you zoom in. Edit: actually just USA, wonder where it's made?

Back