Plumb Manufacturing Thread

Great thread! Worth keeping! I do have a questions about the Plumb Pulaski. I recently made a purchase and it’s in the mail. I was looking for a TT Pulaski, but a Plumb caught my attention the most. I can’t find any info on production numbers on their FSS line for the government. I’d like to learn about production dates also. Like I stated earlier this thread is awesome! Thanks to all who have posted!
Marty B.

Great thread! Worth keeping! I do have a questions about the Plumb Pulaski. I recently made a purchase and it’s in the mail. I was looking for a TT Pulaski, but a Plumb caught my attention the most. I can’t find any info on production numbers on their FSS line for the government. I’d like to learn about production dates also. Like I stated earlier this thread is awesome! Thanks to all who have posted!
Marty B.
Unlikely you'll get very far with this; expendable tools are a far cry from gov't itemized and inventoried radios, rifles and Jeeps. FSS (Federal Supply Service) originated in 1949 if I recall. Interestingly enough Plumb began setting their hammers and axes in an epoxy compound (Permabond) beginning in 1955-56. 55s used black material and 56s and up used red. If your Pulaski has it's original handle and features a wood wedge it'll be 49-55 vintage. Ames took over Plumb Industries in 1971 and Cooper Tools bought them out 10 years later. Ames pared back Plumb's axe lineup and Cooper pretty much folded it up.

Last edited:
Well i haven't worked on many axes in the last year but ive been accumulating about 20 or so from auctions in the last year and I'm starting on the best ones. The first is a Plumb house axe with a 15in. handle with some of the Plumb red paint still on the handle without permabond and id like to see if anybody can help me with a date.
52292.jpeg 52291.jpeg 52288.jpeg 52286.jpeg 52285.jpeg

Next is a Jersey pattern with a 3.5lb head and a 28in handle with Plumb red paint still on it and no permabond and also no Plumb stamp but whats left of a square label and has rounded lobes like a Plumb. Is this a Plumb?? If it is im sure its pretty late but just wanna tap into some knowledge from fellow axe heads.52313.jpeg 52301.jpeg 52303.jpeg 52305.jpeg 52310.jpeg ]

Last edited:
I think the house axe is pre-1956 when they started using permabond. I have Plumb house axes with both convex and flat cheeks which both have permabond. So permabond survived into the Ames and Cooper Tools eras after convex cheeks had disappeared.

Both of your axes are post Plumb Victory. They lack the striations that persisted slightly past the end of the war. So you axes are almost certainly from the early '50s or possibly the late '40s.

I think the house axe is pre-1956 when they started using permabond. I have Plumb house axes with both convex and flat cheeks which both have permabond. So permabond survived into the Ames and Cooper Tools eras after convex cheeks had disappeared.

Both of your axes are post Plumb Victory. They lack the striations that persisted slightly past the end of the war. So you axes are almost certainly from the early '50s or possibly the late '40s.
By striations do you mean the small lines going through the name plumb? I've often wondered if that could help date a plumb. I've got to load up some pictures and post my plumbs here later today. Cool thread! I'm really surprised it isn't hundreds of pages long!

By striations do you mean the small lines going through the name plumb?

No, I'm talking about long grooves left by the coarse finish grinding that Victory axes were given during the war. There are a couple good examples on the first page of this thread.
SAM_1665_zps16fb7a21.jpg

No, I'm talking about long grooves left by the coarse finish grinding that Victory axes were given during the war. There are a couple good examples on the first page of this thread.
SAM_1665_zps16fb7a21.jpg
Ahh i see. That is an interesting little tidbit to know. Thanks. Are you aware of when plumb used the lines through their name? Or did they use it throughout?

Thanks for the information Square_peg. On the head with no Plumb stamp would there be any way to know it was a Plumb head without the red handle?

Even a red handle and permabond don't mean it's a Plumb. I've seen import knockoffs that had those. If it doesn't say Plumb assume it isn't.

Wow some nice plumbs! They are a good axe... here are the ones I've collected in the 8 or 9 months I've been collecting.
ox6L1ds.jpg
pHM04it.jpg

Michigan pattern db
rndA6Pf.jpg

Wedge pattern
T0KXjjb.jpg

This one is a worn out Dayton OVB
U0a1c0Z.jpg

Boy scout hatchet i made a black walnut handle for.
gtyTUwf.jpg
CFkPD0X.jpg
WeuojPG.jpg
Z8yOTHp.jpg

Real nice half hatchet with original handle and the "take up screw"
WZ549Nx.jpg
fglQfi9.jpg
IHriBc3.jpg

And the NOS haft i hung the double bit on . Does anyone recognize this handle? I'd like to know what company made it.
HUFdIxB.jpg

I sure do love axes!

Last edited:
I just picked up a Plumb All American 3 1/2 lb head Cooper group axe. It has an original handle and Perma bond.
The thing that has me stumped is the overall handle length is 18 1/2 inches. It is a straight handle(original) with a swell on the bottom.
Would this be considered a house axe or is it a miner's axe.

Back