PM2: A Little Ugly

I think a lot of you mistook my original post, or maybe I "misphrased" it.
My main point is that the PM2's functionality most likely wouldn't be compromised with a 1 or 2mm reduction
in hole diameter. But it'd make a world of difference in appearance. I love my PM2 and consider it one of the all time greatest knives ever made. But we can all wish for unattainable things, right?
I can't say I really agree simply because I don't notice hole size all that much. But the knife was not made to be a looker that's for sure, it's a pure work knife.

I bought an original Paramilitary back in 2008/2009 sometime and I loved the way it looked. When the PM2 came out, I thought it looked even better. My first PM2 was a Camo/black s30v. It was the smoothest PM2 and knife I have ever owned. Over the years I have had various versions of the PM2. Black/satin bladehq m4 satin, knife works CF/satin and reluctantly sold them all for other knives. After a 5 year hiatus....I picked up a Camo/black s30v version and couldn’t be happier. It really is a fantastic knife. I can understand how some people would not like the looks of it, but I think Once they get it in hand and see how great it actually is, they might change their minds.

My main point is that the PM2's functionality most likely wouldn't be compromised with a 1 or 2mm reduction in hole diameter. But it'd make a world of difference in appearance.

I did a quick comparison today. Readily available I have a Manix2, PM2, Dragonfly, and Tenacious. With my cheap plastic Harbor Freight Caliper the Manix2 and PM2 blade holes measure about 14mm. The Tenacious measures about 12.5mm. The Dragonfly measures just under 11mm. I don't have real fat fingers compared to some people so I can operate the Tenacious pretty well and it doesn't feel bad, but then switching back to the PM2 it feels just a little bit more positive. I can't open the Dragonfly one-handed because the handle is much too small for my hand to grip. As for looks the Tenacious almost looks odd to me with its slightly smaller hole, just what I'm used to. (I've also thought that the Endura looks a bit odd with its smaller hole.) However I think it would be useful to add some material back to the blade to make it stronger- I've seen several people post recently that they broke their blades through the opening hole which is a natural weak spot. This is a small percentage of failures compared to the number of blades out there so I can't say that this is an indication of something wrong with the design.

She's a beauty.:)
cEnEDmr.jpg
Now that's a PM I could own, beefy, no plastic. I would be my first PM, I have around 50 Spydies but no PM's yet, I will be on the lookout for one(I like my tanto's).

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a Spyderco broken at the hole. I'm sure it's happened once or twice, but it's simply not a concern.
I also like the look of the Spyderco drop point and leaf-shaped blades. I think the Police 4 is one of the most elegant-looking knives around. Flowing lines and organic arcs. No 90deg angle modern tactical ugliness. My opinion of course.

Maybe you should try the Native Chief. I think the hole is smaller, and the lack of finger ramp makes the blade look more "normal".

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a Spyderco broken at the hole. I'm sure it's happened once or twice, but it's simply not a concern.
I also like the look of the Spyderco drop point and leaf-shaped blades. I think the Police 4 is one of the most elegant-looking knives around. Flowing lines and organic arcs. No 90deg angle modern tactical ugliness. My opinion of course.

Maybe you should try the Native Chief. I think the hole is smaller, and the lack of finger ramp makes the blade look more "normal".

I personally have 2x broken Manix blades. M390 and Maxamet..
Both from end of blade, up through the Spydie hole..

To be fair.. I had the wrong tool for the job, with the M390..
Stripping kinling off a log and using a 1" branch, to baton the back of the Manix blade.
Have used other Spyderco's, in other steel's, to do the same.. No issues.

The Maxamet was 2nd hand a came with a sharpening choil. The little twist of cutting a ½" branch, was too much for it and snapped.

Threw a couple pennies in the trash, with those 2..

I personally have 2x broken Manix blades. M390 and Maxamet..
Both from end of blade, up through the Spydie hole..

To be fair.. I had the wrong tool for the job, with the M390..
Stripping kinling off a log and using a 1" branch, to baton the back of the Manix blade.
Have used other Spyderco's, in other steel's, to do the same.. No issues.

The Maxamet was 2nd hand a came with a sharpening choil. The little twist of cutting a ½" branch, was too much for it and snapped.

Threw a couple pennies in the trash, with those 2..
Yeah that sucks. Maxamet is probably the least tough blade steel Spyderco offers...

I think it happens more then you think, But usually from abuse or accidentally dropping (from 6 feet) blade first like this poor Manix 2. I gifted this to a close family friend who graduated Basic Marines late 2019. He has absolutely abused that knife the last year (mostly prying and using as screwdriver) and was amazed the blade lasted that long. He'll never buy anything but Spyderco.

IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1431.jpg

Does anybody really believe that the blade with a hole is as strong as the same blade without? Its a trade off and seems to work OK when used as intended, I consider most Spydeco's as light duty knives. For heavy duty use I grab one of my Cold Steel Triad folders, for most things I do the Spydie works for me. I like all of the beautiful designs and cutting edge steels that Spyderco is famous for. Pretty cool having the actual owner on here too.

The spydie hole is not a weak point. You’ll never break the hole.

I've been on the forums long enough to see a few broken across the hole.

I've seen more broken at the tip, and a few at the tang etc.

Spyderco has a lot of designs wirh thin geometry. Make for cutting, not prying or chopping.

The thumb hole is an area with less steel, and where lateral force or torque may result in failure.

I'm not an expert at all things Spyderco. I own three, and that is enough to make me want to own more.

Spyderco does make thick knives. But I like knives that cut.

I think any knife can be easily pushed to its limits. But over the years, I have realized that I do not need to carry a folding 1/4 thick pry bar as my edc knife. I have carried them and used them for everything. But at the end of the day, a PM2, delica, bugout, GB1, and many more will do everything you need and still hold up. Just be aware about what you push the knife to. If you need to pry, get a pry bar..... This is coming from a guy that used to be on the opposite end of the spectrum. This thread needs more pitchers................

0jtnNue.jpg

Last edited:
Very few, if any, folders in production today have the loyal following that the PM2 does. Must be a decent knife, high performing and not too prone to breakage.

I've been on the forums long enough to see a few broken across the hole.

I've seen more broken at the tip, and a few at the tang etc.

Spyderco has a lot of designs wirh thin geometry. Make for cutting, not prying or chopping.

The thumb hole is an area with less steel, and where lateral force or torque may result in failure.

I'm not an expert at all things Spyderco. I own three, and that is enough to make me want to own more.

Spyderco does make thick knives. But I like knives that cut.
The hole has no Steel.

The PM2 is a tool like any other tool.
A tool to be used for certain tasks that it is made for, it is not a screwdriver nor a pry-bar.
I am totally satisfied with the looks, feel and ability of my PM2.

While I love my PM2, I gotta think it has a face only a mother can love.
I don't understand why Spyderco didn't make the opening hole 1 or 2mm smaller in diameter.
I don't think it would compromise opening ease much, but it would sure look better. And, as an added side benefit, the blade would be stronger at that area too.
Your thoughts?

I've always been attracted to the oversize pm2 hole. It's a joy to open. The tip would snap off before the blade would break at the hole.

I will happily give up a little in the looks depot for a large hole. I personally wish all Spydie's had a large thumb hole, like the PM2.

But that's just me.

I personally think the PM2 is attractive anyway. If Spyderco did anything , I would want them to fix their pocket clips.
I have a Para 3 on the way and I already know I'm going to want an aftermarket pocket clip.

I digress. Have a good day all

Last edited:
Back