Pm2 Alternative suggestions

I'm a big fan of the PM2 but mine has seen much less pocket time since I acquired a ZT 450. I did have an issue with the pocket clip but customer service took care of it to my satisfaction in a timely manner. I agree with the idea of a small fixed blade. The Izula or Izula II is a good place to start.

Last edited:
I don't dislike flippers; but, if I'm being honest, I prefer having the option of alternate opening methods available. Useable thumbstuds, for example...or an opening hole. Sometimes I just find it preferable to open my knife in a slower, more controlled manner, rather than firing it open with a flipper tab. Realistically, it is pretty rare for me to find that the thumbstuds get in the way of cutting; and, if I'm going to be doing something for which that IS an issue, I likely have a fixed blade handy.

What is your budget for this knife? And, do you have a preference in opening method or lock type?

Reactions: whp
i had a 0450 and its action is amazing. I put a deep carry clip on it that I got free from ZT.

I did end up selling it as it was a tad slick in hand for me, if you put to much pressure on the lock bar the blade gets bound up. I havent tried the other versions and I do like the CF scaled one to save a bit of weight on an already light knife. Might be worth checking out of the other sinkavitch designed one.

But for a small EDC and something to couple with a larger EDC if you wanted. Would be a dragonfly salt h1 SE. That little knife does everything and is my overall favorite carry knife.

I never warmed up to the pm2. The lock would bite me and the "guard" got in the way of the reverse chest lever grip. I recently bought a yojimbo 2 and like it much better. I have no martial arts experience so I'll let Janich cover that but as an edc it's great. The knife is also shaped differently enough that the lock doesn't bite me either. I removed the clip on mine so it's my go to whenever I go someplace where I don't want a knife showing. It's the only modern folder that was able to kick my sak out of that role. It's about the length of the delica only with a longer edge.

I second the Cold Steel American Lawman.

The handle feels just a bit less "squared-off" to me.

I love, love, love the ZT 0450. I have the cf version and it is one of my favorite EDC knives. The action is incredible. The frame in either cf or ti aren't high traction but the ergonomics make up for that and the lack of high traction scales means your pocket doesn't get shredded.

I never warmed up to the pm2. The lock would bite me and the "guard" got in the way of the reverse chest lever grip. I recently bought a yojimbo 2 and like it much better. I have no martial arts experience so I'll let Janich cover that but as an edc it's great. The knife is also shaped differently enough that the lock doesn't bite me either. I removed the clip on mine so it's my go to whenever I go someplace where I don't want a knife showing. It's the only modern folder that was able to kick my sak out of that role. It's about the length of the delica only with a longer edge.

I have to know. What is a reverse chest lever grip?

Go for 0562 ;)
IMG_20170517_193033_262.jpg

What model Spyderco is that on the bottom and what type of CF scales does it have?

Lapedog Lapedog
Hold the knife with the blade facing the webbing of your palm/knuckles with the butt of the handle anchored near your sterum.
It works well for harder controlled cuts in wood among other materials.
The knife is levered off of your chest, using the butt as a pivot. You can increase the force of the cut by pulling on the piece you are cutting.

With your arms close, you can generate a decent amount of force while cutting away from yourself, especially since you hold the piece your cutting behind the knife edge (with your left hand by your left shoulder or so, when holding the knife with your right hand).

I never would have thought of that on my own. Sounds complicated though, I gotta look up a video.

Ok I got it now. Neat grip, I'll have to try it. I've seen people using that grip with axes.

Been using this method for 40+ years.... never knew it actually had a name.

Bradford Guardian 3 will round out your collection nicely as well. Carry a fixed blade for awhile, you'll find it enjoyable.

You search google images for that and first one that comes up is a guy with a pm2 doing it lol.
chest-lever.jpg

Agree with ZT0562 (definitely CF)
I have many more expensive knives but this is still in my top 3 for daily edc.
Also CRK.. i have an umnumzaan... amazing blade and quality. Sebenzas are also great.

I never warmed up to the PM2 as much as I really wanted to. The forced grip at the rear of the handle made it too small for my hands. Didn't necessarily care for the blade length/shape either.

Still wanting something a little larger than my 940 for EDC, I tried the GB1. Outstanding folding knife if there ever was one. I still say, if I could only keep one of my folders, it's the GB1. But for EDC, a tad heavy and thick. I wanted the blade and handle a 1/4" longer to fit my hands even better than the GB1.

So I wound up with the GB2. Almost the perfect large EDC for me. I got the extra length that I wanted, it's a tad thinner and noticeably lighter than the GB1 with better balance in the hand. No forced grip in the rear and better blade shape than the PM2 IMO. I am perfectly fine with a well executed liner lock and the GB2 has that. I love the obscured lock. If I want to flip a knife in the recliner then I grab my 940.

TJw0u5M.jpg

Biukj6Y.jpg

epzfd3M.jpg

Back