PM2 M4 real or fake?

A friend of mine has an M4 PM2 that he was wondering if it was real or not and posted on a FB page asking about it. The post went south real fast and he deleted the post, so I told him I would ask here because you guys generally give better responses without the drama.

First thing is it does not have notches in the liner. Other than that, it looks real to me. Are the notches a dead giveaway, or do some PM2s not have notches? Hes texting me pics in a few that I can upload later if I need to.

Real ones have offset notches, fake does not.
^ This. I have had/handled a lot of known legitimate PM2’s and all of them have had off-set notches (it’s the same in the 5 Para3’s I’ve had). If they’re missing: I’d bet money it’s a fake. But I’d also say their presence isn’t a 100% sure thing either (since the fakes progressively get better).

I don't know...not sure about this one. I held up my M4 PM2 next to zoomed pictures, and if it is a fake it is a very good one.

Lack of notches may be due to the angle of the picture, and the poor image quality - lighting is not good, focus is not good.

The blade looks like it has been on a belt sander a few times in the hands of someone who could have used some practice.

The only things that stand out to me are the tiny tab on the underside of the lock bar - I have not seen that before, and the lock bar position when open is not consistent between top and bottom views.

Does it act like M4? Does it stain like M4? Does it take a very sharp, crisp edge like M4? Does it hold that edge well? Is it hard like Spyderco does M4?

I have 3 PM2's. One of them does not have offset notches. The notches line up.
Purchased from Spyderco dealer. I have no doubt it is real...it is the only thing
different from the other 2 I have.

The spider is wrong as well. The one pictured has a dot in the center of the body.

Back