PM2 Maxamet appreciation thread

rexromic

Gold Member
Hi,
Recently bought a new Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in Maxamet.Did read all kinds of stories about the steel,warped blades,rust etc..but decided to try one.
After months of use this is my take.Been cutting food,cardboard,plastic,paper,etc and after use I just clean the blade and put few of mineral oil drops on it.No patina or rust at all.Blade looks slightly warped but for this hardness that is understandable and does not have effect on the performance or looks.Amazingly still razor sharp and I have to be very careful when handling it ;).
Action is smooth,carry is easy and light.To be honest I always prefferd my GB1 as the best Spyderco ever made and never was fan of PM2 as for some reasons but after actually having one and handling it in this incredible Maxamet I'am blown away.Phenomenal user with amazing steel.
Will get another one for sure before people really understand how good this PM2 Maxamet is.
Thank you Spyderco!
Cheers

42D2CBBA-A3A1-42F9-AF5E-B918247A1382_1_201_a.jpeg

I totaly love Maxamet. Used it exclusively for everything for a month without any issues and I share your opinion. I want it in bigger blades, like the Native Chief and the Military.

It carved

IMG-0762.jpg

I made green and red salsa:

PM2-Maxamet-Green-Chili-Sauce.jpg

CIMG0851.jpg

processed a rabbit:

CIMG0835.jpg

Chopped greens

CIMG0848.jpg

Acidic foodstuff:

CIMG0844.jpg

And still ended up looking great after all:

IMG-0706.jpg

:thumbsup:
I should add that Maxamet is not brittle. I was cutting breather holes into cardboard, just triangular ones using wrist action and I hit the edge of a steel barrel under the cardboard. There was a tiny chip visible on the factory edge, I didn't even bother to fix it and it went away three weeks later when I did my first sharpening. Also, a fraction of a millimeter is missing from the tip, but that can happen with any steel on a PM2 blade.

I've been using my Maxamet over the last month and it's slowly picking up a nice patina. It's been used for cardboard and cutting through a bunch of olive branches in the back yard. I did touch it up once but it is still very shaving sharp with edge holding that is very impressive. Overall it's not too difficult to sharpen but I did not let it become dull.

I do have a milled Razor Edge clip like the OP but ended up putting an a MXG short deep pocket clip since it fits my had without hot spots.

Quick update as I've continued to use my Maxamet PM2. The shaving sharp edges certainly does not last forever but it does move into a very usable edge for multiple weeks. I'm now doing a touch-up every week which, to be honest, is what I tend do do with most of my knives that I rotate. Overall I'm still finding my Hinderers with M390 keeps a shaving sharp edge longer and equal working edge.

I’ve been seriously considering buying one of these. Just can’t bring myself to pull the trigger yet.

If sharpened properly, I find it holds its razor edge longer than any other steel I've used under most conditions. Same with working edge.
Sage 1 is my favorite.

I took my PM2 Maxamet on my 2wk vacation without sharpening. It did lose the shaving edge in the first few days but it did keep cutting. Once home I did spend about 15mins on the Sharpmaker and it's back to shaving sharp. Overall it is very tough and keeps a working edge well and is not that tough to sharpen.

Last edited:
Love the scales! I'm still EDC'ing my Maxamet PM2 as I just can't seem to use anything else these days. I have my Demko AD20 sitting on my desk that I play with but nothing has bumped the PM2 from my pocket.

Back