1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

PM2 scale swap

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by smt5141, Dec 17, 2018.

1. smt5141

smt5141

Feb 14, 2009
    Any tips/videos that can assist in helping me do a scale swap/PM2 disassembly/reassembly?

And what tools are necessary?

2. MMGRenovations

MMGRenovations Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Your going to need a good set of torx for starters. How old is your knife? You might also have red locktite to deal with. The other obstacle that can get a little difficult is the lanyard tube. The ends are flared out. Depending on how your knife was put together it can be moderately difficult or a major pain.

willywall likes this.
  3. BadComrade

BadComrade Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2017
    My 2 cents, Don’t cheap out on a torx kit and waste your money like me. A good kit like the Wiha set is worth the extra money. I find cheap torx kits will strip your PM2 screws because they’re not always the exact size they’re advertised.

Lapedog, wildwoodsy and willywall like this.
  4. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    As said, a Wiha torx set and also grab a soldering iron to heat the pivot and body screws if you detect their could be red loctite to deal with.

willywall likes this.
  5. smt5141

smt5141

Feb 14, 2009
    It’s an M4 DLC satin but I can’t speak to the age

6. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    DLC satin?

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  7. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    :eek:

on_the_edge and Sigsog226 like this.
  8. smt5141

smt5141

Feb 14, 2009
    Can’t seem to get the screws off. Have used a wiha set, now I think they are stripped. Got out the majority but two were quite stubborn

9. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    A little heat.
    Soldering iron.
    Hair dryer

10. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2013
    What color was the loctite on the screws you did get out?

11. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    If there is locktite don't try and force it. Defeat the locktite with heat or shock.

The other obstacle is the lanyard tube. Good luck cause it's a pain in the ass no matter how many times you've taken one apart.

This may help a little. Nick makes it look easy, but it's not the majority of times. Also avoid the Nano oil and liberal application of lube of any type.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. Rusty_shackelford

Rusty_shackelford Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2013
    ^ is he using the same size bit for his pivot and body screws?

13. luke86

luke86

Mar 29, 2015
    Its likely. His disassembly and "maintenance" videos make me cringe. Seems like a nice guy and I enjoy a lot of his vidoes but I take what I see in these type videos with a grain of salt. He has no business telling people how to do those things when he clearly can't do it well himself.

Mo2 and Rusty_shackelford like this.
  14. on_the_edge

on_the_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2006
    I should have taken pics the last time I took one apart. I have a surefire, no-fuss-no-muss easy way to deal with the lanyard tube that has never let me down. It's a bit lengthy to explain, but very easy and quick to do once you understand the process.

Mo2 likes this.
  15. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Yea anything would help.

16. on_the_edge

Jan 31, 2006
    Got an email?

17. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Just posted it on your wall...

But I also found an igtv vid from the unofficial spyderco fan club page just now of how he does it.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/BqHOEf1BjaZ/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=uxo5u6klag3

He also has a vid on centering a spyderco

https://www.instagram.com/tv/BpPNb1FAOhj/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=8pji626qnawt

And his order of operations...
    https://www.instagram.com/tv/BqHKfbfB2jF/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=zv3ktzax1gc3

toxophilus likes this.
  18. on_the_edge

Jan 31, 2006
    @Mo2, I sent you an email.

ETA: I just watched the video you found. Fairly close to what I suggested, though I think the 3/32" punch is a better choice to use than the Wiha bit. But whatever works in the end is what matters.

19. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    Yea I'm gonna try and find the 3/32" punch. I think I might have one in the toolbox. I need to buy more bits too.

Anyone that's looking into new bits I recommend wiha align bits. They have a less rounded edge on the tip of the torx end. PB Swiss also make drivers that are excellent. Most of the brands from Sweden or Germany are better than most.