Question PMs/Conversations

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
Hi Spark,

I'm sure you'll have a million questions coming your way with all the changes, but I figured I'd ask as there may be others in the same boat as me. In your notes about the changes to Conversations from Private Messages, you mentioned that PM quotas have been greatly increased. As a Platinum member I was previously able to keep 300 PMs between my Sent and Inbox and have 287 stored. The post number allowed is now 200 which makes me 144% full and seems to be a decrease rather than any increase at all. Please advise when you get a chance.

Thanks for all your hard work to make a great forum even better. Hopefully you'll get a chance to chill out soon!

Steve

Last edited:
Yep, same issue here. I'm at 83% full, with 166 stored.

Also, there used to be an option to download/save Private Messages to my computer before deleting them. That doesn't seem to be an option now.

Thanks for your hard work, it really is appreciated. (or should be!) I assume some of this fine-tuning takes a while to sort out.

The old PMs each got stored as separate conversations, whereas all new PMs get added to a conversation with the recipient instead of adding up separately. Your messsge limit went up, but your conversation limit is what you're seeing right now, only because the old messsges were transferred over as conversations instead of messages.

Delete some of those old conversations/messages and the problem will be fixed.

The old PMs each got stored as separate conversations, whereas all new PMs get added to a conversation with the recipient instead of adding up separately. Your messsge limit went up, but your conversation limit is what you're seeing right now, only because the old messsges were transferred over as conversations instead of messages.

Delete some of those old conversations/messages and the problem will be fixed.

Thanks for the summary, Matthew. It was very helpful as I had been wondering about this too.

I think I get it now. My limit as a Gold Member is 50. That means 50 conversations not 50 messages. Pretty cool actually.

Hi, I can't seem to find out how to start a conversation. Can someone help me with info? I was able to do so before the switch.

Hi, I can't seem to find out how to start a conversation. Can someone help me with info? I was able to do so before the switch.

You must be a paying member to PM someone. Same restriction as before the switch.

On a similar topic. Where the heck is the button to delete old conversations? I feel like I've gone through every option and I can't find a delete option a.

I can't seem to figure out what the difference is between a "conversation" and a "PM"?

I am kinda lost with the whole "PM's were added as converastions.

I can't seem to figure out what the difference is between a "conversation" and a "PM"?

I am kinda lost with the whole "PM's were added as converastions.

That which was called a "PM" in the old software is now called "a conversation".
There's a couple of extra bells and whistles, but it basically works the same way.

A conversation works like a private thread. If I start one with you, that counts as "one" conversation no matter how many times we post, our entire private thread counts as "one" conversation.

With PM's, each message in your inbox and outbox counted as a message.

When we switched over, each PM turned into an individual conversation, since it's a different format.

Clear as mud right there:p

In connexion with this, how do you send a visitor message or e-mail? In the past, you clicked a user's name and you could send a VM direct or an e-mail option if the member accepted e-mails.

Thanks, Will

In connexion with this, how do you send a visitor message or e-mail? In the past, you clicked a user's name and you could send a VM direct or an e-mail option if the member accepted e-mails.

Thanks, Will
Profile post is the new VM.
No idea how to send someone an Email.
I just clicked around a couple of member profiles and didn't see an email option.
I guess we'll need to ask for email addresses from individuals.

Sorry but I don't understand. How is a conversation like a private thread? Is it public? Can anyone read it? How is that different from a PM before which was private and also a thread? Totally confused as to "one" conversation part also.

It is like Chinese to me when you guys talk or explain stuff. Explain things for us old guys that are not that update on techy talk.

Sorry but I don't understand.

How is a conversation like a private thread?
Start one and you'll see how it works like a thread. Send me one if you'd like.

Is it public?
No, it can only be viewed by the people that are in the conversation

Can anyone read it?
No, it can only be viewed by the participants in the conversation

How is that different from a PM before which was private and also a thread?
The old PM system looked nothing at all like a thread. The new conversation looks and acts like a thread.

Totally confused as to "one" conversation part also.
Ok, let's say in the old system, you sent me a PM and I responded, that would count as two messages. Each one of those counts against your total messages allowed.

↓Five total messages between you and I on the old PM system↓
1.Me: blah
2.You: blah
3.Me: blah
4.You: blah
5.Me: blah

In the new system, if you send me a conversation and we talk back and forth 50 times, it's still the same conversation so it counts as one.

↓ONE conversation betwen you and me in the new system↓

Me: blah
You: blah
You: blah

It is like Chinese to me when you guys talk or explain stuff. Explain things for us old guys that are not that update on techy talk.
I don't know a damn thing about tech, I'm lucky if I can figure out how to work my cell phone.

This throws a wrench into the works-

According to the paid subscription page, there's still a limit to the number of total messages. For example Gold membership says 100 conversations are allowed, but only 250 total messages. Not sure if this applies.

Look, it's pretty simple.

Before, if you were a gold member you got 100 total PMs. Sent, received, whatever: X=100.

Now you have 100 conversations, with a total of 250 messages within them. Your total message amounts went up 150%.

Back