The Cowbell Build Thread

Thermal cycled and ready to grind. 52100 is a bit of a drama queen but worth the effort.
20200104_101251-01.jpeg

One of these will be Green Canvas Micarta

(Rupe hearing "Green Micarta" in the ether....)
little-things-that-get-our-anxiety-on-high-alert-in-a-flash-13.gif

A real Fine Grind to the Spine! Nice, John.
Thanks Dennis, an added bonus of etching at completion over stamping prior to HT is I can give it a light surface grind after heat treat and bring that plunge right where I want it, them etch the ricasso.

These will be getting coated with anti scale and all set for HT.

Thanks Dennis, an added bonus of etching at completion over stamping prior to HT is I can give it a light surface grind after heat treat and bring that plunge right where I want it, them etch the ricasso.

These will be getting coated with anti scale and all set for HT.
Comes out nice and clean for sure.

Those look sweet! I wish I could grind that nice. :oops:
I'll try to find the video but Neels Van den Berg has the best tip that helped me the most with my grinding bar none.

Control ALL forward pressure into the platen with your knee... bare with me.

With knife in hand and your arms locked tight to your body, try this stance.

If the handle is in your right hand, plant your right foot forward like your taking a step.

With the blade against the platen or wheel, whatever, apply grinding pressure forward by shifting weight to your knee and move it slightly forward. Be sure to your elbows and arms locked into your body.

This let's your upper body control and lock the position and angle of the blade, and your lower body control the pressure.

I can't find the video he did but honestly the moment I tried that technique I gained a ton of control.

If that didn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to describe it better.

It does make sense, that's sort of the same thing that my first woodturning instructor told me years ago. Control with your tool with your body instead of your arms and hands. If you can find the video that would be great. So simple but often forgotten. Thanks.
I'll try to find the video but Neels Van den Berg has the best tip that helped me the most with my grinding bar none.

Control ALL forward pressure into the platen with your knee... bare with me.

With knife in hand and your arms locked tight to your body, try this stance.

If the handle is in your right hand, plant your right foot forward like your taking a step.

With the blade against the platen or wheel, whatever, apply grinding pressure forward by shifting weight to your knee and move it slightly forward. Be sure to your elbows and arms locked into your body.

This let's your upper body control and lock the position and angle of the blade, and your lower body control the pressure.

I can't find the video he did but honestly the moment I tried that technique I gained a ton of control.

If that didn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to describe it better.

Hopefully they can get the lag fixed, it's not helping an already rapidly dying platform!

Blades are hardened and in their first of two temper cycles.

Dopic1 Dopic1 I've got maroon, green, black, and natural micarta, and black richlite at the moment. Any of those float your boat?

Back