The Cowbell Build Thread

Two reasons that I leave the welt sticking out all goofy. I can use it to straighten things out in a vice after forming it and it let's me trim it flush after its dried.
View attachment 1304056
Both sheaths are casing in a toaster oven right now, I'll pull them out every once in a while and re straighten them.

What's your regimen for casing the leather, John?

What's your regimen for casing the leather, John?
After wet forming I set a toaster oven for around 140 and let em dry out for about two hours. After that I hang them up and let them air dry overnight. I try not to mess with them while they're in the oven, but I straighten them out every half hour or so.

After wet forming I set a toaster oven for around 140 and let em dry out for about two hours. After that I hang them up and let them air dry overnight. I try not to mess with them while they're in the oven, but I straighten them out every half hour or so.

So the leather is pretty soaked through for wet forming?

That's good info. Thanks, John.
I lay a piece of leather down in the toaster oven to reduce the direct heat from the coils. Once you cook the leather too much your screwed, ask me how I learned that lol.

I know when I'm dry enough to oil when moisture content matches a dry piece of scrap, or under 5%. You don't want to oil moist leather but you don't want it to be completely dry for too long before oiling it
20200316_205021-01.jpeg

I know when I'm dry enough to oil when moisture content matches a dry piece of scrap, or under 5%. You don't want to oil moist leather but you don't want it to be completely dry for too long before oiling it
View attachment 1304170
That's good to know, too. I keep thinking I need to get a moisture meter, for wood. Never thought of using one for leather. Thanks for all the specifics.

That's good to know, too. I keep thinking I need to get a moisture meter, for wood. Never thought of using one for leather. Thanks for all the specifics.
I recently picked it up for testing wood and realized it was great for leather too. The prongs just need to touch, they dont actually pierce anything. I think that one cost me around 25 bucks.

Had a guy bring a load of wood once; I told him it looked, smelled, and felt green. He protested and pulled out his pocket moisture meter, which showed a result of, IIRC, 26.5% - I politely declined it. A handy device to have, for sure... ;)

Pretty handy for $25. I'll check that out. Thanks again :thumbsup:
You're welcome, the electrical tape is just there to hold a spare set of probes, not because of it being made poorly.

Change of plans for this 3rd run, @CoryMc you'll move into this slot if you're ready. I'll need a handle material, sheath type, and right or left hand. I have denim micarta to offer also as a handle choice. Let me know if you have questions or concerns:thumbsup:

FYI if anyone needs to buy themselves a little time and would like to bump down, I'm good with that just let me know and I'll adjust the list (which can be found here). Thanks everybody.

Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight...

Twinkle, twinkle little star...

:p :D

Back