The Cowbell Build Thread

This could call for a kickstarter, I'm thinking a 125k goal. Five thousand dollar buy in gets you two doohickeys AND a certificate of authenticity?:D

On a serious note that's a great idea Embry, something like would be perfect.

This could call for a kickstarter, I'm thinking a 125k goal. Five thousand dollar buy in gets you two doohickeys AND a certificate of authenticity?:D

On a serious note that's a great idea Embry, something like would be perfect.
I appreciate your insights, John. Since I already own much of the necessary equipment, I think we could rein the costs in under 100K. For the 5K buy-in, I'm thinking parchment certificates with 24K lettering, if that works for y'all...

With everything undyed, at least it'll all match :)

I'm still snickering over your the first post, I can picture it as a Monty Pythin skit.

Hey, John, did you make those Serrano sheaths out of the same thickness of leather as the Cowbell sheaths?

Hey, John, did you make those Serrano sheaths out of the same thickness of leather as the Cowbell sheaths?
I did, but I skive down the Cowbell sheaths quite a bit so they taper and aren't blocky.

Hey, we don't need to know what you do in your skivvies!:eek:
Hey, it's all part of the package:D

Wait, what?
tenor.gif

So glad to hear that Shel:thumbsup:

They sit so deep there's not much to grab onto, maybe we can figure out some kind of simple ripcord.

I have a question, once it is out of the sheath is the smoothness of the handle an issue? I tried to put enough contours in the handle so you could get a grip without needing a rough texture. We can always adjust things.

John, once out of the sheath, it's fine, still smooth, but there's plenty to hold onto, especially if the rip cord is tucked into the hand; it's the initial pinkie grasp/pull effort. Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing with the design of knife or sheath - but if I was to order another, I'd probably go with a grippier handle material.

I'm a sucker for small fixed blades. I don't know much about Busse Knives but I think there was one called a game warden(?) that I really liked, it seemed to be on the smaller side, I might be mistaken.

Snakeskin micarta satin Game Warden added for reference. ;) :thumbsup: (Probably my favorite micarta of all time. :cool:)

IMG_5263.jpg

The Game Warden model is almost exactly the same length as the Serrano, but it's got a lot more junk in the trunk (thicker stock, and much larger diameter handle), but it fits my XXL hands well. One of the only Busse without a lanyard hole somewhere aft of the handle slabs. A popular model for good reason, but one of the smaller Busse.

Adam is probably right, the Magnum Bear Cub is probably very close in size to the Cowbell Pocket Blade. Can't wait!!! :D

Last edited:
These are all stitched and waiting, I just need a block of shop time long enough to wet form and case them, should be tomorrow. Damn hobby knifemakers!:D
20200421_183513-01.jpeg
Pocket clip is for a left front pocket, I think it's gonna turn out well.

Those is gonna be sweet John, the pocket clip looks pretty cool!

Back