The Cowbell Build Thread

That's a good idea Shel, it sounds like used ones are rare as hens teeth. The biggest problem is that there's only a few models that have the ability to sew sheath thicknesses. It sounds like the majority max out around or below a 1/2". I started a thread in the sheath subforum here, hopefully I can get some input.

Look what showed up today....
puNfADm.jpg

Now that I'm finally pleased with my hand stitching skills I'm going to look into a machine. I know, Boo, Hiss, Booooo, but if it's good enough for Paul Long @sheathmaker, then it's good enough for a schmuck like me;)

I know a number of leather guys that use a machine. Hand stitching is nice, but if you are going to try to deal in any kind of volume, a machine is a must.

Thanks for posting that Ray, I hear you about hand done work, it's like it gets imbued with a presence that can't be duplicated. The current Dibs will be hand stitched as that's how they were offered. I doubt I'll have a machine anytime soon, the model I'm looking at runs around $3200 shipped. I'm a "Buy Once, Cry Once" guy and all about investing in the right machinery but that's a hard pill to swallow. Hell, my HT Oven and Mini Mill cost around that much combined:eek:

Having said that , I do recognize that leatherwork grinds my productivity to a crawl. Stitch layout and prep is over half of the overall time involved in a sheath for me. The result though is a stitch that looks the same front and back and that's important. If a machine can shave hours (literally) off each sheath though and maintain the same quality of stitch, I'm in.

My Grandmother used to build Goodyear Blimps in the early 1950's. She'd talk about the huge amounts of fabric laid out in a humorous hangar, giant needles and how much fun it was working there. Your story reminded me of that, which I haven't thought about in years.

IIRC (and this is completely going from memory :eek:), Dwayne Pucket @leatherman uses a Tipton Boss because it can go through so much leather at once. Might be worth pinging him about it, and maybe talk to Chad Pirtle @cpirtle too, I know he uses a machine a lot as well.

I've had a few hours now to really check this blade out and I must say that it's pretty amazing, all the way around.
The attention to detail is fantastic, down to the slightly rounded top edge. I'll be carrying it around the house today, you can barely tell it's in your pocket and the clip sheath is really sweet. Not only is the clip sheath really nice, the fit and finish of the sheath itself is Bentley level quality. This will definitely ride with me during the week. I'm sure as I carry this, I will find more and more to like about it.

Did I say this was amazing?

Dopic1 Dopic1 The Blue denim is really sweet too, thanks for supplying that. It looks just like a dark pair of jeans.

Now that I'm finally pleased with my hand stitching skills I'm going to look into a machine. I know, Boo, Hiss, Booooo, but if it's good enough for Paul Long @sheathmaker, then it's good enough for a schmuck like me;)

I've dabbled in leatherwork (as a hobby and the occasional bespoke order) for a long time and though I am the furthest thing from an expert and am always learning new stuff, I have experience with both machines and hand work. I don't own any machines but I have ready access to a couple - I still prefer to hand stitch though. For as long as it makes sense for me to do so, that method will be my first choice.

The pros with regards to a machine:
  1. Consistency. Once you get the hang of the machine, your stitching will look the same every time and it is awfully hard to mess up.
  2. Drastically cuts down on time and labor. Many will say that the time saved is the single most desirable factor.
  3. Saves your hands from a lot of the wear and tear involved with hand stitching. My leatherworking mentor has had carpal tunnel surgery done on both of his hands. He said moving to machine sewing was a huge life saver.
Pros with hand stitching:
  1. You can always tell the difference between hand stitching and machine sewn. There is a hand crafted look that simply cannot be replicated and when your craft has evolved into excellence, it is hard to want to replace that with the perceived soullessness of machine work.
  2. Hand stitching keeps you sharp and allows one to continue to develop skills and make further discovery with regards to the craft.
  3. On a personal note, I find hand work to be rather therapeutic and quieting - it makes sense to those who know, I guess.
All that to say, John, I find your leatherwork to be absolutely excellent. I would think that should you decide to get a machine, we will all experience that very same excellence that we all have come to expect from you. Ultimately, you have to do what makes sense for you and your craft.

John, as I sat down eating lunch today, I was fondling both my Serrano and my Cowbell. I don't know if I've said it before, but the leather work on both of the sheaths is top notch, up there with the best that I've experienced. :cool:

While simple and understated (certainly not a bad thing!), there is an attention to detail present that would easily be overlooked by someone that didn't know better. I know you think your leather skills are average at best, but I'm here to tell you that you're not giving yourself nearly enough credit. I've gotten far inferior products from dedicated sheathmakers over the years. This Cowbell sheath reminds me a LOT of Dwayne's (Leatherman's) hand-stitched work from back in the day, especially when I compare it to some of the sheaths that I bought from him. You doin' real good! :thumbsup:

(Re-reading this, I realize it sounds like I'm kissing ass. :eek: But I'm not, this is the honest-to-goodness truth. :))

(Re-reading this, I realize it sounds like I'm kissing ass. :eek: But I'm not, this is the honest-to-goodness truth. :))
:rolleyes:
right.png

Sorry Jared, that was way too easy. :p John I'll echo Dylan and Jared's comments, all of your work exudes perfection and superior craftsmanship. The attention to detail is way beyond anyone's expectation. Keep doing what your doing.

:D Don't worry Jared - it feels good - and that's what counts.;)

I've been telling John this since having my Smokestack sheath in hand :thumbsup:

Back