The Cowbell Build Thread

It's starting to develop a nice patina.
asbOgXu.jpg

So much to respond to here, I'll try to hit some of the points. Thanks for the compliments and feedback on the leatherwork. When it comes to a sewing machine, I didnt want to transition one day and have everyone go "Hey wait a minute, is this machine work?" That's something that needs to be known, not because it's a compromise, just a construction change.

Saves your hands from a lot of the wear and tear involved with hand stitching
Another reason I'm leaning towards it is that it seems like an inevitable step because of that very reason. My fingers already cramp up from leatherwork and the heal time is just going to get longer and longer. Kind of like how I used to be able to drink until 2am and then get up at dawn to run 5 miles. Now I need a whole day to recover from a few beers!
On a personal note, I find hand work to be rather therapeutic and quieting - it makes sense to those who know, I guess.
I do as well, it's extremely satisfying. What's counter-therapeutic for me is knowing that one of you guys has a knife that's finished and are waiting a long time for the sheath. I don't like that, it bothers me.
John, as I sat down eating lunch today, I was fondling both my Serrano and my Cowbell.
I hope this isn't being done at a restaurant:eek: Fondle your pepper in private!:D
While simple and understated (certainly not a bad thing!), there is an attention to detail present that would easily be overlooked by someone that didn't know better.
Thanks Jared, that's exactly what I'm going for, simple, effective and with attention to detail. I think detail in clean work is more impressive that intricate tooling.
Sorry Jared, that was way too easy. :p
Some jokes write themselves!:D
but something tells me there won't be any more denim when it comes around again:oops:
I think you'll be in good shape, Scott sent 2 large pieces and they're thick enough to rip in half to make a set.
It's starting to develop a nice patina.
asbOgXu.jpg
Ooh dat's nice! Looks like a quick strop sharpens things back up?

I do as well, it's extremely satisfying. What's counter-therapeutic for me is knowing that one of you guys has a knife that's finished and are waiting a long time for the sheath. I don't like that, it bothers me.

Can't speak for others, and I know it's only one factor, but I have no problem waiting for an awesome sheath for an awesome knife. But also realize that as the volume goes up, something's gotta give, so if a machine makes your life easier then go for it!:thumbsup:

Hey, I apparently didn’t read through all the posts thoroughly enough to realize that the denim isn’t a new stock material. If it’s in short supply I’m happy to go with something else. Seriously not a problem. I don’t think I’ve seen a color I didn’t like.

I hope this isn't being done at a restaurant:eek: Fondle your pepper in private!:D
Only in private, I'm not an animal... :eek: :p

Thanks Jared, that's exactly what I'm going for, simple, effective and with attention to detail. I think detail in clean work is more impressive that intricate tooling.
You're welcome John. I couldn't agree more. :)

Yeah, expected some razzing from that. Oh well. :shrug:

Can't speak for others, and I know it's only one factor, but I have no problem waiting for an awesome sheath for an awesome knife. But also realize that as the volume goes up, something's gotta give, so if a machine makes your life easier then go for it!:thumbsup:
Agreed.

Hey, I apparently didn’t read through all the posts thoroughly enough to realize that the denim isn’t a new stock material. If it’s in short supply I’m happy to go with something else. Seriously not a problem. I don’t think I’ve seen a color I didn’t like.
Denim is definitely in the line up and I have plenty Embry, no worries:thumbsup:

So much to respond to here, I'll try to hit some of the points. Thanks for the compliments and feedback on the leatherwork. When it comes to a sewing machine, I didnt want to transition one day and have everyone go "Hey wait a minute, is this machine work?" That's something that needs to be known, not because it's a compromise, just a construction change.

Another reason I'm leaning towards it is that it seems like an inevitable step because of that very reason. My fingers already cramp up from leatherwork and the heal time is just going to get longer and longer. Kind of like how I used to be able to drink until 2am and then get up at dawn to run 5 miles. Now I need a whole day to recover from a few beers!

I think you'll be in good shape, Scott sent 2 large pieces and they're thick enough to rip in half to make a set.

Ooh dat's nice! Looks like a quick strop sharpens things back up?
Yep, I just hit it on the flannel wheel with some compound and shaving sharp again.

If there isn't enough I know where I can get more.;)

Definitely want to get another one with the Pocket sheath and clip like @greatscoot has, but something tells me there won't be any more denim when it comes around again:oops:

Oh, and SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak , reading your post, just sounds like you like to fondle things!:eek::D

John how thick do the scales need to be?
I’m try to find some rag Micarta

Went camping for 5 days to celebrate the 4th! :D Weather was perfect! Wore my Cowbell the entire trip, crossdraw. Great little knife for EDC, I'm very happy with it.

Coffee the first morning.
IMG_5743.jpg

Cowbell actually makes a really nice bird/trout knife. My son cleaning a few we caught with it:
IMG_5744.jpg

Those look nice. Are you planning a Pocket Camp Knife build at some point? o_O

Peter Piper piggybacked a peck of pickled pockets?

I'll be getting the Camper handles epoxied and shaped with this pair of Cowbells.

Back