The Cowbell Build Thread

That's a great question Ray! I'm looking forward to the answers myself. If they lean more towards yes, I'm going to have to do some hard thinking.

Well Jared we have one answer. Can we trust him :rolleyes: :D

Anyone else care to confirm or deny? Pocket clip on the sheath just like carrying any other pocket clip folder? That would be way excellent. :thumbsup:

Well Jared we have one answer. Can we trust him :rolleyes: :D

Anyone else care to confirm or deny? Pocket clip on the sheath just like carrying any other pocket clip folder? That would be way excellent. :thumbsup:
lol, right? :p I'll wait through the weekend before bribing John to make me a pocket sheath. ;)

It carries really well in the front pocket, although now that the weather is cooling off, I am carrying it in my back right pocket. Typically my shirt of sweatshirt will cover it up (people around here don't get it).

I read an interesting article in a back issue of USCCA's Concealed Carry magazine today that was geared more towards strong side firearms carry for CCW holders; the gist of the article was to carry an offside fixed blade (or waved folder), as a defensive tool to ward off potential assailants that may be reaching for your firearm as you draw it. They'll likely be reaching in with their left hand (statistically speaking), while throwing a blow of sorts with their right. The idea is to protect your face and head if possible, as needed, with your left, or offside hand, while using your strong hand (if not still on your firearm) to grasp their left arm above the elbow and push it off and away - where the knife comes into play is it being drawn with your weak hand, then used to stab and/or cut the arm that's reaching for your gun. A good article, and affirmation of the way I carry my Cowbell. :thumbsup:

Redmeadow ripcord.jpg

That's the big reason why I always carry a fixed blade weakside crossdraw. Things are always in the same place regardless of what I'm carrying, my muscle memory knows where to go for a knife and where to go for a handgun. I can also draw easily with my weak hand without contorting.

For someone that doesn't conceal carry, I still think crossdraw is best for a knife. You can draw and re-sheath while sitting or crouching and not have to chicken wing your arm trying to find the right angle for your sheath.

The only time I differ is when I open carry in bear country but that's a whole other story.

Been a little over a month now with this great little knife! I don't carry it every day, but most days. For me, I've been dropping it in the left front pocket in the sheath and it rides well there. Definitely a great snack knife :D

Thanks again, John!

hAbCxow.jpg

fB9IfYE.jpg

I’ve never carried weakside crossdraw but after reading both your post it makes sense. I live in a suburb/rural area and feel safe but since I’m getting up there in age I’m more alert in parking lots. I think I’m going to make me a new sheath. Thanks guys.

I’ve never carried weakside crossdraw but after reading both your post it makes sense. I live in a suburb/rural area and feel safe but since I’m getting up there in age I’m more alert in parking lots. I think I’m going to make me a new sheath. Thanks guys.

It's worth a try, especially for concealed carry.

And especially if you already have a firearm on the strong side! :thumbsup:

Waterjets blanks are in for the Cowbells, when the current Dibs are completed, I'll open up for new Dibs and add one blade design.

This shape allows for everything from the original Drop point, to a spear, a Zulu, or a wharncliffe.

Eventually I'd like to have each one as an option, but because each one causes me to design a new sheath, we'll add one at a time. So the question is, which design is next? I'll set up a poll at the top of the page.
20201222_143030-01.jpeg

Waterjets blanks are in for the Cowbells, when the current Dibs are completed, I'll open up for new Dibs and add one blade design.

This shape allows for everything from the original Drop point, to a spear, a Zulu, or a wharncliffe.

Eventually I'd like to have each one as an option, but because each one causes me to design a new sheath, we'll add one at a time. So the question is, which design is next? I'll set up a poll at the top of the page.
View attachment 1478144

Could you come up with a single sheath design that works either way, to make things simpler? Something with the end squared off so it doesn't matter which blade shape?

Could you come up with a single sheath design that works either way, to make things simpler? Something with the end squared off so it doesn't matter which blade shape?
I probably could come up with a universal design, but I would probably have to compromise some fit somewhere. Once I get the design worked up for each one, it'll just be a matter of choosing a sheath template.

Not even sure what Zulu looks like:oops:, but Spear is my typical go to
A bit of a spear/wharncliffe hybrid would be the easiest way to explain it.

Try a Google Image search with "zulu slipjoint". That should help out

Back