The Cowbell Build Thread

I agree with the fellas, in my mind these are 100% custom. Built by one craftsman to the specs of every person, including blade shape, materials, carry, etc. You can't get much more custom than that besides sending in a drawing to be made. Great work as always on these and beautiful picks fellas.

That will also allow me to add more things to the line up like Operation Stacked Leather which I am pumped about. More on that later.

How about Aces and Eights? Will that find a place back in the hopper too? ;)

Good to see you back, John - sorry I missed your glorious return.

Would you call these Semi-Customs? Lefties, righties, Belts, Clips, Drops, Wharns, this model is shaping up to have a pretty good amount of options. Definitely not Customs, but more than your average click and ship. What do you guys think?
View attachment 1641283

Great group John. I agree with pease pease , Scott Hanson Scott Hanson , & Texoma Texoma that these qualify as customs given all the variations in blade shapes, handle materials, and sheath options. I can’t remember if these are the first Wharncliffs or not. I know this is the first spearpoint. All that adds custom sheath patterns on your part. Definitely a custom group in my mind.

We are lucky that you still take custom requests. A lot of knife makers quit taking unique orders once they get established with a broader customer base.

That is beautiful. Interesting grain orientation on the handle. I suppose it is as strong this way as a more conventional grain orientation?

I don’t think any strength or durability is sacrificed on these handles because all in this group are some type of custom micarta. The hardened resin is what provides the strength no matter the orientation. Edge cut micartas continue to gain in popularity for the aesthetics. If micarta strength depended on the substrate material for durability, why would anyone use paper micarta? Maybe on a heavy use chopper you could make the case that the substrate makes a difference, but on a small knife like these Cowbells, its all about aesthetic preference.

Phil

Glad I'm not the only one still yearning for one of those beauties...

Your hands and spirit are fully on each one of them - options or not. That elevates them above any kind of "semi".
IMHO - agreed upon, it seems, by others ;) - these are full customs and I thank you.:thumbsup:

That is beautiful. Interesting grain orientation on the handle. I suppose it is as strong this way as a more conventional grain orientation?
It Gcarta so I dont think it matters what was the pattern is.

I've done a handful of snap tests with cross canvas micarta 1/8" thick, and it snaps, whereas regular grain alignment bends much further before doing so. Not "scientific", I might add.

I think Phil pretty much nailed it below.
I don’t think any strength or durability is sacrificed on these handles because all in this group are some type of custom micarta. The hardened resin is what provides the strength no matter the orientation. Edge cut micartas continue to gain in popularity for the aesthetics. If micarta strength depended on the substrate material for durability, why would anyone use paper micarta? Maybe on a heavy use chopper you could make the case that the substrate makes a difference, but on a small knife like these Cowbells, its all about aesthetic preference.

Phil

Appreciate the responses on the Custom question guys. I guess these do lean heavily towards being Customs.

Speaking of which, these four are packed up in entirely new packaging and will head out in the morning. I'm very interested in what you guys think about it.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with anyone's work. I had gone a little click crazy on new posts tonight, and immediately in the pic noticed the grain and commented, before realizing I was out of my usual threads. For some reason my mind went "GKD" before I realized embarrassingly recently that it looks like I popped in out of nowhere to knock down someone's work.

The pics I am seeing are of work that I would be proud to achieve, and hopefully my intent from the outset is now clear. Good evening.

Glad I'm not the only one still yearning for one of those beauties...

That makes 3 of us, I've gotta get back on those, let's do eeet!

Tracking numbers sent on this group. Argh I've gotta get a Newsletter out! I'll give a heads up, it'll be tomorrow at the earliest.

^ Really cool looking package John. I wish California didn’t make pocket carry of fixed blades illegal. Those pocket clip sheaths are just so handy for small knives.

Phil

^ Really cool looking package John. I wish California didn’t make pocket carry of fixed blades illegal. Those pocket clip sheaths are just so handy for small knives.

Phil
Here in North Carolina it's illegal to conceal carry a fixed blade too. But per law it states concealing a pocket knife is fine as long as the clip is visible. Well NC this bad boy has a clip therefore is a pocket knife 😂. In all seriousness though knife laws are stupid.

Back