Pocket compass

The reluctance to name the maker suggests that it's likely a Chinese knock-off of a UK-made compass. I'll do a Google search and come up with the name of the real article. eBay is full of the knock-offs.

ed: Dalvey

Beware of knockoff's. Myself, I'd order direct from Dalvey if I was spending that kind of money.

After following Thomason's link and taking a look at the actual Dalvey compasses, it appears that the compass in kodiak's link might be a genuine Dalvey.

The Dalvey compass that appears to match the one in kodiak's link is the Dalvey Large Classic Voyager Pocket Compass, priced on the Dalvey web site for $72.

kodiak, I'd go through the Dalvey site in order to get your compass. You won't have to worry about getting a knock-off copy, and, you'll save yourself $8, to boot!

GeoThorn

Thanks alot guys. I appreciate the input. I definetly will go thruogh the Dalvey site to purchase it. Good find. Thanks agian.:D

Helpful replies. The beauty of this forum's members: logical and reasoned content.

However, no answer to kodiak's question: How good is the compass in the handsome and robust looking Dalvey case?

Wouldn't the stainless steel interfere with accuracy of the magnetic needle? How well does the clasp, opening and closing mechanism, do its job (is it substantial or will it fail upon repetitive usage?). Should you fall while the compass is in your pocket will the compass survive intact?

Or, is this a Groomsman's gift fit only for the pocket of a plaid vest and nostalgia for a wedding day?

They sure look sweet to me.

All the best,

oregon

Very nice looking compass.

I think it would make a great gift for the "man who has everything" and is an outdoorsman as well, especially with some meaningful engraving, e.g. graduation, military commission, boot camp, pilot's licence etc.

Probably workable as a "real" compass, but much better as a memento of something significant in a man's (or boy's) life.

Would look great on the end of a heavy silver chain in the fob pocket of a leather "John Wayne" vest.

The compass, in the lighter pictured, looks good when you zoom in on it. I wonder if the lighter's metal components might interfere with the clean operation of the compass.

I kept a small compass on the handlebars of by 1979 R100T BMW motorcycle (AKA Rubber Cow). While moving the needle spun around with great velocity. When stopped it pointed true despite being clamped around steel handlebars.

I have a Dalvey compass (Diameter is 2 3/8 inches is is 3/4 thick and weights 3.3 oz.) inbound and I'll post my impressions when it arrives. Kodiak are you still here?

All the best,

oregon

Stainless steel is non-magnetic.

Chad

If I remember correctly from my metalurgy classes stainless can be either. Martensitic stainless has more iron and carbon and is usually magnetic. Austenitic stainless has more chromium and nickel and isn't magnetic.

KR

I think kr1 must be right. I have a SS milsurp canteen cup that won't hold a magnet and I have a SS knife in hand at this moment with a magnet sticking to it. Something about temperature.

I think kr1 must be right. I have a SS milsurp canteen cup that won't hold a magnet and I have a SS knife in hand at this moment with a magnet sticking to it. Something about temperature.

You are correct that usually knifes will be magnetic because they are more likely to have the higher carbon and iron content because people want them to be tougher and hold an edge. And the cooling process is involved also, I believe.

KR

I'm pretty sure that 400 series stainless is magnetic and 300 series stainless is not.

Back