Pocket knife repair and restoration

Camco asked me to post some pictures for him in order to start a thread on the subject of pocket knives repair and their parts.
Below are pictures of a Camillus 1960 MIL-K with no snap in the springs as you can see from the first pic. I sent it off to Camco and now she’s better than new.

Before
IMG_0028.jpg

After
IMAG0733.jpg

In the next post to this thread I’ll be posting the pictures that Camco sent me showing the steps he took restoring/repairing this knife.

OK so now here come the pics from the shop. Camco will be adding his comments and descriptions to these pictures to show us the process he goes thru to repair this knife. So bare with us as we build this thread.

First of all let me introduce you all to Arlyss. He’s the shop foreman. He maybe smiling in this picture but I don’t think he’ll stand for any foolishness so behave.:D

IMAG0743.jpg

IMAG0774.jpg

IMAG0773.jpg

IMAG0769.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

IMAG0765.jpg

The last set of pics.

IMAG0738.jpg

IMAG0737.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

IMAG0732.jpg

Camco I'm sure these aren't exactly in the order you would like them to be hopefully this works out the way you want.

The MIL-K is one of my all-time favorite knives. I'd love to be able to replace backsprings on a couple of mine. I have good backsprings from parts knives.

I even have a shop foreman to assist.

shopforeman.jpg

This thread came up just in time. The spring for the screwdriver/can opener on my Mil-K broke. One piece is hanging from the center pin and I lost the other end. I thought about hand filing making my own spring using the remaining piece as a pattern. Is that spring the same shape on either end? What kind steel are the springs and pins made of? Worst case I guess I could buy a parts knife. I wonder if the new ones by Ontario will interchange parts. Thanks

Good job Sac Troop - I just repaired an Elk Cutlery pocket knife. An epic adventure because it was in pieces with one broken blade

2014-09-04 07.52.45.jpg

2014-09-04 07.52.32.jpg

I'm looking for a shop foreman.

Back