Pocket knife saw blade vs serrated blade

Hello I am hoping to get a little info on the differences in a saw blade on a pocket knife vs a serrated blade on a pocket knife? I see there are enough articles online about the differences/benefits of a plain edge vs a serrated, but not saw vs serrated. Also, I am not asking about a saw back on a larger knife compared to a serrated edge even up to a large knife length, rather a 3-3.5in pocket knife edge. Thank you for your help.

The difference is a saw is a saw and a knife is a knife. You can't saw your way through a plank of wood with a knife, serrated or not serrated. A saw has staggered teeth, which enables it to cut a gash in the wood which is wide enough for the rest of the blade to pass through it without getting stuck. You can't do that with a knife.

Last edited:
The saw is for items difficult or impossible to cut with a knife. Wood, plastics/polymers, some types of cardboard, etc. You wouldn't use the saw for most every day tasks, it's not a general tool and does not replace a knife blade. A serrated blade is a replacement for plain edge blade, it offers more capabilities for some general cutting tasks but has less capability in others. Saw blades are difficult to sharpen for the end user, even with tools. Serrated blades are easy with the right tools.

In my experience serrations is only good for rope, other fibrous materials, and frozen fish lol. 99% everything else can be done with a straightedge.

A saw is pretty dedicated to cutting wood or dense wood-boardsy stuff. The pocket knife ones are usually only good for super skinny branches, most of which can be cut or snapped traditionally anyway.

My thoughts. I carry a SAK explorer + most days over the huntsman, which has a saw.

Depends on job
for plasics like pvc pipes I prefer a serrated blade but for wood like cutting branches I prefer a folding saw from LM or SAK

Good quality , properly sharpened serrations will slice fairly cleanly and will cut through but not remove material .

Saws have teeth that work by shaving off bits of wood (for example) thus you have some sawdust or other debris created .

Serrations are great for tough fibrous flexible rope , vines ,etc . Can cut through faster and easier in an emergency .

The right saw can cut through most common material , with enough time and effort . Longer saw is much more efficient .

The wood saw on this SAK Rangergrip is 4" and works pretty good on small branches :

Last edited:
Depends on job
for plasics like pvc pipes I prefer a serrated blade but for wood like cutting branches I prefer a folding saw from LM or SAK
I've used a serrated knife to cut pvc pipe in lieu of a hacksaw and it worked well. Better than a wood saw would have IMO and definitely better than a straight edge.

I have used several small saws both fixed and folding in various teeth grades made by Silky. which is owned by MUCUSTA a Seki knife maker. I would strongly recommend this brand.
R4nfSp.jpg
89G8az.jpg

Last edited:
I've used a serrated knife to cut pvc pipe in lieu of a hacksaw and it worked well. Better than a wood saw would have IMO and definitely better than a straight edge.
Agree
I find it cuts cleaner

Often use my sc ladybud or matriarch se for that

I have used several small saws both fixed and folding in various teeth grades made by Silky. which is owned by MUCUSTA a Seki knife maker. I would strongly recommend this brand.
R4nfSp.jpg
89G8az.jpg

Silky makes the best hand saws, folding n non, for tree branches \wood. Gotta luv the cut on the pull stroke!!!!!!
Nice hardened teeth on em too!!!

Serrations, by design, create a cutting motion without the motion. The scallops are the key. Thats why serrations like emersons and spyderco work better that say cold steels. The little point you see cause the snagging and ripping affect.
In my experience serrations buzz through rope and small pinky size branches on a tree/bush very well. Once you take those serrations to thicker wood material or dead wood it’s game over, stalemate. That’s where saw teeth shine.

Damnit, you guys are making me REALLY want that matriarch now...

Frickin enablers 😩

Back