Pocket knife with the best Damascus steel

I was wondering what the options are? Main concern would be edge retention and corrosion resistance. I figured I would lean more towards stainless over carbon. I have examples from Civivi and Chris Reeve (both Devin Thomas and Chad Nichols). Does anyone use any of the super steels in Damascus? I am just curious to see what other makers offer a good usable Damascus.

Thank You

I don’t own any but Benchmade’s Damasteel is really nice and according to their site, it holds an edge similar to 440c.

I know custom maker Alan Davis uses many different types of damascus, but you are looking at a pretty penny for one of those. He may even have damascus from super steel.

Speaking of Civivi's damascus, I'm impressed.

Went home from work sick today, about an hour ago that tomorrow's garbage day, and had a bunch of weird shaped cardboard boxes to cut up, couldn't just cut the tape, they wouldn't fit in the recycler.

Having been laying in bed the afternoon, I had already put away my domino and only had my pajama/gym short carry McKenna on me. Didn't realize until I got to the garage. Was considering going all the way back upstairs, and just decided to try the little guy. Zipped right through 8 pieces of cardboard with no noticable decrease in sharpness or damage to the edge. It gets an A+ from me.

It may be based in 9cr, but it surprised me.

The benchmade looks nice I'll have to look more into those.

I love spyderco but I am not to sure about the damascus and a core steel. I'd juts stick with vg10. It's kinda of why I never got a mcusta.

Wow Alan Davis's work is beautiful. I'll keep an eye on his site. I have the McKenna too and am also very impressed.

Nichols XHP core Damascus by Jason Clark.

dHUHv3M.jpg

If you can find a knife in it, Damacore DC18N would probably fit the bill. Core uses a Vanax analog and would be pretty good for wear resistance and excellent for corrosion resistant.

Glenn Goodlett Glenn Goodlett Good call on the Nichols XHP Core.

Gonna have to see if the mad lad will make a CPM-MagnaCut core knife. I'm gonna need that.

Damascus steel can be very pretty, but I doubt it can equal today's powder steels,or plain old high carbon steel for that matter.

Damasteel uses powder metallurgy technology, and it’s edge retention sits between 12c27 and CPM-154.

The VG10 Damascus performs good and is very stain resistant. Holds an edge "ok". The SG2 is better, but for whatever reason I find them a little harder to sharpen.

Civivi damascus is from 9cr and offers middle of the road performance as well, I often pick it over D2 as a stainless option. Artisan uses a VG10 raindrop Damascus as well and they're very pretty.

Southern Grind makes their spider monkey model in Rose Damasteel. You can get copper scales or carbon fiber!!! Personally I think Damasteel is the best looking " Damascus " out there!! Damacore is gorgeous too!!!

Wow I did some research I heard of the core blade before like spyderco and a few chefs knives. I never heard of the powder process. I guess I am a traditionalist I prefer the fold over method. I might look more into the powder ones.

I always wanted a 'Damascus' knife. What most are doing now is actually pattern welding, generically called Damascus.
Once I got over that, doing my research, I decided on Damasteel.

IMG_0469.jpg

Other folks out there are doing outstanding work with pattern welding.
I appreciated the aesthetics of Damasteel/Damacore; the way the etching takes to polish compared to other pattern welded blades (hard to tell in pics but the blade is mirror polished).
YMMV

I crave a damascus blade, I'll itch that itch one day. My other dozen or 2 blades say I don't need another one... maybe I'll sell a few down the line...

CRK always has nice damascus!

I know you didn't want carbon but also give Frank Edwards a look for more traditional styling.

Back