Pocket knives at school for work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Libertarian rant against slippery-slope concessions of personal liberties in the nanny state in 3, 2, 1, ...

[not directed at you Carl, by any means. raging agreement with your post!]

It's not my house I was referring to. It's a friend's house that I was talking to as this thread was progressing

That is not what you said. I'll quote it again:

I have an idea. I've got a friend who lives about 10 minutes away from the school on foot who is willing to let me park my car there during the school day. I've also got a bike that can fit in my car. I'll just park there, ride the bike to school, ride it back to my car and go home. The school has no authority off school property. I could tell every single person in the school that I have a knife in my car and when called out for my car to be searched, I'll tell them the truth. They can't do $**T about it then. Nowhere does it say that I can't have a knife OFF of school property

You say you will go home after you get to your car at your friends house. Leave the knife at your home since you say you will go there after you get back to your car. You also say you will go to a movie if the cops try to search your car. A movie and your house are not where you work right? You have said over and over again that you have to go directly to work from school However, you have completely contradicted yourself in other posts. How are people supposed to help you if your story keeps changing?

And some of the "helps" are really ill-advised (hiding in the glove box???). School has a zero tolerance policy with knives, so you simply do not bring one with you (in your car, in your pocket, or in your stomach) to school. Ask your boss so that you can store your knife safely in your work place. I mean it is a knife not an elephant, right? If your boss can't help but your work does require the use of a knife, maybe it is time to find another job.

That is not what you said. I'll quote it again:

You say you will go home after you get to your car at your friends house. Leave the knife at your home since you say you will go there after you get back to your car. You also say you will go to a movie if the cops try to search your car. A movie and your house are not where you work right? You have said over and over again that you have to go directly to work from school However, you have completely contradicted yourself in other posts. How are people supposed to help you if your story keeps changing?

I missed something as I was typing. I'm not going to work every single day. Working 5 days a week plus weekends would make for a whole lot of overtime. Some days, I would end up going home after school. Do you know a person who works 7 days a week at a single job that doesn't own the business?

I missed something as I was typing. I'm not going to work every single day. Working 5 days a week plus weekends would make for a whole lot of overtime. Some days, I would end up going home after school. Do you know a person who works 7 days a week at a single job that doesn't own the business?

Absolutely.

Lots of people work 7 days a week 10-14 hrs a day. Not uncommon at all from what I've seen. I get the sense that you really just want to brag to your friends that you have a knife in you're car. If a knife is required for your tasks at work, them I'm 100% sure that the employer would work something out for you to where you would not have to break any laws. You keep dodging that suggestion, so I just assume that you have no interest in finding the best solution.

I can't just drop out since I'm planning on going Coast Guard after high school and they want that diploma. I recently learned something cool about my car in specific though. With a bit of effort and a screwdriver, I can detach the inside panel and get to the area behind my brake lights. It wouldn't be able to ride there, but I keep my backpack in the trunk when I drive so when I'm grabbing it, drop the knife behind the light and slip it in my pocket after school. Maybe not the best idea but it could work

Seems like someone who would go to such great lengths to get around rules is going to have an even more difficult time in the Coast Guard.

Ultimately, either in school or the USCG, rules are rules and authority is authority. You wanna risk breaking the rules and trying and get away with it, that's certainly your call.

But the reality is that nobody, at any age, gets to do whatever they want....particularly in the Armed Services.

Wasn't it "clips on hips sink ships"?

No. I was referring to the old WW2 saying...."Loose lips sink ships". Being in that to keep your mouth shut. You don't want any sensitive information getting out so that the enemy can use it against you. Like this kid. Wont take long for it to spread around school that he carries a blade.

Yikes. I'm going to say theres some overthinking going on here. Straight line. Use a knife from workplace.

Stick with the almighty SAK. Call it a day. The 3.25. In SAK Sentinel is a measly $25. Its one of those knives every knife aficionado should have. Instant good guy.

Yikes. I'm going to say theres some overthinking going on here. Straight line. Use a knife from workplace.

Stick with the almighty SAK. Call it a day. The 3.25. In SAK Sentinel is a measly $25. Its one of those knives every knife aficionado should have. Instant good guy.

Mine is a Super Tinker

The responsible internet advice is this: If your school says no to knives, don't take the knives to school.

But do whatever you want...it's a free country...sorta...

I don't understand what advice you're seeking.
You know the laws governing the school you attend. If you chose to ignore/break those laws concerning knives, there is no one to blame but yourself. Why would you even consider a gamble that could affect your future ????
If you don't have time to swing by the house and get the tools you like to use for your job, then the most logical thing to do is to talk to your employer about furnishing a tool for your work or see if they have lockers of some sort to store your stuff in.
The key is to get your work done, not necessarily which tool you would like to do the job with.
It really is a common sense decision.

^^these guys speak sensibly.

ostanley, you have not once even mentioned whether you have a spot at work to keep a knife, while everybody who's making smart suggestions are suggesting just that.

I worked and went to school for the last 7 years, and all my jobs were warehouse jobs. I went from work to school and back to work, yet I never once got in trouble with school for having a knife on the premises. How, you may ask? Simple: I kept my blades at work. I have a boxcutter at work at all times, in my locker or on my desk, just like everybody else at work. If I want to use an actual knife (I have a few) I just bring it to work and leave it there while I'm at school.

You're pushing the limit way too far trying to get away with having knives anywhere near school, the only reasonable solution is to keep your knives at work or ask your boss for a work knife that stays at work and leave your knives at home. I know you want to carry knives, but sometimes it's just not a good idea to do so.

I do not need a knife for coast guard boot camp. I do however need one at work. And from what I've read, they issue a set of straight razors(utility knives) to you when you get there

That was really your takeaway from Jackknife's excellent (and on point) post? Ohhhhkay, then. Backing away now.

I think we'll be hearing about this kid on the news.

That was really your takeaway from Jackknife's excellent (and on point) post? Ohhhhkay, then. Backing away now.

I think we'll be hearing about this kid on the news.

A kid who has admittedly stabbed his sister wants to get around the rule of having a knife at school but won't listen to even a bit of logical advice? What could go wrong......

I can only say what I would do. I can't say this is the right or wrong thing, but it's what I would do. I would get my self a toolbag and put it in the trunk of the car. Then I world put some tools that you may (or may not) need during work. When you are at school be sure to put your *tool* (yes I mean knife) in the bag too. I can't see how you could get into trouble for carrying *tools* for work. After all you could do way more damage with a tire iron than a SAK.

I remember hearing a lawyer tell someone once. If you are going to keep a baseball bat in your car, do yourself a favor and put a baseball and glove in there with it.

I can only say what I would do. I can't say this is the right or wrong thing, but it's what I would do. I would get my self a toolbag and put it in the trunk of the car. Then I world put some tools that you may (or may not) need during work. When you are at school be sure to put your *tool* (yes I mean knife) in the bag too. I can't see how you could get into trouble for carrying *tools* for work. After all you could do way more damage with a tire iron than a SAK.

I remember hearing a lawyer tell someone once. If you are going to keep a baseball bat in your car, do yourself a favor and put a baseball and glove in there with it.

That's very logical, but "zero tolerance" policies aren't about logic. They are about the letter of the law. If the rule is "no knives on school grounds", then he may have no knives on school grounds.

OP, any thoughts about keeping a work knife at work?

Does anyone here keep a knife in their car or is it just me? I always have a Buck 119 special within my reach when I'm driving.

Just put the SAK next to the 119. I don't think anyone would care about it or even notice it, then.

A kid who has admittedly stabbed his sister wants to get around the rule of having a knife at school but won't listen to even a bit of logical advice? What could go wrong......

This ^^^^^^^^

Seems like someone who would go to such great lengths to get around rules is going to have an even more difficult time in the Coast Guard.

Ultimately, either in school or the USCG, rules are rules and authority is authority. You wanna risk breaking the rules and trying and get away with it, that's certainly your call.

But the reality is that nobody, at any age, gets to do whatever they want....particularly in the Armed Services.

I think a lot of the wiggling to get around the rules was essentially proposed by people here. How many kids do you know that don't try to get around some rules now and then? I said this earlier, but I didn't realize that you sign a release form to have your car or person searched as part of the system. I would keep the car at the friends house or simply have someone at work store it for you. Hopefully you can trust them for that. I doubt talking to the principal will get you any special permissions other than place you on their radar if something happens in the future knife related. So, either store the knife off campus, go home and pickup your knife (maybe change clothes too), or keep it at work. I personally don't like the zero tolerance rules at schools, but there is nothing I can do about that. Some colleges/universities have rules as well regarding knife carry by students. GA Tech is one of them as I recall (<2.5" blade I believe).

Life is full of rules and there often are penalties beyond "the law" for breaking them. People get fired all the time for breaking the rules. Often it's an excuse to get rid of someone, but it is about insubordination.

Work places provide/issue utility knives because of insurance reasons primarily if employees need to cut things as part of their job. Whether or not I would want to use one there would depend on what I typically cut. Knowing me, I would want both.

If I drove a car to school, I'd keep it there under the seat or something, just not visible from the outside. What are they going to do? Get a search warrant? Stupid stuff.

High schools in my state do not need a search warrant to search a student's car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back