Recommendation? Pocket prybars?

I've been thinking about EDCing either a small prybar (County Comm Widgy - maybe a 3" titanium one) or a P51/P38 (where would I buy a good one?). Anyone here experience any practical use from EDCing these? Any preferences?

The County Comm ones in steel get the job done just fine without being stupid expensive. Practical, but might not be what someone who is a fan of the $5k Insta pocket dump fad is looking for. :rolleyes:

The County Comm ones in steel get the job done just fine without being stupid expensive. Practical, but might not be what someone who is a fan of the $5k Insta pocket dump fad is looking for. :rolleyes:
Do you have a preferred size?

Do you have a preferred size?

I don't always carry one, but the pico 2" is all I ever carry. I wish it was straight though. Anything bigger is just too much IMO. The 3" straight isn't too bad, but it's too long for pocket carry on any sort of keychain, etc.

I have carried the micro 3" for a few years now on my keychain. I don't think I have actually ever used it. It is nice to have and it is so light that I do not even notice it. I will admit that at work I am always close to my multitool, so I reach for that when I need to pry something.

Working in the paint business, I used to carry one of these:

611Z89uq4mL._SL1500_.jpg

:p

I still have a half dozen around the house and I keep one in the car.

It doesn't look tactical but it will fit in your pocket, pry, open a capped beverage and it costs less than 50¢. They're free if you know where to look. :cool:

Working in the paint business, I used to carry one of these:

611Z89uq4mL._SL1500_.jpg

:p

I still have a half dozen around the house and I keep one in the car.

It doesn't look tactical but it will fit in your pocket, pry, open a capped beverage and it costs less than 50¢. They're free if you know where to look. :cool:

As a retired house painter (20yrs) I can say that the ticket!!!:D
John

What are they called? Where are they to be found?

Paint can opener. They sell them at Home Depot, Ace Hardware and the like. If you go to an automotive paint store or one of the local Sherwin Williams paint stores and ask, they might give you one.

They look a bit long to keep in my pocket but definitely good to have around the house.

I've got one of the smallest widgeys on my keys, a mid size sits in my multi-tool sheath. Depends on what you are doing, as for how useful they are. I can seem them being more handy if you did any sort of building maintenance, and wanted a mini-sized toolkit, but I don't know that I've ever used it when I wasn't at work, expecting to need it. I also don't pocket carry my keys, worth knowing.

Use mine often at work not much else where. I just bought a small pry bar at the hardware store cut it down to the size I wanted and drilled a lanyard hole

If you go to the tool section ar Walmart you'll see a " 2 piece " Dasco pro prybar set that comes with a bonus " 2 inch thumb bar " For $7.
They don't offer it any other way and I think this may be a walmart exclusive that's not even pictured on their website .
This is the bar I have with me at work which I use to pry open stubborn cardboard food cases that I can't get open with gloves on.
This is my recommendation since it's so inexpensive, US made, readily available, and you get two other useful prybars for your toolbox.

I find a small prying tool to be a useful thing, lately as with a full sized multitool only really something I get use out of at work.

image.jpg
I use this almost every day at work. Opening gal paint cans. I've used it the take those little screws out of switch plate and outlet covers. I lost my last one, I'm came to the conclusion fairly quick that I need another. Usually I'll have Bradford guardian 3 carbon fiber on my belt horizontal carry. Have couple pieces of sand paper (120) in onther pocket, a rag in the other back pocket. 5 in 1 tool on my right leg. I use that all the time and sometimes lose it. Front right pocket I.D. Left front pocket my phone. I didn't want to carry much more that's why I like something smaller that's practical on a key chain. I think I got this at sherwin Williams or lowes home improvement.

I've carried pry bar for a while back then but didn't really need it so I left it out to save the bulk. I often carry multitool anyways, so the little pry tasks that I might need can be done with the multitool. I can see the appeal though, and everyone has personal needs.

TISURVIVAL.COM has a key ring pry bar. I have the one with the green clip.
Also like the "pocket wrench II"

Last edited:
Since I started carrying a small Busse fixed blade - a Max Warden, Magnum Bear Cub or SAR3 - I have no use for the "fancy" pry bar I bought. The pry bar wasn't crazy expensive but Busse's warranty covers anything so why carry 2 things when 1 will do the trick?

I also like my Leatherman Surge when I'm working.

"TISURVIVAL.COM has a key ring pry bar. I have the one with the green clip.
Also like the "pocket wrench II"

Thanks for the recommendation! Will keep that in mind.

Back