Pocket sheath

I was asked to make a pocket sheath a while back and didn't really know what I was doing so I thought I'd put up some pics of how I did it.

Big caveat- this is no tutorial! I don't know if this is how they're supposed to be done, it's just what seemed to work for me. I definitely do not like the retention of the clip but I believe I need to either find another source for clips or tighten up the bend of the clip to see if that makes it hold on tighter. As it is when I pull on the knife the sheath comes out with it. Regardless, I think that's just an issue with the clip, the build seems solid.

The knife is a Survive! 2.7, it's a little thing, seems a good fit for pocket carry. Pretty simple pattern obviously, no belt loop to worry about.
OuxSXCS.jpg

This was the first mounting piece I made. I added about 3/8" around the outline of the clip and that was obviously way too much.
k7xFYll.jpg

Here's the sheath and trimmed down mounting piece tooled and dyed with some Eco-Flo antique gel. The stamping is going to be pretty well covered up and there wasn't much point to it but what the heck, I hadn't done much stamping for a while.
OkXtPnC.jpg

All the pieces dyed and ready to go together.
sCV35b7.jpg

Whoops. I spent a bunch of time making sure the mounting hole and rivet hole were centered on the mounting piece but the rivet hole is noticeably wider than the rivet so when I set it the rivet "floated" and isn't so centered now. Jerk rivet anyways.
xw6YnOr.jpg

I marked a line about 1/2" from the center of the sheath.
YTXVR8a.jpg

Then scribed around the mounting piece with an awl.
0uDGZDX.jpg

And scuffed it up good.
uv8Ch35.jpg

I narrowed the mounting piece a bit too much and bounced off the clip when I was marking my stitch holes.
GSzZTxm.jpg

There's going to be quite a bit of stitching on the inside of this sheath so I made pretty deep groove marks where the stitching will go in.
rcX9AG7.jpg

Ready to glue up.
ua1kPUy.jpg

After the barge set for about 15 minutes I cemented the two together and clamped it together for about an hour then sewed it up.
Pvsjk64.jpg

The rest of it's all pretty straightforward like a regular pouch sheath.
ZyILhz1.jpg

Zvsberh.jpg

IcU07Jo.jpg

PPoLyI8.jpg

Here it is after a couple coats of Tan-Kote were sprayed on (my first time using Tan-Kote in a spray bottle, I cut it to about 50% with water, seemed to go on pretty smooth) and a coat of Montana Pitch Blend was buffed in.
8CQwAji.jpg

m1tq8Q6.jpg

With a couple companion knives and sheathes, a Carothers Performance Knives Field Knife and another Survive!, their 5.1.
gfaqiQi.jpg

So there you have it. What may or may not be the right way to put together a pocket sheath with a clip. The clip I used came from a knifemaking supply site but looks about the same size as the ones Tandy sells, I'll probably try mashing it tighter and if that doesn't do the trick I'll look around and see what I can find elsewhere.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, or recommendations on different ways to put one of these together I'd love to hear them. Thanks for taking a look.

I had a package arrive from Paul Long (sheathmaker) on Saturday, these sheaths have much better retention. I didn't do anything fancy with these, just wanted to see how they'd function. The retention is much better on these clips yet they're slimmer, a win on both accounts. Here's another for a Survive! 2.7.

uWMu8jA.jpg

And one for a Carothers Performance Knives EDC.

6c1d0V6.jpg

The three pocket sheaths together.

v0INeXS.jpg

Finished this sheath as well while I was working on the others.

xrUIuFH.jpg

Thank you very much Paul.

Back