Pocket slips. What do you think?

I tried a slip a few times. I didn’t care for the extra bulk. One big plus for me with traditionals is the lack of bulk.

My watch pocket is the slip with jeans. I believe that’s what that pocket was meant for (whether Mr Levi knew it or not).

I actually just had one made that holds a gec 66 and a Vic pioneer. Why? Because i carry both everyday and they would bounce all over my front left pocket along with keys change etc. The sheath keeps them upright and accessible without playing pocket pool to get them out. And part of the fun is taking the sheath and pulling the knife appropriate for the task out. Ritualistic even.

I would keep an eye on any knife stored in leather, depending on what the leather was tanned with it can react to some metal like brass. I've had some slight messes to clean up on even some fixed blade/hunting knives.

Dave

Yep. Just found out the hard way on my 20+-year-old Schrade that I finally bought a Schrade sheath for...

For me they're good on paper, but they make knives a bit inconvenient and my folders aren't nice enough to need them.
If I had a real nice folder I might be tempted to stick with them.

You mean like the effect leather car seats have on your trousers JP?:D Some people used to cover those with horrid seat-covers including faux Leopard:eek:

Seriously, pocket sheathes are OK if they're made of thin nappa type leather, helps stop the knife moving about too much in the pocket. Other, thicker hide pouches/slips/purses;) feel like wearing some damn sandal in your pocket:D see no point in that kind...

You mean like the effect leather car seats have on your trousers JP?:D Some people used to cover those with horrid seat-covers including faux Leopard:eek:

Seriously, pocket sheathes are OK if they're made of thin nappa type leather, helps stop the knife moving about too much in the pocket. Other, thicker hide pouches/slips/purses;) feel like wearing some damn sandal in your pocket:D see no point in that kind...
The only car I had with leather seats was an old Auntie P4, blue seats with a nice hole caused by a broken spring, that made nice holes in my pants as well...:rolleyes:

I have some slips made from goat leather I keep from my GrandPa, they are smooth enough to slip the knife in, yet retain it well, cost nothing and slip gently in the pocket.01.jpg

Always use slips on my slip joints. Only store stainless blades in leather. However, seldom cut anything.

I basically do not care to damage my Stag covered knives. I treat each of them a little more special . But that is just my preference . I have between 35 to 40 Stags but only 1 of them has Steel Liners and Pins so I just want to protect them from Scratches & Verdigris from Brass .

Harry
I find that a slip makes the verdigris problem much worse. The only time I have a problem with brass pins & verdigris, is when I carry or store them in a leather slip.

I've had more then one knife slip out of my pocket. Some I've found, some I haven't. Since I started using a slip I haven't had to worry about it. A pocket slip also helps keep my knife vertical, which I find more comfortable.

I can't remember a time that I didn't have an extra couple of seconds to remove my knife from a slip. In fact I just counted, and if I don't rush it takes 3 seconds for me. If I need something quicker then that I'll use a fixed blade, which I almost always have with me.

I've had more then one knife slip out of my pocket. Some I've found, some I haven't. Since I started using a slip I haven't had to worry about it. A pocket slip also helps keep my knife vertical, which I find more comfortable.

I can't remember a time that I didn't have an extra couple of seconds to remove my knife from a slip. In fact I just counted, and if I don't rush it takes 3 seconds for me. If I need something quicker then that I'll use a fixed blade, which I almost always have with me.

I have a slip sheath for my Ultralight Halfrich Baby Rounder (less than one ounce). I was afraid of it slipping out of my pocket it's so light and thin (and slippery).

- interesting...! Have bunch of keys in rh pocket and cell phone in lh pocket......no room for anything else.

Occasionally I'll carry a small folder in a slip in a jacket, but quite rare. I wear Levis nearly the whole time - loose fitting for work and snugger :eek: for going out - therefore always a leather belt (got a collection o' those too :rolleyes:) and as a consequence usually always carry thus...

IMG_9234.jpg

- interesting...! Have bunch of keys in rh pocket and cell phone in lh pocket......no room for anything else.

Occasionally I'll carry a small folder in a slip in a jacket, but quite rare. I wear Levis nearly the whole time - loose fitting for work and snugger :eek: for going out - therefore always a leather belt (got a collection o' those too :rolleyes:) and as a consequence usually always carry thus...

IMG_9234.jpg
Funny you should post that picture now, Paul. I've got one of MAX CAPDEBARTHES' sheaths sitting in my mailbox right now. I'll go get it in a minute. I recall you mentioning yours somewhere and thought I'd try one.

The only knife I carry in a pocket slip is my 25 year old Bulldog trapper in pearl. It's made of soft felt, not leather, so it stays in there whenever not being used. It's my Sunday knife, and I wanna keep it pristine!

va7FwiO.jpg

Back