Pocket slips. What do you think?

Funny you should post that picture now, Paul. I've got one of MAX CAPDEBARTHES' sheaths sitting in my mailbox right now. I'll go get it in a minute. I recall you mentioning yours somewhere and thought I'd try one.

I use a belt sheath. I don't have the patience for a slip and don't like to pocket carry, pockets have enough in already as it is.

Chui Chui , Paul, You might have thought I was kidding!
Pomsbz Pomsbz , Literally the first time I've used one like this. So far I like it.
E4S8NEk.jpg

T1agqBA.jpg

- perfect, Gary..:thumbsup::thumbsup::D Peregrin Peregrin

Use mine on the opposite side to my cell phone as that's the pocket I'm using the most...

I absolutely hate a knife sitting in the bottom of my front pocket like a rock. So I use a leather pocket slip, hanging into my front pocket from a length of paracord or leather lace. If the knife has delrin covers, I'll use a belt lanyard, and let the knife hang into my back pocket without a slip.

Peregrin Peregrin - sorry, Gary, I think you reminded someone else recently but can't find...........what is that stag slippie again, please.....?

I like a slip for a few reasons because my traditional knives are small.

The slip increases the footprint so it's harder too lose. It also means less wear on the pocket so less chance of a hole eventually that the knife will sneak out of. On my nicer natural covers they give an extra layer of cushion in case I bang into something. And last it can make it easier to fish out of my pocket.

Slips are a great idea, especially if you end up with mean stuff in your slipjoint pocket like screws or a huge wad of keys or something from work. Or dust. I have a sawdust-cursed job and everything gets lots of crud in it every day. Now I like my traditional stuff, but I like it to be smooth and clean, so I looked into pocket slips. I found the square leather jobs to feel like a shoe in the pocket (someone else said sandal, spot on!) and didn't really go for it. Just decided to carry no slippy to work, just a big ol blow thru Zero Tolerance.
Then my dog ate my neoprene fishing glove...
So there I was with one good glove and no mate.. got to eyeballing the tasted glove and how the fingers were mostly exactly knife size. Hell the pinky finger was perfectly peanut sized.. The result was great: tight fitting, round slips with slick insides (flannel or fleece) and the nice sticky neoprene on the outside. Stays put, keeps knives clean, free. Got me right into the slip habit I wanted to be in, plus the glove wasn't even a loss after it was eaten. Win win win. Keep it in mind next time you wear out a set of winter fishi g gloves.

- perfect, Gary..:thumbsup::thumbsup::D Peregrin Peregrin

Use mine on the opposite side to my cell phone as that's the pocket I'm using the most...
Actually that's a mirror image. I put the sheath on my right side. Cellphone in my left pocket.

Peregrin Peregrin - sorry, Gary, I think you reminded someone else recently but can't find...........what is that stag slippie again, please.....?
John Lloyd made it, 4" with CPM-154 blade. It's almost always with me.

I go both ways: I have a handful of working knives, Nieto, Opinel, Douk Douk, a wooden handled GEC, even my user TC Barlow, that go right into the pocket. Many others that I choose to keep looking great go into a slip or coin pocket. Heck, even my biggish Northwoods blue smooth bone Madison Barlow sits nicely in its slip in my dress slacks. (Now, that Barlow sure impresses folks when I pull that one out to carve an apple at lunch. LOL)

And don't forget that leather can also be artistically worked, and develops a patina over time.

I am a big fan of pocket slips. The ones my wife makes for me are very simple but they do the job of keeping my knife where I want it. It takes longer to get my knife out but if that was an issue I wouldn't own a traditional knife, I would own a modern one-handed opening knife. That extra little time is nothing to me. Besides, I like protecting my stag covers.

bBtbZYm.jpg

If you don't like your keys scratching up your pocketknife, consider moving your keys out of you pocket. Clip 'em on your belt loop with a carabiner.

)
)
)

-- Mark

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but does anyone have an opinion on the Sharp Shooter Insider sheathes that are held inside your pocket with a magnetic clip? I was looking at them yesterday for one of my small Arno Bernard fixed blades.

,,,Mike in Canada

Chui Chui , Paul, You might have thought I was kidding!
Pomsbz Pomsbz , Literally the first time I've used one like this. So far I like it.
E4S8NEk.jpg

T1agqBA.jpg
Need to look into these offerings as well. I like that the full flap opens rather than trying to grasp a slender pocket knife to remove it from a leather tube. Also more of a one size fits most solution.

,,,Mike in Canada

I prefer slips both for protection of the knife and protection of my pockets! (When I was a kid it seems like we always had holes in our pockets. My mother would sew new material in the bottom of our pockets for both my father and me. Either pockets have gotten stronger or I've gotten slower. :p)

Regarding corrosion, I think it depends on the type of leather (vegetable tanned v. chrome tanned). I have several home-made slips, some I made probably 20 years ago and some I made this winter. I kept a Schrade Scrimshaw SC505 (carbon steel blades, brass liners) in a vegetable tanned slip continuously for at least 15 years with no ill effects. I once made a small ammo pouch and didn't realize at the time that it was chrome tanned leather. I left some 22LR ammo in it for several months and all the brass corroded.

I use a slip for a few reasons: it keeps the knife upright in my pocket (I hate when a knife sits horizontally!), I’ll sometimes carry a modern clipped to the same pocket (blasphemy!) and I cringe at the thought of them rubbing together, and because I enjoy the character a nice leather slip takes. Different strokes to move the world.

Nice tooling you got there Jason Signalprick Signalprick :thumbsup:
Thank you sir. This is the Proper Slip and really the best that Michael makes. The leather is thin and the quality is top of the line. I have another arriving today for my Case Bose Dogleg. I like the cut top, it makes it very easy to draw the knife.

Back