Pocketable fixed blades

Hey guys, what fixed blades do you like that are pocketable? I think a OAL length of 6 inches or so is about the max for me to fit in my pocket. Also, I tend to be more interested in kydex type sheaths then leather. I've never tried a leather sheath in my pocket but I imagine it would be a bit thick and hot.

Oh, and no Izula recommendations please. :) I already have one of those. I'd rather something with a thinner blade. Other then that the Izula is great.

I carry a Bark River City Knife from time to time. Not everyday, just when I'm in the mood.

IMG_1754.jpg

I know you don't want leather but the City Sheath supplied with the knife is what I use. It keeps the knife at the far edge of my pocket and the sheath is wide enough that it won't tip over. The sheath is not thick at all and the knife/sheath combo slides in and out of my back pocket with the greatest of ease. You can even put credit cards in the sheath but I don't do that with mine.

IMG_1736.jpg

I like the looks of the Bark River Essential too but I don't own one.

Thats a nice City Knife! Bark River makes a bunch of small, pocketable knives. The PSK, the Lil Creek, the Mini Canadian and the Mikro Canadian are all ones that I've owned at one time or another. The Lil Creek and the Mini Canadian being my favorites of the four.

Mini Canadian
DSC01546.jpg

Lil Creek
DSC01543.jpg

PSK (the bottom knife)
DSC01630.jpg

Mikro Canadian
DSC01436.jpg

Though I wasn´t the TO, I asking the same question to myself a couple of times. Bark River has a good reputation here in Germany. Thank you guys for giving the advice. All of theese small EDC fixedblades seem to be great.

Another cargo-pants knife could be a Jagdnicker, which is a traditional bavarian pattern. But for backpocket it´s too big. Cargo-pants carrying on the sidepocket is possible.

IMG_0928.jpg

A bad pic, but an in-hand pic about the size.

IMG_0927.jpg

Kind regards
Andi

Yes, I'd say that Bark River offers a good choice. I have the PSK in micarta in my work-bag as a you never know. This would be fine in the pocket. Micro Slither is another one I have and the Pro-Scalpel II is a useful small knife indeed. Black Water Boot Knife is a kind of gents model but comes with kydex sheath, very elegant knife. Thing about kydex is that you enter a scratch hell zone when using them, it can really mark up a knife quite badly.

BR knives look good, offer immense choice but I'm not altogether convinced by their longevity and robustness of handles. Light use has shown some surprising weaknesses with mine so I'm no longer so struck on them. Micarta and wood handled models showed warp and peel back and I'm careful with knives. Yes, I know about the warranty, tried it and the results were less than stellar... However, perhaps my experience has been unique.

Thanks for the comments, Will. I haven't had mine long enough or used it enough to experience any of those weaknesses but I will certainly keep a watch out for them. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, I like that. That's the kind of wallet that I carry anyways, real minimal. Then I wouldn't have another piece of gear, I'd just swap out my wallet. The knife looks great too.

I carry a Bark River City Knife from time to time. Not everyday, just when I'm in the mood.

IMG_1754.jpg

I know you don't want leather but the City Sheath supplied with the knife is what I use. It keeps the knife at the far edge of my pocket and the sheath is wide enough that it won't tip over. The sheath is not thick at all and the knife/sheath combo slides in and out of my back pocket with the greatest of ease. You can even put credit cards in the sheath but I don't do that with mine.

IMG_1736.jpg

I like the looks of the Bark River Essential too but I don't own one.

Rick, I hope my experiences are unusual, your knife looks very impressive.

Thanks, Will

I don't know how many would call these pocket fixed blades, but they do the job for me. My Hackman Tapio Wirkalla small puukko fits the bill perfectly, there are a couple of other small puukkos out there. More readily available, and still in a traditional vein, are my micro Kephart and UNK from Scott Gossman.

Linda Ferguson mini. I need to carry this one. Real nice knife.
photobucket-4934-1326118521722.jpg

photobucket-4913-1326118564138.jpg

Looks like I need to clean the bolsters.:eek:

This 8-1/2" OAL Diamond J in differentially heat treated 1095 is larger than the beauties shown so far, but I find it very comfortable in the pocket due to the sheath design. I only carry it in the mountains, where discretion isn't a real issue, but my shirt usually keeps it out of sight, anyway. I bought this one on the BF Knife Makers board - lots of great custom fixed blades for mere pennies a serving to choose from over there.

DiamondJEurydiceFB01-1.jpg

DiamondJEurydiceFB07-1.jpg

DiamondJEurydice013.jpg

Here's one from Jerry Halfrich. It's his "Jack Russell" model. 6 1/8" with a pocket clip sheath.
DSC02085.jpg

Here's a City Knife by Eldon Talley. It's 5 3/4". I carry it in a KSF pocket sheath.
IMAG0190r.jpg

I like a lot of knifes i'm seeing, especially the BRKT City knife, but...(there's always a but isn't there?) I am poor/ cheap so is there anything along the original thread for around 100 dollars?
Don't mean to steel the thread, just wondering

The ESEE Candiru should be on virtual shelves in a week or so (it comes in 3 different coating colors, and 2 handle scale choices.) There's also the TOPS Sparrow Hawke, which is similar (no blade or handle color options, unfortunately.) They're both 5" overall, (2" blade, 3" handle,) and 1/8 inch thick. Neither are traditional, though. (BTW, did you post this in the traditional forum on accident?)

Sparrow Hawke: http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=133

ESEE released pictures of the Candiru knife and it's handle scales separately, but here's a thread where someone photoshopped them together: http://jungletraining.com/forums/showthread.php?11527-Candiru-handle-choices

PS: Both well under $100, too, Lobo :)

The Scandi knives are very pocketable
They are between 75 to 80 mm around the 3" mark
I realy like the size and find the blade length very usable
And they are very light
All of these are from $25 to $50

Mora,
Original Classic #2/0 3" laminated blade
#73-164 3" carbon blade and a flat sheath

Brusletto
Hallingskarvet has a 2 3/4" blade the handle is a little thick for the pocket
Spikkekenven has a much thinner and londer handle

Iisakki Järvenpää
#5223 has a 3 3/8" blade and a nice leather sheath, and is very thin in the pocket

My Spyderco Swick 2 has been in my hip pocket for a couple of years now. It has filled in for everything from opening mail to field dressing mule deer. A bit under 6 inches. It has been discontinued, but a Swick 3 is rumored to be in the works.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

Hey folks... Some of these are drifting away from Traditional. Let's keep on track with our forum's guidelines please.

Thanks,

Well, I think the Folts Minimalist fits the bill. The CRKT version goes for about $20, and the ones by Alan Folts go for just over $100. I have the CRKT wharncliff one and it isn't a super steel, but holds an ok edge and does well for day to day use. Sharpens up easily.

-Xander

Back