Pointless knives , what are they good for ?

I got a Mini Grip with the sheepsfoot blade and I like it alot... but it still has a small pointed tip area.

Same with the White River Sendero Pack knife I have for hunting season. Kinda rounded, but still has a usable tip.

I would do just fine if both of these knives were reprofiled to get rid of the pointed tip, but they've got 'em so what the hey.

Horsewright Horsewright that Damascus Nutter is the shit. I need one. Call it the Cheeze Cutter and Peanut Butter Nutter. I'd use the hell out of that.

Closer than ya know! I really just rounded up one of my standard paring knives. Here's a couple unaltered (sorry for the pun), ones:

IAuU61i.jpg

Please educate me if I'm missing something ! ;)
:rolleyes:

Seems like you already listed most of the reasons. One you missed is that maybe folks just like the way they look, which is a perfectly fine reason to like something. Or do you only buy things for functional reasons?

I've used pointed knives for cutting calves.
Spear, clip, warnclif, and drop points
I have also used the rounded spey blades.

I much prefer rounded spey blades.

The first time a bigger calf hoofs you in the groin, you understsnd why a less pointy tip is beneficial.

Happened to me!

Also, my lomg spey blades make the best sandwich making, condiment spreading, peanut butter/regular butter etc blade.

Lot of cowboys use a rounded tip knife and in cowboy vernacular its known as a "nutter"

Here's a deal I did a while back on some. I was hesitant to build such a knife at first because I too was in the same thought process as D DocJD

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/well-its-pointless.1508574/

On our own ranch, the wife asked me to make a damascus one. She wanted a smaller knife that could be passed around to whoever was doing the cutting:

byDZhRK.jpg

9qkJxIu.jpg

QQjRQzJ.jpg

Here our young friend Emma is using it to cut her first calf:

IvOo8Ae.jpg

2KHNQh2.jpg

My daughter used it too:

opF9qDY.jpg

6VzkdXh.jpg

The wife as well:

RR5aP4l.jpg

E33vXyT.jpg

This knife is used just for this specialized task. Each gal pictured above has and carries a regular edc too:

vCC4v3C.jpg

YOl9CCV.jpg

cEietTX.jpg

This little guy has worked well for us:

NXacXcb.jpg

2Syo8aS.jpg
I first saw these pictures a while back on another post. While I understand the process, I don't like these pictures any more now than I did back then!!!?!! And grandparents on both sides of our family lived on farms.
Poor cattle.

When it comes to knives, n98%
:rolleyes:

Seems like you already listed most of the reasons. One you missed is that maybe folks just like the way they look, which is a perfectly fine reason to like something. Or do you only buy things for functional reasons?

When it comes to knives, 98% functional, 2% appearance.
(My wife says I don t have very good taste. Life is probably easier that way.)

Back