Pointy sucker

Evening Gents, just finished this little brute. Now that its done I'm thinking its more small fighter than hunter. Blade is hollow ground Takefu VG10 core san mai with a G10 handle. Guard is 416 stainless that good mate Shawn McIntyre (MS) forged down from round stock, beautifully annealed I must add. OAL 9 3/4" X 5" blade. Thanks for looking, Peter.

Takefu san mai knife by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

IMG_0186 by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

Takefu san mai by Peter Del Raso, on Flickr

Every time I see one of your posts here(knife's), I truly like what you do. It's done with precision and flair.

Thank you kindly everyone. Lots of influences from other makers in this one, very happy how everything tied together.

This lovely knife would have fit right in with the 1960s Industrial Design Movement :cool:
What a great knife :thumbsup: Very nicely done.

Ray

Hi Peter - love the design and choice of material. I've been wanting to make a San Mai fighter lately - is that the 67 layer Takefu/VG-10?

Hi Peter - love the design and choice of material. I've been wanting to make a San Mai fighter lately - is that the 67 layer Takefu/VG-10?

Thanks TK, the stock I used was 4.5mm thick DP 15 layers + VG10 core. They no longer make this stock in 5mm. I spoke with Kaoruko and she mentioned they were considering producing 6mm stock this year but I have not heard anything yet.

If you have not used this material before keep in mind the cladding stays incredibly soft after heat treat. Also the material is incredibly accurate, if your grinds are out a little bit it really shows. I find a warm ferric etch, lots of 2 minute dips, to give the best contrast.

Thanks TK, the stock I used was 4.5mm thick DP 15 layers + VG10 core. They no longer make this stock in 5mm. I spoke with Kaoruko and she mentioned they were considering producing 6mm stock this year but I have not heard anything yet.

If you have not used this material before keep in mind the cladding stays incredibly soft after heat treat. Also the material is incredibly accurate, if your grinds are out a little bit it really shows. I find a warm ferric etch, lots of 2 minute dips, to give the best contrast.

Thanks for the insights Peter - most helpful. Who do you recommend I contact as a supplier?

I buy mine direct from the Australian distributor at shows TK, I've never actually placed an order with them. Takefu Specialty Steels has a website you can use to send an email requesting info on their US distributor. Would have to be much cheaper buying it in the US as opposed to having it shipped from Australia. Get back to me if you can't find the US seller. Peter.

Last edited:
I buy mine direct from the Australian distributor at shows TK, I've never actually placed an order with them. Takefu Specialty Steels has a website you can use to send an email requesting info on their US distributor. Would have to be much cheaper buying it in the US as opposed to having it shipped from Australia. Get back to me if you can't find the US seller. Peter.

Roger on that Peter - take care :thumbsup:

Back