Police 4 K390: Rusting Liners, and Rust

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81418&start=80

This thread prompted me to re-think EDC-ing my Police 4. I have sweaty hands and the likelihood of my sweat seeping into the lock and liners is very high. Judging from the photos, the rust is all over the insides. To have to breakdown and maintain this knife every other week seems like a lot of work? Is this typical of K390? Is there something about the liners not being the same material as typical liners? Or is there some sort of reaction with the K390 being so close to the liners?

What can I do to prevent rusting liners on this Police 4? Coat everything in oil? Let a patina build naturally? Any advice/knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks.

edit: It seems spyderco forum is not working at the moment.

Last edited:
Might swab out the inside lightly with cotton swab and some mineral oil. Of course you'd have more lint sticking to it potentially, but go light and see if that works for you. Or maybe shoot some WD40 in there once a week when carrying.

Yes, it's typical. Not just in Florida, but in dry California as well. None of my other Spyderco liners does that.

Yes, it's typical. Not just in Florida, but in dry California as well. None of my other Spyderco liners does that.

That's disappointing to hear...in dry conditions. I have one being delivered tomorrow. Maybe it's a bad choice for my environs. (Nearly as rainy as the Pacific NW.)

To clarify, my liners weren't pitted, they just had big black splotches on both sides. I rubbed them off with a Froglube soaked cloth when putting the knife back together (do this on all my knives), and was a bit more generous with oil on the pivot (usually, capillary force sucks Pivot oil between liners and scales).

I assume the P4 has carbon steel liners, which is kind of cool if you think about it.

Frog Lube, Fluid Film....use a GOOD corrosion preventive. Ezox, Rig, Hornady One Shot, WD 40 speciality anti-corrosion are great too, but I wouldn’t use them if food prep was involved

To clarify, my liners weren't pitted, they just had big black splotches on both sides. I rubbed them off with a Froglube soaked cloth when putting the knife back together (do this on all my knives), and was a bit more generous with oil on the pivot (usually, capillary force sucks Pivot oil between liners and scales).

I don't plan on disassembling the knife. And I don't care about a little black oxide buildup, as long as there's no destructive corrosion with reasonable care.

If that's the case, I would say you are good to go - if you can care for the blade and its tang, you'll be OK with the liners, too.

I got my K390 Police 4 from the Exchange. The first time when I disassembled it, I was also surprised to see the liners were in nearly black color. I was wondering if the previous owner did some special treatment and I never checked with him because it did/does not bother me. So the liners are not stainless steel, correct?

Might swab out the inside lightly with cotton swab and some mineral oil. Of course you'd have more lint sticking to it potentially, but go light and see if that works for you. Or maybe shoot some WD40 in there once a week when carrying.

WD40 is not a protective oil, its a penetrating oil and wont last.

thanks for all the replies. looks like its not that big of a deal since its not really corrosive as long as i keep it lubed up.

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81418&start=80
To have to breakdown and maintain this knife every other week seems like a lot of work? .

Excuse me? Sorry, I'm afraid if you don't like maintaining your knife you should stick to replaceable straight edge folders found at wallmart. Also I agree with other users suggesting car wax or mineral oil. Car wax works great because it doesn't come off easily and doesn't get very messed up when doing boxes and leather.

Reactions: Mo2
WD40 is not a protective oil, its a penetrating oil and wont last.

Nothing lasts forever. It's an alternative that many folks have in their homes. Not the alternative I use. I prefer mineral oil, or Super Lube or Slip 2000 EWL which I have on hand for my firearms. Tuf-Glide on occasion.

There are many options available.

I'll take it under advisement. Right now I have more oil than I know what to do with. (I've got some Liberty Gun Lubricants that I was gifted by the owner that I've yet to get around to evaluating.) :p

I've heard some of the fellas on a gun forum I'm a regular on discuss Lucas in the past.

Excuse me? Sorry, I'm afraid if you don't like maintaining your knife you should stick to replaceable straight edge folders found at wallmart. Also I agree with other users suggesting car wax or mineral oil. Car wax works great because it doesn't come off easily and doesn't get very messed up when doing boxes and leather.

Knives are not guns, they don't need to be disassembled to be cleaned or lubed. CRK knives being the exception, but Spydercos are designed to be maintained w/o disassembly.

Knives are not guns, they don't need to be disassembled to be cleaned or lubed. CRK knives being the exception, but Spydercos are designed to be maintained w/o disassembly.
I mean, no that's not right. But hey whatever works for you.

Back