Police 4 Questions

Mine also came in today (got it on sale at BHQ). Switched out the cheap factory clip with a deep carry MXG which was a tad too long for my GB1 while the GB1 is now waiting for the shorter version of the MXG deep carry to arrive. I have more photos posted in my usual hangout at the Carothers subform:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/what-kind-of-folder-do-you-carry.1461660/page-57#post-19299824

32PV4h8.jpg

Never had a Police of any kind and I'm quite pleased with this one. Just so for me to know that I'm not the only inept dumb-dumb:

This model is not Spydie-flick friendly, right? Also to close one-handed, release the compression lock with the holding hand finger (in my case the thumb) give it a moderate downward shake to disengage the blade from its locked position and then close with same hand. Anything else?!

PS. If you cut your index finger trying my method, don't come running and crying to me!

Last edited:
I just noticed something odd that everyone might want to check on theirs.
After carrying it for a day and many cycles opening and closing I decided to loosen the pivot a couple of degrees to turn it into a dropper.

I was testing torx bits just holding them in my fingers to get the right size before putting it into my driver when I hit on the right size and as I was testing the fit the screw turned just with the bit in my fingers.

I wonder how long it would have been before it just fell out with use ?

I pulled the screw out, put purple loctite on it and put it back in.

While I was at it I pulled the screws for the pocket clip to unbend it slightly for winter weight pants and saw that the screws had pre applied blue thread locker on them.

? ? ? why not the pivot screw ? ? ?

Another thought, maybe best put in Maintenance and Tinkering Forum, . . . some assemblies I work with rather than use loctite, in a similar fastener as the blade pivot, there is a spiral wound spring (regular old spring) down in the hollow "nut" and when the screw is threaded into the hollow nut it compressed the spring a fair bit and the screw doesn't come loose or fall out ever though the assembly is subject to constant vibration in use. This allows an adjustable pivot tension without the risk of the adjustment changing or the screw falling out.

I'm sure they make springs small enough to go in the pivot nut.
soooooo . . . .

Switched out the cheap factory clip with a deep carry MXG
That's a really nice looking clip you put on.

I have to say though that I was pleasantly surprised by the finish on the stock clip. It isn't the shiny black paint like on the Endura it is a semi gloss, almost matt finish and I am happy with it.

My posts seem to come in trilogies.
Sorry.
One other thing I noticed early on . . . I was sitting and handling the knife and it struck me how light this Police 4 is for the size.
It is very light but it doesn't feel cheep or too light if that makes sense.
Just a bit ago I was looking in at the liners and they are as relieved / lightened as much as possible; they are ladders as apposed to sheets of metal with round holes drilled into them.

I was also thinking at the time how I am glad the lock release does not have the dip in it. I forget who's innovation that was but I don't seem to need that and prefer the look on the Police specifically without it.

That's a really nice looking clip you put on.

Same clip I have for my Caribbean (which conveniently hits the flat spot dead on). It can be used on a bunch of Spydies, not the least of which includes the Endura, Delica, Manix 2, Manix 2 XL, and a bunch more

Just a bit ago I was looking in at the liners and they are as relieved / lightened as much as possible; they are ladders as apposed to sheets of metal with round holes drilled into them.

Just like the Manix 2 XL. The factory Manix 2 XL feels lighter than the factory Manix 2, even though it is heavier. But the size of the knives and the perceived weight to size ratio is deceptive, and the 2 XL feels subjectively lighter than it's little brother because of this.

I was also thinking at the time how I am glad the lock release does not have the dip in it. I forget who's innovation that was but I don't seem to need that and prefer the look on the Police specifically without it.

"David Boye dent". I have never really felt they were necessary. I have them on the Endura and Delica, and have never had problems with them wanting to unlock in the hand, but I can't honestly say whether they would if they didn't have the dent. But I have owned many Triad lock folders, none of which have had the David Boye dent, and they also didn't tend to come unlocked in my hand.

Police 4 and Ulize

I am a bit sad I did not pick up a Ulize. I liked the Police 3 G10 so much I bought 2.
And I bought my Police 4 G10 new as well. I am sorry they discontinued them...
If you see a cool knife they have jump! Or it may disappear!
So far my favorite Police is the Police 3 G10 (sorry Sal!). I really love it.
The Police 4 is an Ultra-Duty Endura to me...with a gonzo steel. I had to get it!

The Police g10 scaled knives have a premium feel...all of mine are epic.
I live where the length is no problem...and I feel bad for those who can't
carry them when they want. Gravity knives and OTF autos are legal carry here
too.

WHEEEEEE!

Y5KA4dE.jpg

Back