Police flat grind

I just received my Cutlery Shoppe catalog today and saw a picture of a flat grind G-10 Police. The SS version is a hollow grind. I have a G-10 Police with the Spyderedge, but it's hollow ground. Has the G-10 Police always been a flat grind?

I like the flat grind. Perhaps I'll add a plainedge Police to my collection.

Also, I've always found that my flat grind blades seem to cut better than my hollow ground ones. I use them mostly on cardboard or opening packages, but the Dragonfly (SS Gin-1), Calypso Jr Lt., and Military (440V) seem to slice easier and hold their edges better than my AFCK (ATS-34), Endura (AUS-8), and Delica (Gin-1...actually G-2...old school). I know the steels and blade profiles are different, but for that sort of routine stuff, I would expect very similar performance. My Starmate's too new to make an informed judgement, but the thickness of the blade and the hollow grind seem to increase the effort that I use in slicing.

Does each type of grind excel at different tasks?

------------------
...I find your lack of faith disturbing...

Gadgetman - the first run of G10 Police models had the sabre grind of the stainless police. Hollow grind with a swedge. Not too many made that way.

sal

After looking at the catalog again, I realized the text said that the flat grind on the G10 Police was new. I guess that I was too excited to read the text.

Since I have a G10 Police already, I'll wait and hope that the Stainless Police will be offered in a flat grind.

Okay, now I'm really feeling foolish. I was searching the archives for info on the Calypso Jr. ltwt and found a thread from over a year ago about spyderco's new catalog with the flat grind G-10 police model.

Duh!
redface.gif

Back