Police,FRN

mwhich50

Gold Member
I am very excited about the new lightweight Police 4. Finally! I love big, thin, light, value knives. (I am so tired of 3.25"-3.50" knives). Endura lightweights have always been my favorites. I'm sure the Police 4 lightweight will be my new fav. The price should only be about $20-$25 more than the Endura. I hope the colored versions will be coming in 2020. Blue, and orange would be great.

element.png

I will also be snagging the new Native Chief as soon as they become available. It's going to be a good year. :D

element.png

Lightweight police is the one ill be getting instead of new endura,does anyone know release date and blade steel?

I've I've never been interested in an endura. I like the Police but always worried about the stainless being slick, wasn't really interested in the G10 model.
This isn't going to top my list but I may pick one up eventually.
IMO its closer to a larger Delica than the Endura. I'm sure it will be well received.

I am very excited about the new lightweight Police 4. Finally! I love big, thin, light, value knives. (I am so tired of 3.25"-3.50" knives). Endura lightweights have always been my favorites. I'm sure the Police 4 lightweight will be my new fav. The price should only be about $20-$25 more than the Endura. I hope the colored versions will be coming in 2020. Blue, and orange would be great.

element.png

I will also be snagging the new Native Chief as soon as they become available. It's going to be a good year. :D

element.png

The LW Police4 and the Native Chef were just listed on Spyderco's "New Product Reveal" page. They are priced at $165/$240 MSRP and $107.25/$156 MAP, respectively. I plan to buy 1 of each.

Last edited:

element.png

element.png
These two are at the top of my list, with the NC being at the very top.

I'll get the Police lightweight. I like the NC a lot but $156 is more than I'm willing to play for boring black and S30V so I'm gonna wait and see if we get a BladeHQ or DLT version before I sink any money into that one.

I'll get the Police lightweight. I like the NC a lot but $156 is more than I'm willing to play for boring black and S30V so I'm gonna wait and see if we get a BladeHQ or DLT version before I sink any money into that one.

The Native Chief does seem pricey. Almost the same price as a Military G10. But the LW Police seems like a real bargain in comparison. Buying one those should be a "no brainer" for a Spyderco fan.

What I find interesting about the Native Chief (at 4") is that it actually signals the creation of a new "family" of Spyderco knives (similiar to the Tenacious family of knives) based on the Efficient (at 3" which is one of my favorite "budget" Spyders) with the simultaneous release of 2 other new models -- the Emphasis (at 3.25") and Insistent (at 2.5"), all in G10, which will cover the full range of sizes; the only difference being that the Native Chief will use S30V steel while all of the others will just 8Cr13Mov.

So, since I already have an Efficient, it looks like I'll also be buying an Emphasis in addition to the Native Chief to make a 3 knife set from this new family. Won't be buying an Insistent because I generally do not purchase any knives w/2.5" or shorter blades.

Last edited:
I love (trust) VG-10, and S30V. I have bought a bunch of blue, brown, orange, and OD handled knives lately, but I am starting to appreciate black again.

I have a Police 4 LW on pre-order. I was happy to see it offered in VG-10 and at a price point I can justify. A 4 1/4"+ folder is not going to see much carry time by me, but I need one to round out my Seki City LW models, and because I want a big bladed folder. I hope they are released sooner than later and black scales are fine with me.

Glad I saw this, this should be a really cool model. I don't care for the endura as much but love the millie and this looks like a blend of the 2 with a little more slice and a little more length.

I'm not sure the NC is "pricier" when compared to P4. In my opinion S30v vs VG-10 and g10 vs FRN justify the $50 price difference. NC is $20 cheaper than the base Military model (with about the same size) and $16 more than the base PM2 model. I say the price is right and fair.

Hi Kwselke,

Welcome to our forum.

It is a large knife, but it carries like a smaller model. Of course local laws do come into play. I carry my proto quite a bit, but I do carry a smaller model as well.

sal

Im all about that P4LW

I was too b4 I noticed that the LWP4 is only listed at 0.3 oz less in wt than the G10P4 (4.2 vs 4.5) that I already own. Not sure it's worth buying for such small a weight difference.

The only reason for me to buy it now IMO is just for the FRN scales, which arguably would be better under certain circumstances than G10 but I don't think that will be reason enough for me to buy one now.

However, I'm still all in to buy a Native Chief when it arrives. :)

I was too b4 I noticed that the LWP4 is only listed at 0.3 oz less in wt than the G10P4 (4.2 vs 4.5) that I already own. Not sure it's worth buying for such small a weight difference.

The only reason for me to buy it now IMO is just for the FRN scales, which arguably would be better under certain circumstances than G10 but I don't think that will be reason enough for me to buy one now.

However, I'm still all in to buy a Native Chief when it arrives. :)

The real draw for the FRN model is that it's roughly 1/2 the price of the G10 model, using knifecenter prices as for the price comparison. The G10 is better all around, based on the spec sheet, but you pay the extra price as well.

The real draw for the FRN model is that it's roughly 1/2 the price of the G10 model, using knifecenter prices as for the price comparison. The G10 is better all around, based on the spec sheet, but you pay the extra price as well.

Makes sense if you don't have G10P4 yet but just a waste of $ IMO if you already have one (as I do), unless you just have to collect every Police variation or if the FRN handle has some special attraction to you.

Last edited:
Makes sense if you don't have G10P4 yet but just a waste of $ IMO if you already have one (as I do), unless you just have to collect every Police variation or if the FRN handle has,sll some special attraction to you.

Agreed. If you already have the the G10 model I wouldn't see a point to the lesser model, unless you wanted another one and didn't want to spend the money for another G10. I don't foresee anyone replacing the g10 model with the FRN model unless they really need the added stain resistance of VG10.

Back