Photos Police4 pics and impressions

I'm just putting this out there. I refuse to call this model the Police 4. It will be, from the day I get it, the Military Police.

I'm a little surprised it wasn't coined long before. I don't use the number when I'm referring to my knives anyway. Sounds dorky. My Native 5 is just my Native.

Last edited:
got mine. what i noticed with it in my hand that i didnt from pics is....

no david boyle dent, dont know why i didnt see that earlier. not sure how this without would be an improvement other than less cost to manufacture?

also a slight angle or bend down at the tip, just like the police 3 sort of. nothing major and no deal breaker, but wasnt expecting that from the pics. prefer a pointier tip but guess i should have looked at the pics closer. still a big folder and a winner.

got mine. what i noticed with it in my hand that i didnt from pics is....

no david boyle dent, dont know why i didnt see that earlier. not sure how this without would be an improvement other than less cost to manufacture?

also a slight angle or bend down at the tip, just like the police 3 sort of. nothing major and no deal breaker, but wasnt expecting that from the pics. prefer a pointier tip but guess i should have looked at the pics closer. still a big folder and a winner.
I'd say both of those are visible in this pic from post #39. Either would be a simple mod to fix to your preference as well.
sP8Vg6Fh.jpg

Last edited:
I am very excited that it doesn't have a Boyle dent on the back lock. I absolutely despise of those things. Can't wait to pick one of these up it keeps getting harder not to cave..

I am very excited that it doesn't have a Boyle dent on the back lock. I absolutely despise of those things. Can't wait to pick one of these up it keeps getting harder not to cave..

why? function reason or cosmetic reason? thank you Sir.

I'd say both of those are visible in this pic from post #39. Either would be a simple mod to fix to your preference as well.
sP8Vg6Fh.jpg
absolutely. i just missed them somehow...so excited didnt see what i didnt want to.:) still a great knife im already carrying and using it.

why? function reason or cosmetic reason? thank you Sir.
I think Spyderco makes great designs! Kissing millennials asses about tip up tip down aside.
Anyways I have no qualms with the symmetry. I don't expect everything to have exactly my designs. What would I complain about?
The idea of modding the Military Police for a rediculous aesthetic like Swedge or slope to tip? Come on! Why the hell can anyone have such rediculous angst for tradition and dismiss tip-down!?

I think Spyderco makes great designs! Kissing millennials asses about tip up tip down aside.
Anyways I have no qualms with the symmetry. I don't expect everything to have exactly my designs. What would I complain about?
The idea of modding the Military Police for a rediculous aesthetic like Swedge or slope to tip? Come on! Why the hell can anyone have such rediculous angst for tradition and dismiss tip-down!?
Well, in all seriousness there are tasks that require (or are at the least greatly enhanced by) a straight-to-tip spine, ala the Military/Para Military blade profile.

the discussion you quoted was on not having the david boyle dent on the lock back release??

i do like a pointier tip and the david boyle detent, but no where did i discuss tip up or down etc? so huh? you lost me on that preach.

Oh, as far as tip down - for me, a solid NO. I really tried to adjust, but cannot stand it.

GadNcs1.jpg

Thanks guys! That is a copy and paste from when I got the knife a couple of months ago or so. At that point I had only carried it for about a week. Since then I have carried and used it quite a bit more and my opinions haven't really changed at all.

I still really like it and think others will too. It is a large knife (or maybe just long) and for many that will be the biggest issue. I like big knives and find that if you carry a knife for a while it has a way of shrinking on you. Otherwise it is a well refined design. It carries very slim, slices very well and packs a lot of blade in a svelte package.

So I got my police at the end of last week, been in my pocket ever since. And your comments above that I highlighted are true. This knife fits nicely in the pocket (I added a deep carry clip) and doesnt chew up real estate for such a big knife.

Handle length aside, the knife looks like a much smaller knife clipped in pocket. Based on how it sticks out, it appears to be a smaller knife than my PM2 or even Para 3 with a deep carry clip. Then you pull it out and open it...

Mine hasn't left my pocket either. Even stayed IWB of my boxers as I lounge around. The more I use it, the more it seems to shrink in size.

been carrying mine since i got it. factory edge wasnt great but brown stones put it to a worker real fast. i have a mule in k390, im more impressed with the ease of sharpening all things considered on this police 4. ive gotten over my dislike of angled tip and no doyle dent. this knife is a winner for those who like big folders.

Sal responded in a Native thread regarding the Dent. He said it was omitted for safety. Vague reference to smaller lock bars. Although it seems it's being omitted on several newer models.

I never liked the Dent. So won't miss it.

The dent was added for safety when we learned that the Native and Police could be accidentally unlocked with the fleshy part of you hand when squeezed. When we made the Native 5, we made the lock well smaller which eliminated that problem. On the Police 4, we shrunk up the lock well like the Native 5.

sal

Back