Policy for 2019

JK Knives

I keep saying I’m going to do this, but haven’t been enforcing it.

All custom designs will be 100% paid for when I notify the customer I am getting ready to start it.
If a standard model has an unusual feature request that would make it difficult to sell should the customer back out, it will be paid in full before starting it.
I hate to do this but I feel it’s time to look out for myself too.

makes sense - especially since it's less than a 30-day turnaround at that point, right?

I think it is a good idea, persons should be as a good as their word if they are going to purchase a custom knife or they should really examine their budget beforehand before they commit and not back out. I know things happen in life, but backing out leaves the maker with expenses and having to try and resell the items, although I think there is a good demand amongst JK customers and any resell items would go fairly quickly.

I see nothing wrong with this policy.

Personally, I don't like paying for a knife that may be months or years before it gets finished but that certainly does not seem the case here.

My communication with you has been stellar and your reputation on these forums is beyond reproach. I am really looking forward to that notification that will initiate the transfer of monies. That means the knife will follow soon after.

As a bit of a craftsman myself, I have some experience with the fickle nature of customers. I would not wish that on anybody...

I see no problem with that policy - you have to look out for yourself first. Your a stand up guy who does great work and you should not get the short end of the stick.

In your situation, I don't see anything wrong with that policy. When you lay out money for materials, put labor into a project, and then someone is a no pay/no show, that sucks.

You do have to look out for yourself. People that know your work and integrity know that you will deliver!

Normally a 1 to 1 1/2 week wait.

exactly!
I've waitied 10 days for online orders too many times to be happy -- waiting 10 days + shipping for a custom order after paying for it is nothing.
(I've had other makers take up to 2 years to deliver after taking my $$ or getting their end of a trade deal - on an item that was theoretically already made!)

well paypal is spinning a green circle on my 12th try if you have a bunch of extra money john please send it back lol. I don't think it went through ill call these tech winners in the morning. good thing there is many ways to send cash in this day in age.

While I don't have any problem with the policy, personally, I have to believe that if you are beginning work on the knife that means you have already paid out for the materials.

If you are waiting to get money from the customer AFTER you have purchased the materials, that still allows someone to cancel the order when you send the "I am starting on the knife - pay up" email goes out. In other words, the policy as stated does not deter people from backing out, rather it provides an opportunity to back out after you have bought the raw materials.

I would think that it would be more efficient and effective to request a percentage before you order the raw materials, non-refundable of course. In this way, you are covered for the materials outlay, and if the person that ordered the knife then fudges-out, they have paid at least for the materials and you can sell the knife for a discount and still make your expected retail amount.

Just a thought to consider the purpose of the policy vs what the proposed solution will actually provide in terms of protecting your business.

best

mqqn

well paypal is spinning a green circle on my 12th try if you have a bunch of extra money john please send it back lol. I don't think it went through ill call these tech winners in the morning. good thing there is many ways to send cash in this day in age.
No payment received

Back